Womens world cup

What you guys think of the women’s world cup? Am happy for US team, but the coverage in the media was COMPLETELY over the top. I didn’t watch one game, no one in my family watched, not one mention from any friend, nothing from clients, no one in the office discussing games, nada. The outcome was predictable, the players were the same run of the mill women, and the introduction of politics (from equal pay to visiting white house) was completely boring.

Not a single person I know mentioned it in any way. The media is really out of touch with regular, everyday people. Most Americans don’t care at all about soccer in general.

The only reason they got so much coverage was because some of they were openly anti Trump. If they were all conservatives, the media would have ignored them.

I was looking on YouTube for that video where a woman from another campaign asked about equal pay and Trump says something like “you’re going to make the same if you do as good a job” LOL but YouTube buried it!

I didn’t watch a single game either. Just curious, what were the rating like for the Women World Cup vs. the men’s?

for the last few, women’s have been higher. but i think the key is, would you pay the same amount to watch men play soccer vs female.

if this was wwe, i think i like to see women more than men.

^ No I wouldn’t pay the same, or more to watch women play vs. men. (sorry). its the broader issue of the economics of sports. The money just isn’t there in women’s sports.

Maybe they should just eliminate the idea of men’s and women’s league, especially since the libs believe there are like 50 genders and just have one league. Let the best players play, no more segregation, equality, amiright6

why the hell would you get downvoted. seriously its 2019 guys. im sure there are some women that play better than some men at the professional level in any sport.

Because women are already allowed in the NBA, NFL, NHL, etc :bulb:

I don’t watch womens football for the same reason I don’t watch Scottish football… because it’s sh i te

2018 mens final was over 3.5bn so I doubt this very much.

heres a link

https://www.wsj.com/articles/womens-world-cup-final-drew-higher-u-s-ratings-than-mens-final-11562628017

its for us ratings. sorry i forgot there is a whole other world besides the us. and us doesnt really give a shit about soccer.

The NHL has had a women play in the league, Manon Rheaume - actually the first woman to ever play in any of the major sports leagues. I think the issue is pretty straightforward - the fact is that their simply isn’t the market for women’s sports which doesn’t generate the revenues in order to support the same type of salaries.

This is false. The media has completely run with a miscast storyline. They (and the SJW article you linked) are comparing viewership IN THE US of men’s vs women’s world cup and solely isolate it to the US team games. The TV deal money goes to FIFA and the teams get paid out of prize money. Total GLOBAL viewership for the women’s world cup series was something like 22M and was almost entirely in the US. Total viewership for the 2018 men’s world cup was 3.5B. The women’s prize money for world cup as a result is a proportionate 7.5% of what they would win if they won the men’s world cup. As a result in the one year the men actually advanced a round they ended up winning more in that year than the women did when they won the whole world cup. The reality is the women’s team makes less because the economics ultimately justify it and they’re dominating in an uncompetitive B league nobody cares about. It’s great they do that, but the media just needs to be realistic.

“FAKE NEWS media… is the enemy of the American People” - President Trump

I mean, besides other things, the fact of the matter is that men’s soccer is level 10000 on a global scale, and women’s soccer is like level 5. There’s no way US men is going to run into some hacksaw team in the World Cup like Thailand, where no one ever plays sports, and win 13-0, and then pretend that this is some kind of great achievement. People care more about women’s tennis or gymnastics, or something, relative to the men’s version, since the competitive landscape within the gender classes are both quite competitive. For women’s soccer, it’s just a weak competition overall, for the sport, not for women overall. It is a bit annoying how they make it like you have to treat it as a reflection of all women’s activities.

^ ya, just like hockey. Its almost always CAD vs. USA in the finals.

Well said. Glad we have you on here to put stuff in perspective. I originally learned of the equal pay issue in The Economist. They also made the mistake of making the whole issue US centered pointing out that, in the isolated population of the United States, the women’s soccer is more popular and more successful. The article focused on the women players filing a class action suit against the United States Soccer Federation (again ignoring the global perspective and the fact that USSF is likely at the mercy of FIFA when it comes to the prized money available to distribute)

Perspectives like the one in The Economist seem to be all there is out there. I would have just assumed that US teams where paid through a US based funding system meaning the women truly were being underpaid. How did you know different, BS?

The argument they were making didn’t pass the eye test, so I wound up doing a lot of googling. I will say this, if the US wants to lead by some moral example and pay both national teams the same because we’re a giant country and its not a big difference, I’m ok with it, but people have some really warped views about the situation that largely exist because the average US person knows nothing about soccer besides what they hear in these facebook posts (which capitalize on the dynamic). I think it would be cool if people all started watching women’s sports, but I also think its probably not as central to the equality movement as people are trying to make it.

I keep hearing that the US is playing b leagues squads. I don’t get it? Is womem’s soccer not popular in Europe and South America? I find that hard to believe given the popularity of men’s soccer in those regions.