Bible Literacy

whats wrong with this?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/42729/walsh-trump-says-bible-literacy-classes-school-are-matt-walsh

“Nobody reads the Bible more than me” - President Trump

I think there’s a role for Biblical education in a secular education environment just as there is for historical literature in general (I got a ton of benefit from studying philosophy, theology and Biblical literature). I just think that given the state of the low bar of US education and the myriad of gaps its lower on my list of must haves for the standard person. Similarly I spent some course work on the Koran and that was hugely helpful.

Considering that it’s probay the most often-quoted piece of literature then I’d say it’s probably helpful to have at least a working knowledge of the contents therein.

Obviously it’s a good idea to teach people generally what the bible is about. It is a historical and influential book. The question is whether it will be taught in a religious or non religious manner.

It’s interesting that people keep referring to Bible as a historical document. It’s historical in the way that hollywood movies are based on a true story. It should only be taught in schools in comparative religions courses, which I think would be very valuable.

I don’t think anybody here referenced it as if it was a history book. That said, in the NT there are a number of events that are clearly linked to real historical occurrences and even parts of the OT can be linked to major historical events of that time period. I just think it seems like you made a point nobody was really debating.

the only part i like about the bible is the parables. like typical quotes from great people it gives my point a deeper meaning since it comes from a place of authority in the lives of most people.

And remember—this is an ELECTIVE course.

That means that you don’t have to take it if you don’t want to.

*takes off MAGA hat for a second… I think we have more important things to teach, why don’t we have financial literacy as an elective, or better yet make it mandatory. Govt shutdown, among many other instances shows that the avg American can’t handle finances at all. Why tax them for money they don’t have to teach them (if they choose to take it) something they don’t really need?

nah bro. i think i prefer people to be financial retards. easier to beat. less comp on investment side.

i mean we already waste money learning other languages plus there are lots of other classes (like poli sci) that are a waste.

i remmeber when i was in hs. i had to take a foreign language. as a californian, i reserched what is the 2nd most used language, and it was spanish. so i learned it. my first job was at a fast food join with a lot of illegals so it came in handy. but i only worked there for 6 months part time, so it wasnt really meaningful. but over time, i used my spanish to pick up women as well, even a little spanish goes a long way. now i am propising to a mexican chick, so overall, i do not regret learning spanish.

in retrospect, if i could choose a language. i would choose a language that rich or classy people speak. like french or german. or the most used language in the world, which is chinese. my thinking was very small and i always kept rapping to live and die in la!

https://youtu.be/1Jp20gOwlS4?t=58

I love Cali like I love women ‘Cause every nigga in L.A. got a little bit of thug in him

anyways the lesson to this story, is that you should learn shit that people value (much like a language or the bible). also that talking in parables have a lot of value (jesus using stories to teach people, makes it feel more real), and that you never truly know which information can truly provide value at the end of the day!

That was to my point earlier about it being low on the list of educational needs. So I’m for the idea idealistically, just not from a practical perspective.

It is impossible to understand most forms of art without having some understanding of the bible.

I am all for teaching the bible in a non spiritual way.

Why did this post get voted down? Seems totally reasonable, schools teach life skills, kids can learn values in the home or at the church/mosque/temple. Clearly this shutdown has shown that many Americans are deficient in money related life skills.

Because the ghost of Turd is clearly down voting any posts that mention the Bible as possibly not factual or necessary.

Yeah, that sounds profound, but I still don’t get it. Show me one society that is not “failing” by some arbitrary standard or another.

It’s pretty easy to make the Bible a course.

In the secular world, it’s called ‘Biblical History’ vs a faith based analysis of the book.

The Torah (and Psalms / Proverbs) are studied greatly.

Places like Yale have good labels for these courses in their divinity program. It is slightly odd that there are upper level courses on divinity/faith even only as a history when there is not any primer in lower grades for some.

But, all the kids know about Jonah and the whale, so what else do you really need to know…

seriously guys? Jesus wept

but is he white or black?