RIP, 2019 version

RIP to Mean Gene Okerlund. First casualty of 2019.

RIP da Bears, gonna be the second.

And now Super Dave.

As well as “Captain” Daryl Dragon.

A friend of mine, Cary Trivanovich, was in the movie The Extreme Adventures of Super Dave; he was the chief mime.

I thought you were a Steelers fan.

You find one instance of me claiming to like the Stillers and I’ll eat my hat. Only thing I’ve ever said positive about them is they have the most Super Bowls and I only say that to annoying Pats fans.

Gene Okerlund? Are you talking about the former announcer of WWE.

I had to double check that, but you’re right, Mean Gene is no more. Fun fact, his wife is named Jeanne, so Gene and Jeanne.

Jack Bogle of Vanguard fame passed away earlier today.

One of my favorite authors and a friend to the investment community. (His disciples are another story.)

who are his disciples?

Bogle’s life story is interesting, and some of his books are great. But his appearances on TV did as much to muck up the active/passive debate as any fund manager’s marketing department.

Saint Larry Fink? Saint David Booth?

perhaps bogle’s death may be an ominous sign of changing trends for the passive movement both in terms of aum and performance.

I believe he’s referring to Bogleheads. Rabid fans of passive investing and low fees that are completely unwilling to admit there’s any place for active investing.

Edit: I guess I angered the Bogleheads.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php

^That’s exactly what I’m referring to.

I think Bogleheads have generally the right idea, but that forum really sucks the soul from me. For instance, here are some topics from the front page of one of the forums:

[Ally online savings now at 1.80%]

Credit Card Promo Rate Runs Out

What is US Bank up to?! Easy Checking Secret Changes!

How to Get Competitive Quotes on O&G Tax Prep Fees

They really need to have some kind of Nery guy join there and post every day about butts or something.

Totally agree, I am a cheapskate and this site depresses even me. I also dislike that Bogle and his disciples purposely muddy the waters by combining the issues of active vs passive and low fee vs high fee. Those issues have some overlap but are different.

thanks for showing me this gem. I had to layeth the smacketh down on that dude’s candy azs.

lol to be fair lots of “active” is really passive with just a high fee!