Detroit Auto Show 2019

Seems like a snoozer overall. Still, there are some interesting reveals.

Toyota Supra, starting at $50k. It has the same engine as the 340i with 335hp hp (likely underrated).

They have done a good job of disguising the BMW shared interior, but you can still tell that it has the same layout as the Z4. Also, it has an iDrive knob; the infotainment system is reskinned from BMW, which is great compared to what Toyota offers, even in Lexus models.

Ford Explorer, now is RWD based to improve packaging, but this might be a major point of differentiation among “car enthusiasts”. Also, it has a giant tablet in the middle, for some reason.

Lexus LC Convertible (no surprise here). For what it is worth, this will probably be a great used car bargain, as not many people seem to be interested in buying LC coupes over 911s.

Also, some new VW Passat is coming, apparently.

Now that we have new supra, can we see a reboot of Fast and Furious? Like a remake of original (not any of other horrible sequels)

its too masculine for today’s viewers!

LOL

Going to have to see the new Supra in person. It looks a little overstyled… (like the rx8, car with too many lines that don’t work together) small too

The new GT500 is pretty sweet.

So Toyota and BMW have a strategic partnership now?

Is it lasting till President’s day weekend I wonder? Going to a girls weekend out there then…

Why did y’all pick Detroit for a girls weekend in January?

One of us who is stuck there till summer 2020 so want to come cheer her up a bit. Flights are cheap and we’ll be indoors anyway -Detroit is not exactly famous for the outdoorsy stuff. We are going to the Ford museum/exhibition but would be cool if we catch the auto show too

I guess I’m the only one who thought the RWD based SUV was the most interesting vehicle here.

My brother used to have a Highlander. It was completely useless in snow.

i dont even understand why other cars exists. its beamer benz or tesla.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/think-electric-vehicles-are-great-now-just-wait-11545838139?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

This WSJ article on auto industry is interesting. Especially this prediction:

“Internal combustion isn’t going to get any better. Last year the chief financial officer for Continental, the Tier 1 global automotive supplier, lit up the chat rooms with his prediction that IC development at the German car makers will effectively end by 2023.”

2023 seems a little early… then again, perhaps not. What’s the lifespan of an engine family now, 6-7 years? That gets you to 2030, and a lot can happen in 11 years.

The Nissan Leaf was introduced in 2010 and the Harley Livewire is coming sometime this year. I never thought I’d see the day.