guys what advice would you give a ucla student studying for an actuarial degree?

should he continue working at del taco as an assistant manager?

or should he find some office work shit even if its unpaid or with less pay?

i legitly want him to change majors. its like a tough major with tough job market.

Isn’t actuary like really specific? Maybe stick with tacos to prepare him for realities of the job market then.

yea it is. thats why it sso stupid. very specific and not that many jobs. like if u get a job its solid career. but if you dont hes looking at general manager at taco bell.

and its really hard as major. tehri tests are arguably harder than cfa exams nad take 5 to 10 years.

I got my degree in Actuarial Science many, many moons ago and worked for a bunch of years in life insurance. The exams are ****in’ tough: I started in 3rd year university and took a solid 10 years from first exam to Fellow.

The jobs are mainly in larger cities (insurance cos or consulting or even Big 4) or insurance hubs such that moving far has to be a possibility: the LA area doesn’t strike me as a big insurance hub. Some practice areas are definitely not growth areas, e.g. pensions, while others such as property/casualty, health, or life & annuity have better prospects.

It breaks my heart when I see students on the actuarial equivalent of the AF (www.actuarialoutpost.com :slightly_smiling_face:) talking about not being able to get internships, FT work, or even any associated type of work. The first thing employers will look for is # of exams passed, and even then you’ll be competing with a lot of other people with the same, or possibly more, exams. I would rather see your friend keep the Del Taco job to show real world working and management skills to complement the book learning: some actuaries are made managers just because they passed the last exam!!! :confused:

One last thought: Ay, mijo!!! :+1: for looking out for your friend!!

Pretty sure there is not such thing as “actuarial degree” at ucla or anywhere for that matter. Your friend is probably a financial math major taking actuarial track courses which give them opportunities to enter a highly specialized field while keeping their career options as broad as possible by graduating with a math degree. You go work at del taco and refrain from advising, nerdy.

He isn’t my friend. But a co workers acquaintance. She just wanted me to look over his resume and give advice cuz he’s a solid human being that deserves better. Anyways my advice was that assistant manager at Del taco is already pretty good unless he can get a paid internship with higher pay. Unpaid Internship is like pretend work, a complete waste of time and more of a resume filler.

The guy also said he loves actuarial science. Lol and I thought that he prolly just like math so my advice was to switch majors to something with better prospects. Like engineering computer programming or accounting. Anyways I’m asking you guys cuz obviously I’m not too sure with my advice. I have a general idea how shitty the field is.

Lastly I worked as a cashier making minimum wage in hs so there is nothing wrong with a fast food job. The assistant managers made double that so for a college student that’s pretty awesome. Working fast food is a lot of work though. Like I’ve never worked so hard to get paid so lil. Granted some of them were illegals. Also I’m not a fan of Mexican food! Gracias

No accounting degree at UCLA, but Econ is an option for him. Y buena suerte transferring into the Engineering school. NIce that you are trying to help, but maybe a true counselor at the school can help him. If he likes math and is a solid kid, how about teaching math as a career path? If he got into UCLA he has some brains, so with some solid guidance, he will land on his feet.

What I tell the CBP folks when they ask what I do for a living: “It’s all the scary math behind life insurance and pensions.”

There’s no accounting major but people usually do biz econ or a minor in accounting. If you want to do that big 4 shit.

Anyways a counselor usually just tells you a cookie cutter answer like what classses to take to finish the major you like. They don’t tell you if that major has value in the marketplace or what classes are easy. They do tell you if there are available programs and scholarships. But for the most part, pretty worthless. All the info you can find online.