Have concussions ruined football for you?

As disgusted as I am with the way the NFL has dissembled about how playing football causes concussions,…and treatment of retired and often suffering players, I find myself watching just the same amount of NFL. Is that contradictory? On some podcast the other day, someone had the take that fans care only at the margin about danger to the players, and that seems right. After all, the ultimate vindication of this point of view is the blockbuster success of the UFC. Thoughts?

Well, they’ve taken significant steps in recent years to improve the playing conditions around concussions and as frustrating as the calls can be the targeting rules in college are huge. My brothers were both full scholarship players in college just before things went mainstream and it used to be far worse. One of them had like eight concussions in college and it was very lax. That said, I wonder if it won’t turn the tide towards soccer in the US as people choose sports for their kids, although soccer has its own share of concussions. It definitely has changed how I watch the game a lot more, I used to celebrate big hits and now root against them. I do think objectively there are many fewer big hits and concussions these days given the rule and culture change.

So it’s not the rape, murder and dog fighting?

Concussions haven’t ruined anything for me. I’ve never had a concussion.

How can a marine never have a concussion? I thought that was day one on Paris island.

That is true, lot fewer big hits and when I do see one I kinda cringe. In my office, colleagues’ kids are more tuned into lacrosse and hockey than football. I played D1 lax, and I find it very surprising that people think their kids won’t get head injuries in lax. Never played hockey but I suspect it’s the same.