Sign up  |  Log in

Rate your 2018

Would give 2018 a solid 9 out of 10. Accomplished a lot of big goals this year. No one got pregnant, I traveled a BUNCH, and spent many days/nights getting wasted with the squad and doing general degenerate things. Seriously this year was one for the books. There was only 1 goal I didn’t achieve, but will try harder next year. All in all, 90% kick ass 10% suck kind of year.

What about you bro’s? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

My year was pretty great too.  Happy with the progress I’ve made as a person and thankful for the lack of tragedy/ drama!

"But I don't think of you"..... Howard Roark

Portfolio is down Yoy. Sad! Still about 50x Nery’s net worth though, amiright??

“Visit the Water Cooler forum on Analyst Forum. It is the best forum.”
- Everyone

#winning

well totally thought this was a minimum day for markets. gf was over and i think i slept around 2 am watching black mirror movie. woke up around 5:15 am. ish going ot be a long day. anyways, id give this an 8. had steady ***** but unfortunatley it was only 1. i stopped cheating. life is getting less lit. its a different  kind of happiness, there is more continuity. Like i feel like i am making an investment vs before it was more prestige for pulling hot women and having ur buddies see it.

now ohai is worth 20m vs 7m he tried to claim. his net worth just keeps growing even though his strat is down 40%.

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.

It was alright. Got my health and good looks so can’t really complain.

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

I’d rate 2018 a magenta out of visible spectrum.

you basically need to come from a target school pedigree/work at prestigious firm in the US/have a really good connection.

- AF hivemind

Year i realize i wont hit my career goals and will

have to settle for less most likely. Sad!

This year was just a continuation of my life which I rate really high. Everything does always go my all the time but the big things do. 

I’m happy, healthy and have food and a place to live. Life is quite grand. 9/10 year for sho!

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

Beat benchmark by over 600 bps. Good year, right?  Three year number is beating BM by 400 bps annualized.  Good year, right?  Five year number is beating BM for over 200 bps annualized.  Good year, right?

AUM is down about 12%.  Not such a great year.

hpracing007 wrote:

It was alright. Got my health and good looks so can’t really complain.

This you brah?

LOL - j/k dude… But try NOT to cringe at that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

CEO10K-DAY wrote:

hpracing007 wrote:

It was alright. Got my health and good looks so can’t really complain.

This you brah?

LOL - j/k dude… But try NOT to cringe at that.

hahaha would be embarrassing in real life….having it recorded for the generations to come is horrendous! 

The look they give each other at the end! 

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

I’m physically hurt from watching that gif.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

The look she has “what the f@ck are you doing…go away”. 

Then again, a wise man once said “shy guys never **** beautiful women”. Shooters shoot. No shame in trying. Worth the try if the other option is to live in doubt for rest of your life. As they say:losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

TrackSuitInvestor wrote:

The look she has “what the f@ck are you doing…go away”. 

Then again, a wise man once said “shy guys never **** beautiful women”. Shooters shoot. No shame in trying. Worth the try if the other option is to live in doubt for rest of your life. As they say:losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

As long as you’re pretty. Don’t want to get #metoo’d

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

CEO10K-DAY wrote:

TrackSuitInvestor wrote:

The look she has “what the f@ck are you doing…go away”. 

Then again, a wise man once said “shy guys never **** beautiful women”. Shooters shoot. No shame in trying. Worth the try if the other option is to live in doubt for rest of your life. As they say:losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

As long as you’re pretty. Don’t want to get #metoo’d

Touché my friend, touché. 

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

comp_sci_kid wrote:

Year i realize i wont hit my career goals and will

have to settle for less most likely. Sad!

keep hustling man!!!

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

8 out of 10

A) 3 major accomplishments at work

B) Achieved a level of financial stability that gave me freedom I didn’t have before

C) Crossed 6 new countries off my bucket list

D) Added good people to my Rolodex

igor555 wrote:

comp_sci_kid wrote:

Year i realize i wont hit my career goals and will

have to settle for less most likely. Sad!

keep hustling man!!!

making MD at buldge bracket is proving to be harder than i anticipated

2018 Pro: ran 750+ miles mostly injury-free

2018 Haven’t Decided Whether Pro or Con Yet: wife is accidentally pregnant, again

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/tiger_woods_alleged_mistress_...

Worse than expected at least on a business plan. I took this opportunity to clean up the BS. 

play it again, Sam

Never underestimate random luck bro.  Worked for a douchebag at big bank where I was killing it, go in for my review and he says that I am still years away from making ED/SVP.  Years away, I can still here kuntz voice.  I was shattered, told my wife I think i just wasted my career cuz i thought it was going great…and dbag wasn’t going anywhere.  Fast forward 6 months, turns out the dbag has been sleeping with colleague, both married, wife files for divorce and wants all kinds of info on his carried interest…firm decides to fire him to protect itself from divorce lawyer.  Long story short, new guy comes in, likes me, and I went back from zero to hero.  Stuff happens all the time, nowadays, just move to get your bling – forget the loyalty thing it doesnt work no more.    

comp_sci_kid wrote:

igor555 wrote:

comp_sci_kid wrote:

Year i realize i wont hit my career goals and will

have to settle for less most likely. Sad!

keep hustling man!!!

making MD at buldge bracket is proving to be harder than i anticipated

I made it into an IB within 12 months from audit and new country. STOKED.

Starting lower than anticipated but going to use 2019 to absolutely boss as an Analyst.

Bring on 2019!

Malee wrote:

Never underestimate random luck bro.  Worked for a douchebag at big bank where I was killing it, go in for my review and he says that I am still years away from making ED/SVP.  Years away, I can still here kuntz voice.  I was shattered, told my wife I think i just wasted my career cuz i thought it was going great…and dbag wasn’t going anywhere.  Fast forward 6 months, turns out the dbag has been sleeping with colleague, both married, wife files for divorce and wants all kinds of info on his carried interest…firm decides to fire him to protect itself from divorce lawyer.  Long story short, new guy comes in, likes me, and I went back from zero to hero.  Stuff happens all the time, nowadays, just move to get your bling – forget the loyalty thing it doesnt work no more.    

comp_sci_kid wrote:

igor555 wrote:

comp_sci_kid wrote:

Year i realize i wont hit my career goals and will

have to settle for less most likely. Sad!

keep hustling man!!!

making MD at buldge bracket is proving to be harder than i anticipated

Having a good boss literally is a Godsend. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

There are no bad bosses, only ineffectual subordinates enlightened

Malee wrote:

Never underestimate random luck bro.  Worked for a douchebag at big bank where I was killing it, go in for my review and he says that I am still years away from making ED/SVP.  Years away, I can still here kuntz voice.  I was shattered, told my wife I think i just wasted my career cuz i thought it was going great…and dbag wasn’t going anywhere.  Fast forward 6 months, turns out the dbag has been sleeping with colleague, both married, wife files for divorce and wants all kinds of info on his carried interest…firm decides to fire him to protect itself from divorce lawyer.  Long story short, new guy comes in, likes me, and I went back from zero to hero.  Stuff happens all the time, nowadays, just move to get your bling – forget the loyalty thing it doesnt work no more.    

comp_sci_kid wrote:

igor555 wrote:

comp_sci_kid wrote:

Year i realize i wont hit my career goals and will

have to settle for less most likely. Sad!

keep hustling man!!!

making MD at buldge bracket is proving to be harder than i anticipated

not to sound arrogant but EDs are dime a dozen. Unless you are MD you have not made it

Most of the time, a boss has to be bad for someone else to be good for you. There aren’t enough positions for every subordinate to get promoted. So, if you are chosen to be promoted, usually, someone else doesn’t get it. Otherwise, everyone under that boss gets stuck, because no one leaves. 

“Visit the Water Cooler forum on Analyst Forum. It is the best forum.”
- Everyone

Not sure what your point is, but at my firm, at that time, you had to touch second to get to third.  The only guys who went from VP to MD were the guys who burn out and move to industry.  Then their story becomes, “they wanted to make me MD, but I chose to leave…”.  Don’t be that guy. 

It don’t matter EDs are a dime a dozen, I was making serious coin and doing coverage work, which is what you need to be closer to the revenue, and make MD.  When you make MD, you get a base bump, but your overall comp doesn’t change much (cuz now you’re only a young MD), but you do get another week of vacation.  That’s not “makin it”.

comp_sci_kid wrote:

Malee wrote:

Never underestimate random luck bro.  Worked for a douchebag at big bank where I was killing it, go in for my review and he says that I am still years away from making ED/SVP.  Years away, I can still here kuntz voice.  I was shattered, told my wife I think i just wasted my career cuz i thought it was going great…and dbag wasn’t going anywhere.  Fast forward 6 months, turns out the dbag has been sleeping with colleague, both married, wife files for divorce and wants all kinds of info on his carried interest…firm decides to fire him to protect itself from divorce lawyer.  Long story short, new guy comes in, likes me, and I went back from zero to hero.  Stuff happens all the time, nowadays, just move to get your bling – forget the loyalty thing it doesnt work no more.    

comp_sci_kid wrote:

igor555 wrote:

comp_sci_kid wrote:

Year i realize i wont hit my career goals and will

have to settle for less most likely. Sad!

keep hustling man!!!

making MD at buldge bracket is proving to be harder than i anticipated

not to sound arrogant but EDs are dime a dozen. Unless you are MD you have not made it

Oh serious coin. Anyway, I think the point he is making is that any rank below MD is basically formulaic by number of years of experience. You generally get there even without any preferential treatment or outstanding performance. Getting to MD usually is more unpredictable, as it is dependent on some combination of personal performance, luck and circumstances. Usually, budget is a consideration as well, as you usually get paid a bit more (unless you’re in UBS). That is another thing outside your control and requires some boss to support you. 

“Visit the Water Cooler forum on Analyst Forum. It is the best forum.”
- Everyone

I don’t know about that.  Been working a long time, you need to separate the macro (overall career) from the micro (your experience at a specific job).  More than anything, what affects the macro is whether you are lucky enough to experience a few bull markets in your career, especially at beginning of your career.  During these times jobs are abundant and you can advance fast…all your great idiosyncratic risks get swamped by this effect.  For the micro, i have friends who work their entire careers at goldman or citi and do great, while others move firms, cities and even countries and do great.  There isn’t one formula because luck is too big a factor, but yes, every subordinate can get promoted…just not at the same firm.  

ohai wrote:

Most of the time, a boss has to be bad for someone else to be good for you. There aren’t enough positions for every subordinate to get promoted. So, if you are chosen to be promoted, usually, someone else doesn’t get it. Otherwise, everyone under that boss gets stuck, because no one leaves. 

Ha, yes serious coin, by the boat load…that sounds retarded now when you point it out, but is how it felt then.  I had no money growing up so for me it was a big achievement . Honestly I don’t recall that getting to ED was a no brainer, I feel like you had to earn it, but maybe you guys are right.  

ohai wrote:

Oh serious coin. Anyway, I think the point he is making is that any rank below MD is basically formulaic by number of years of experience. You generally get there even without any preferential treatment or outstanding performance. Getting to MD usually is more unpredictable, as it is dependent on some combination of personal performance, luck and circumstances. Usually, budget is a consideration as well, as you usually get paid a bit more (unless you’re in UBS). That is another thing outside your control and requires some boss to support you.