Suits. (not the TV show)

First off, do you have to/are you recommended to wear a suit to work?

What do you think is good price range for a suit ? How many suits do you have in rotation?

I don’t have to wear a suit anymore. I have two suits now (blue and black). Roughly 500 each. Next time I’m in Asia I’m going to get a few bespoke suits

I don’t remember the last time I wore a suit.

I don’t see myself wearing a suit anytime in the future.

I do own one suit. I think I bought it from JC Penny. I usually buy separates.

I have a gray and a dark blue suit. Both are made to measure and look pretty good. I don’t wear them too often to work but I like the fact that when I need to wear a suit, I know that I have something that fits and looks ok.

To work, I wear a suit probably 2-3 times per month.

Jeez. Where do you guys work? I wear a suit 5x a week and have about 4 suits in a range of colours. I need a new suit about every 6 months. I buy made to measure.

Don’t listen to these fleece-vest wearing clowns bro, a suit is a must, an absolute must. If you work in hot weather areas, you can lose the tie in summer, but you should always wear a jacket. For starters, it looks more professional and builds trust with clients. You feel better about how you look. Girls treat you better. It creates separation from your non-work clothes and puts you in the right frame of mind to make money. It gives a place to carry your wallet, keys, and biz cards. Lastly, don’t even think about going to airport without a suit jacket. The quality of service you get improves, and immigration hassles melt away. Now look, the suit has gotta fit, make sure you get it tailored properly or better have it tailor made. Don’t look like a typical middle-aged American guy in baggy suit pants given to him by the pasha of Turkey. Get some shirts that fit properly too while you are at it. Rewatch first Kingsman movie if you need some inspiration.

In terms of price, a good quality, custom made, tropical wool suit that you can comfortably wear in both a New York winter and a Singapore summer will set you back US $300-600 (depending on wool quality). You can get cheaper but this will last and fit great. Branded wools like Loro Piana or Zegna will be more of course. Asian tailoring shops from HK, Singapore and Bangkok travel to all the big US and European cities for fitting services.

Is the sleeve cuff supposed to show at the bottom of the coat sleeve? If so, do they have short-sleeved jackets to go with my short-sleeved button-down shirts?

What color suit goes best with the navy/white New Balance 623’s?

I was traveling in the Mid West lately, and the standard business attire there seems to be sports coat, straight cut jeans, comfortable shoes, and dress shirt (sometimes polo shirt). I could have walked by STL and wouldn’t have known it.

It would have been pretty weird if you walked by me and had known .

Around here only bankers wear suits regularly. Most others go business casual (slacks, nice button down, and sometimes a sports coat). If I have an office day and no meetings of any importance I’ll wear jeans.

Meeting with clients is different. East coast I always suit up. Midwest and west coast I normally only wear a suit the first time I meet someone and they give me the “why are you wearing a suit?” And then it’s business casual after that.

Howzabout this jaunty ensemble? It’ll be spring before you know it!!

damn stl, they you very well. as nelly once said:

East Coast, I know you shaking right Down South, I know you bouncing right West Coast, I know you walking right, cause Midwest, I see you swinging right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WYHDfJDPDc

totally agree mate, the slacks with polo shirts tucked in look should die immediately.

some additional points.

black suits are a no-no

brown shoes or brown belts are only acceptable on casual friday

shirt collars should not have buttons on them and they should not have pockets on them either.

if you’re american, wear a suit at least 2 sizes down from what you’re used to. suits should not be baggy and if your tailor tries to get you in a baggy suit, get a new tailor

shirts should be slim fit and the sleeve should be a fraction longer than the suit jacket. cufflinks are essential.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk6G2MAhn8d/?utm_source=ig_embed

I don’t think we’re going to agree on much of anything.

4 days a week - I wear khakis with a tucked in polo. Brown belt and brown shoes. On Friday, I wear jeans and an untucked polo with New Balance 623’s. On Saturdays, I usually wear shorts and flip-flops.

The only suit I have is black. It used to be baggy, but I haven’t put it on in a few years, so it’s probably slim-fitting now.

The very few long-sleeve shirts I have have buttons on the collar and a pocket. I’m thinking about getting rid of them altogether (except for one white and one blue one).

I do not even know how to operate cufflinks. I have never worn them and never plan to.

I wear jeans and an untucked polo every day. I had a coworker who wore a suit and everyone made fun of him haha

lol :grin:

Some of us are fat and old, thus making it extremely difficult to pull off the current slim fit fashion. :broken_heart: :sob:

I went through a phase where I learned all I could about suits… was all about getting some bespoke suits someday and all… kinda pasted. When y’all go to an event where everyone is in suits are you looking at everyone’s suit, shoes, accessories? I sure don’t. What percentage of people do?

lol the self deprecating humor is great. i have 4 suits. got them all at macys. lol