When do boys get good at video games?

https://www.analystforum.com/forums/water-cooler/91324844

So, the child in the aforementioned thread is now five and a half years old. He is in kindergarten.

I am trying to get him to play Mario Kart Wii with me, but he’s still so bad at it that it’s painful to play with him. (Or watch him while he plays, for that matter.) In fact, he sucks so bad that he won’t do it while I’m in the room with him. (Although he really likes watching me play.)

When can I expect him to get good enough so that we can actually play together? When will he be able to legitimately beat me without me letting him win?

damn. lol i got a switch and am trying to get my 3 yo nephew hooked. sad that it will be a long time b4 he gets good.

anyways if i recall correctly, i can beat most adults by age 7.

I was about his age when NES came out. I played Mario, Zelda, and Metal Gear. The latter two weren’t easy by any stretch.

Have you considered your kid may be blind?

I tried to play chess with my 5 year old and it was pretty brutal. Switched to checkers which wasn’t much better.

Literally got owned by my 8 year old in chess yesterday. My WR is at about 60% with him and keeps dropping

I installed fortnite for him, but he is just terrible. He now plays some browser game with similar mechanics with wasd and mouse. When he will be decent i will start teaching him advanced stuff like shooting when moving :slight_smile:

my 7 year old is approaching a decent skill level in many games that he practices. my WR is still 100% but at least it appears he has a chance. he’s beaten me in a couple of the Mario Party minigames on Switch that we both played for the first time so that’s a ray of hope.

my 5 year old is just not good but also has no interest.

agree that ages 7-9 is where they start to develop adult level skill but some kids are just terrible at games.

What’s WR?

Win rate

I remember playing video games with kids when I was a camp counselor. I thought I was great then tried playing some Asians my age and got smoked. At least on Xbox they seem to get good around 10 to 14.

Got a 10 year old nephew who posts edited videos smoking entire lobbies of peeps on Fortnite (Xbone). I’m pretty sure the kid is on the spectrum but he is a prodigy at shooter games. At about age 8 half the guys who came over to watch sports would end up watching this kid play COD.

my 3 yo newphew likes to watch crashing cars on youtube. i was thinking of showing him gta! my sis was horrified. hahahaahahj

you use the switch on your nephew?

damn, that’s harsh. You’re hardcore, nerdy…

you use the switch if he does badly or something - is he getting better?

We found out this weekend that he is not blind.

He is 100% capable of reading the “Super Mario Bros. Wii” strategy guide and telling where and how we fugged up.

So not only do you crush the kid in video games, but you bang his mom afterwards? Tough life there.

lol im very confused. i meant nintendo switch.