Networking,how to do it ?

Until yesterday I was under the impression that if I do a good job during the internship the company will give me a return offer. However, I was told by a few friends that this condition is based on someone else leaving the group or a vacancy of some sort and given the department is some 9-6 quant type role most people stay around given the good hours and relative pay.

So now I have started to reach out to people on LinkedIn on a very random base and trying to get to know them and perhaps set up a meeting to specifically ask for open positions and opportunities. Is there a mechanical way to go about doing this?

My Background:

Rising Senior in CS/Stat currently doing an internship at a reasonably well known financial services company that provides models /knowledge to other companies.

My Current role:

Building Language Processing models to asses quality of earnings/risk of default for companies based on their statements. (The end result would be you upload the statements of a company and it calculates the risk of default regardless of how the statement is formatted or the accounting standards)

There are tons of quant/programmer/developer positions at financial companies that can be found on Indeed.com or something. If this was a specific role, I’d say you need to get a recruiter. However, for this sort of position, and sub-5 year experience, mass application might be the way to go.

Agree, but wouldn’t Networking make life easier than shooting from the hip? or am I missing something?

Yes, obviously networking will be helpful. However, that also takes a lot of work. Given the abundance of mass job listings, it might simply be more time efficient to apply to many positions with the expectation of 10% call back rate or something like that. I do not think the quality of position you will find will be different at this stage.

I find LinkedIn Jobs very useful

How about stop using words like “networking”, and just try to do the best you can on the job at hand, don’t undermine others, and be a nice person that people want to spend time around… Your rep will grow, and opportunities will just come to you.

Uhhh, with current market in tech you dont need networking. You just need to be good at problem solving. Go to hackerrank or something, and spend time you would waste networking solving medium:hard problems