Networking events

I’m done, never again. Had a free evening, haven’t been to one in a while, decided to go try to meet some people in the business. Next day, multiple request on social media from people wanting to get coffee and give them career advice. One person gave my card to their boss, they called and tried to pitch me something… one person emailed me a number of times, left messages on my work phone and personal cell phone asking me to put in a good word for them… people are way out of line. From now on, if I have a free evening, I’m drinking at home alone.

yep it’s so annoying when you attend a networking event and run into people trying to network

You made rookie moves brah. Never hand out your business card, say you forgot them. Collect them and reach out if need be. Generally those things are full of low quality people. Better off either at alumni events or industry cocktail events if you feel the need to research.

where was this?

I’ll network with you buddy

I kind of like how forward you guys are with the whole networking thing although I’m sure I visibly cringe every time someone asks if they can ‘reach out’ to me and ‘grab a coffee’

Ma boy Tyrone has a theory that in the past, girls and brokeback boys used these events to fuck their way into opportunities and later they would justify to friends that those opportunities appeared from “networking”. Clickbait marketing people found out that networking was a hot topic and started pumping out content about it on the internet but never mentioned the fucking part, now a bunch of people go to those events to “network” and not to fuck their way into opportunities like they were supposed to

You know zero people names Tyrone

im good friends with him and his brother DeAndre

Look at the high and mighty among this crew. have you all forgot what it was like fresh out of uni trying to land a “real job”. How quick one is to manifest into a supreme being looking down upon the nether. I urge everyone to look into the abyss of their hearts and follow the paths of the kind seniors before them and accept those coffee invitations from the bright eyed, beautiful 20 something naive girls, seeking to get their foot in the door. Fellow man will do just fine, but it’s our obligation to cultivate the young women of tomorrow, today! Better yet, say you are busy during working hours but can grab a drink or two. James, Robert, Bryan will internalize the tools necessary to evolve into a position but young isabella needs hand holding. Do your civil duty and help stop gender inequality.

I went to some CFA networking event a long time ago and met some people whose companies I thought I might want to work for. But them I realized they wanted to work where I worked. So I guess grass is always greener.

I take it we got a thesaurus for Hanukah.

I read this comment in the same vein as this song:

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAFuD-S-e_E]

Well, I agree that people become snobby after a while. However, I can say realistically that I never had some of the unreasonable plans or expectations of many of the job seekers on AF.

Great song.

I had to forcibly remove myself from getting pulled into a black hole of youtube 90’s songs.

Seriously man, you are such a grouch.