Sign up  |  Log in

CEO says Gen-Y killed the unpaid internship

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/muffin-break-boss-fury-over-youth-who-wont-work-unpaid/news-story/57607ea9a1bbe52ba7746cff031306f2

So, not that I’m petty or anything… but I’ve never even heard of this small fry muffin shop… and she wants to use her own version of social media as a platform for pushing a narrative about how my generation is ‘soft’?? Yeah, okay Mrs. Muffin.

you just can’t teach this kind of stupidity anymore that believes an unpaid internship isn’t wrong.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

Yeah, that unpaid muffin shop internship really opens up a lot of doors… anyways, patisserie or hacksaw.

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

Our generation handed over far too much control to employers following the GFC.  From 2007 to 2016, the median household income actually fell.  Now I love hearing these entitled Boomers throwing a hissy fit because they can’t get free labor anymore and trying to spin it the other way around.  The unpaid internship is a dinosaur in the modern era, either your company is cutting edge and taking the best interns from the top programs selectively (who add value and deserve pay) or your company sucks and is trying to offload mundane tasks the old guard can’t or won’t do (and therefore you should be paying them).

#FreeCVM #FreeTurd #2007-2017

Black Swan wrote:

Our generation handed over far too much control to employers following the GFC.  From 2007 to 2016, the median household income actually fell.  Now I love hearing these entitled Boomers throwing a hissy fit because they can’t get free labor anymore and trying to spin it the other way around.  The unpaid internship is a dinosaur in the modern era, either your company is cutting edge and taking the best interns from the top programs selectively (who add value and deserve pay) or your company sucks and is trying to offload mundane tasks the old guard can’t or won’t do (and therefore you should be paying them).

The other thing I love is how one person always seems to have multiple stories about selfish young people.  Um, maybe it’s you and the type of people you are hiring.  There is no question that the young analysts at my firm are different today than a few years ago and very different than my generation.  But different is all that it is.  BS makes a great point about how much we had to give up just from the bad luck of having been working right after the GFC.  

Mrs.Muffin sounds like my dad. Gen-Y are a bunch selfish pussies who should only blame themselves for their difficult employment situation and salary trajectory. Globalization, GFC, digitalization, and slowing global growth are just excuses.  

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

Codtrawler87 wrote:

Mrs.Muffin sounds like my dad. Gen-Y are a bunch selfish pussies who should only blame themselves for their difficult employment situation and salary trajectory. Globalization, GFC, digitalization, and slowing global growth are just excuses.  

Was your dad lookin at you when he said that stuff?  Ouch.

Malee wrote:

Codtrawler87 wrote:

Mrs.Muffin sounds like my dad. Gen-Y are a bunch selfish pussies who should only blame themselves for their difficult employment situation and salary trajectory. Globalization, GFC, digitalization, and slowing global growth are just excuses.  

Was your dad lookin at you when he said that stuff?  Ouch.

hahah no. He always says that guys like me are an exception to the rule! 

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking