First Presidential Debate

Nerdyblop wrote:

immigration is a good thing, when you are getting high quality people. but when you are getting low quality food pickers. you just wont get very far. the us is the best country, because top talent from around the world come to us and adapt to our culture and feel a nationalistic bound. china is unable to do that. in fact the rich chinese, leave china for the us, and cant attract high quality immigrants from other countries as their culture is just not as accepting as the us. 

https://youtu.be/A8GwmsLXOx8?t=1339

lee kuan yew interview in 2009. amazing interview on what us, china, japan, india needs to do to become better countries.

Lee had some wisdom, but I like the story about when he lectured Deng Xiaoping on what China needs to do to improve, and Deng who was the president/premier of China at the time told him, thank you uncle, when I am mayor of Shanghai I will implement all of this.

china actually copied singapore or should i say deng actually copied lee. im paraphrasing charlie munger’s words, of course keep in mind munger’s idol is lee. but charlie is sharp as they come. only likes people worth liking. 

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.

I think Deng’s point was that what you can accomplish when you are running a city with a small population is different than what will work at the big country level.  Although Hong Kong is demonstrating how you can mismanage a city…

When do Americans learn? 

You kids actually think voting is going to do something? This time is going to be different?? 

I get dengs point but from what I understand he copied it anyways.

China central government probably runs their cities like Shangai too. Just because they have a bigger country to run outside of Shanghai, doesn’t mean that they can’t apply Singapore-esque programs on the scale of individual cities. 

In terms of importance, I don’t know how much of China’s GDP is concentrated in urban areas, but it’s probably a lot, and growing. Even if the majority of their population is rural, urban policy will still have a disproportionate effect on the country overall. 

“Visit the Water Cooler forum on Analyst Forum. It is the best forum.”
- Everyone

china stats. less than 10 percent of gdp in agriculture, but it employs 40% of the population. haha agiruculture sucks dick.

Nerdyblop wrote:

china stats. less than 10 percent of gdp in agriculture, but it employs 40% of the population. haha agiruculture sucks dick.

To be fair it’s been about a generation since they had to eat each other.  Too soon to get cocky.

#FreeCVM #FreeTurd #2007-2017

Nerdyblop wrote:
haha agiruculture sucks dick.

China just put American agriculture on government life support. Tick tock…

CSI300 wrote:

Nerdyblop wrote:
haha agiruculture sucks dick.

China just put American agriculture on government life support. Tick tock…

Take it easy wumao.  US Ag has been on the government dole for decades, China didn’t put them there.  Sometimes US farmers even paid to not grow.   

the idea behind paying farmers not to plant, is just a safe way to protect ourselves and keep agricultural industry flexible in case of a crisis or crop failures. you are actually paying them to protect that land and keep it safe. imo, its a stupid law. we can have crop failures here and still be able to trade with other countries. agriculture is one of the worthless businesses out there. they shoudl end all subsidies.