Python For Finance

I know some on here are interested in learning to code and Python is often mentioned as the language of choice.

I have been learning Python since some time around 2016 (God time flies) and decided to start a blog with info, tutorials and just general ramblings about Python and it’s use in finance - particularly systematic trading and related backtests and analysis etc, but there is some other more general stuff on there too.

Anyhow,if anyone is bored and fancies having a read, you can find it at:

https://www.pythonforfinance.net

If anyone has any comments or suggestions for a future topic to post about, do feel free to shout!

AH!

Louder damn it!!! :wink:

Lol systematic trading in python, good joke

Go on I’ll bite as I know you have a good amount of knowledge in this area…what’s so awful about the idea of prototyping/backtesting systematic strategies in Python?

Who are you? Why does everyone on this forum make lots of dupe accounts

Who am I? I have only ever had one username on this site and its the same one I’ve got now. I just havnt logged in for a while - kinda stopped logging in after I got my charter a couple of years ago.

But yeah…only one account…no dupes.

Nice to see the place hasn’t changed though…

Sir!

hey good effort ma man, it was new devs like you that helped dethrone c++ in the tiobe index, lets bury that horrible language in the depths of hell, heres some feedback for your work,

improve the layout of your blog, fonts stack too ugly, content column is too much to the left, social media links target no where, there is even a dribble link, are you a designer? didnt read the code but gj!

Mostly though, this blog is not really useful to read, since most of what the writer has accomplished in Python can be very quickly and easily done in Excel. So, there is no natural reader for this material - it just adds no value to most work. Serious traders are mostly interested in results, not the specific programming method used to achieve them. People who want to learn Python as a language have countless other resources.

If the blog is the guy’s personal diary, then there is no problem with this. However, in terms of attracting technically inclined readers, I’d recommend that the blog focuses 90% on hypothesis testing of trading strategies, and identifying methods that have worked historically. The code can be supplemental for people who would like to try it themselves.

nice job OP

Totally agree - it is more of a personal blog than anything else, i’m not claiming to offer anything more than a bit of an insight into my own learning process and some basic use cases that can be built on for the purposes of helping others go from no experience to just realising what is potentially possible if they go on and develop from there.

Thanks for the feedback - no I’m definitely not a designer…couldn’t “design” myself out of a wet paper bag unfortunately. I’ve removedthe non working social share icons, didn’t realise they were pointing absolutely nowhere!

Can I ask what you mean by “the fonts stack too ugly”? Do you mean you just don’t like the general font used? The code font? All the fonts?