Living Large is the only way

Spent $15 on roller ball pen, a truly life changing experience, will never be comfortable writing stuff with bic crystals again

Try a nice quality, but not too expensive, fountain pen. Fun to write with and not tiring on hand – if you take lots of notes. Good conversation starter in meetings as well.

that boy is moving on up!

Maybe instead of spending all you time and money on fancy pens notes spend it on bettering your memory :bulb:

Isnt note taking related to improved memory? No idea why it works but write down the right stuff and when re-reading it the brain plays back entire conversations/lectures

It is. Has to be writing though, typing doesn’t do the trick.

I think it’s becoming less and less important to have good memory, as external storage is becoming more efficient. For instance, if you have everything indexed and retrievable in a computer system, then there is a less of a requirement to remember it in your brain. Instead of using brains for storage, we should optimize the brain for connectivity and efficiency in coordinating all these external systems.

For example, I used to remember all my friends’ phone numbers when I was a kid before cell phones. Today, this would be a waste of time, as the phones store all that information. We’d be better off spending effort learning about computer usage, rather than improving memory for purposes like this.

^ I agree generally, but the only thing the computers cant remember is the log ins. Forget one phone number, I can call my grandson and ask for it. Forget one log in and you are completely alone. This is not even getting into whether we can really trust computers.

I feel the same way about teaching spelling at my kids schools. But they argue that it is about cognitive building blocks. I suspect it is likely people will see memorizing phone numbers as a waste of time, but they won’t bother to learn more about computer usage in ways that is cognitively additive. In other words, many people just get dumber.

agree with ohai. the ability to get information quickly is better than remembering shit.

also i have a lot of idiot friends who couldnt get an a in anything obsess about spelling and grammar.

anyways it makes sense, they care a lot about shit that dont matter.

some info on short term memory and long term memory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSycdIx-C48

Wait what thread is this? You guys see that guy eating live snakes?

I have been using a multi color pen so I can color code my notes for better organization. Never going back

Great thread.

Good note taking strategy bro, I do it too. And to take to the next level I use scented pens, those do a darn good job activating the subconscious part of the brain, eg. every time I smell lavender my brain reminds me how swaps calculations are done