Womens world cup

What you guys think of the women’s world cup?  Am happy for US team, but the coverage in the media was COMPLETELY over the top.  I didn’t watch one game, no one in my family watched, not one mention from any friend, nothing from clients, no one in the office discussing games, nada.  The outcome was predictable, the players were the same run of the mill women, and the introduction of politics (from equal pay to visiting white house) was completely boring.      

Not a single person I know mentioned it in any way. The media is really out of touch with regular, everyday people. Most Americans don’t care at all about soccer in general.

The only reason they got so much coverage was because some of they were openly anti Trump. If they were all conservatives, the media would have ignored them.

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

I was looking on YouTube for that video where a woman from another campaign asked about equal pay and Trump says something like “you’re going to make the same if you do as good a job” LOL but YouTube buried it!

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

I didn’t watch a single game either. Just curious, what were the rating like for the Women World Cup vs. the men’s? 

for the last few, women’s have been higher. but i think the key is, would you pay the same amount to watch men play soccer vs female.

if this was wwe, i think i like to see women more than men.

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.

^ No I wouldn’t pay the same, or more to watch women play vs. men. (sorry). its the broader issue of the economics of sports. The money just isn’t there in women’s sports. 

Maybe they should just eliminate the idea of men’s and women’s league, especially since the libs believe there are like 50 genders and just have one league. Let the best players play, no more segregation, equality, amiright6

why the hell would you get downvoted. seriously its 2019 guys. im sure there are some women that play better than some men at the professional level in any sport.

Because women are already allowed in the NBA, NFL, NHL, etc enlightened

I don’t watch womens football for the same reason I don’t watch Scottish football……… because it’s shite

Nerdyblop wrote:

for the last few, women’s have been higher. but i think the key is, would you pay the same amount to watch men play soccer vs female.

2018 mens final was over 3.5bn so I doubt this very much. 

heres a link

https://www.wsj.com/articles/womens-world-cup-final-drew-higher-u-s-ratings-than-mens-final-11562628017

its for us ratings. sorry i forgot there is a whole other world besides the us. and us doesnt really give a **** about soccer.

frankybarnes wrote:

Because women are already allowed in the NBA, NFL, NHL, etc enlightened

The NHL has had a women play in the league, Manon Rheaume - actually the first woman to ever play in any of the major sports leagues. I think the issue is pretty straightforward - the fact is that their simply isn’t the market for women’s sports which doesn’t generate the revenues in order to support the same type of salaries. 

Nerdyblop wrote:

This is false.  The media has completely run with a miscast storyline.  They (and the SJW article you linked) are comparing viewership IN THE US of men’s vs women’s world cup and solely isolate it to the US team games.  The TV deal money goes to FIFA and the teams get paid out of prize money.  Total GLOBAL viewership for the women’s world cup series was something like 22M and was almost entirely in the US.  Total viewership for the 2018 men’s world cup was 3.5B.  The women’s prize money for world cup as a result is a proportionate 7.5% of what they would win if they won the men’s world cup.  As a result in the one year the men actually advanced a round they ended up winning more in that year than the women did when they won the whole world cup.  The reality is the women’s team makes less because the economics ultimately justify it and they’re dominating in an uncompetitive B league nobody cares about.  It’s great they do that, but the media just needs to be realistic.

#FreeCVM #FreeTurd #2007-2017

“FAKE NEWS media… is the enemy of the American People” - President Trump 

I mean, besides other things, the fact of the matter is that men’s soccer is level 10000 on a global scale, and women’s soccer is like level 5. There’s no way US men is going to run into some hacksaw team in the World Cup like Thailand, where no one ever plays sports, and win 13-0, and then pretend that this is some kind of great achievement. People care more about women’s tennis or gymnastics, or something, relative to the men’s version, since the competitive landscape within the gender classes are both quite competitive. For women’s soccer, it’s just a weak competition overall, for the sport, not for women overall. It is a bit annoying how they make it like you have to treat it as a reflection of all women’s activities. 

“Visit the Water Cooler forum on Analyst Forum. It is the best forum.”
- Everyone

^ ya, just like hockey. Its almost always CAD vs. USA in the finals. 

Black Swan wrote:

Nerdyblop wrote:

This is false.  The media has completely run with a miscast storyline.  They (and the SJW article you linked) are comparing viewership IN THE US of men’s vs women’s world cup and solely isolate it to the US team games.  The TV deal money goes to FIFA and the teams get paid out of prize money.  Total GLOBAL viewership for the women’s world cup series was something like 22M and was almost entirely in the US.  Total viewership for the 2018 men’s world cup was 3.5B.  The women’s prize money for world cup as a result is a proportionate 7.5% of what they would win if they won the men’s world cup.  As a result in the one year the men actually advanced a round they ended up winning more in that year than the women did when they won the whole world cup.  The reality is the women’s team makes less because the economics ultimately justify it and they’re dominating in an uncompetitive B league nobody cares about.  It’s great they do that, but the media just needs to be realistic.

Well said.  Glad we have you on here to put stuff in perspective.  I originally learned of the equal pay issue in The Economist.  They also made the mistake of making the whole issue US centered pointing out that, in the isolated population of the United States, the women’s soccer is more popular and more successful.  The article focused on the women players filing a class action suit against the United States Soccer Federation (again ignoring the global perspective and the fact that USSF is likely at the mercy of FIFA when it comes to the prized money available to distribute)

Perspectives like the one in The Economist seem to be all there is out there.  I would have just assumed that US teams where paid through a US based funding system meaning the women truly were being underpaid.   How did you know different, BS?

"But I don't think of you"..... Howard Roark

The argument they were making didn’t pass the eye test, so I wound up doing a lot of googling.  I will say this, if the US wants to lead by some moral example and pay both national teams the same because we’re a  giant country and its not a big difference, I’m ok with it, but people have some really warped views about the situation that largely exist because the average US person knows nothing about soccer besides what they hear in these facebook posts (which capitalize on the dynamic).  I think it would be cool if people all started watching women’s sports, but I also think its probably not as central to the equality movement as people are trying to make it.  

I keep hearing that the US is playing b leagues squads.  I don’t get it?  Is womem’s soccer not popular in Europe and South America?  I find that hard to believe given the popularity of men’s soccer in those regions. 

The NBA is popular in the US yet not many people watch the WNBA (where they also complain about equal pay)

minimum wage

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

LBriscoe wrote:

I keep hearing that the US is playing b leagues squads.  I don’t get it?  Is womem’s soccer not popular in Europe and South America?  I find that hard to believe given the popularity of men’s soccer in those regions. 

Culturally women’s sports aren’t as big there.  They’re also nonexistent  in central and South America, you don’t have the feeders of junior clubs etc.  You can also say similar things about most women’s sports even in the US.  The field is undeniably less deep in most college sports, which is why you tend to get these runs where one team just dominates for like a decade and there’s less variation in who wins.  On the other hand you have a men’s team like Duke, arguably the most dominant in modern college basketball have two championships in ten years.

Ultimately, the reality is sports are not nearly as competitively developed even in major western countries for women, some of it is because you don’t have the viewership at the pro level, the fan worship or the $100M contracts to incentivize the whole system.  Most of it is because people like watching humans perform feats at the pinnacle of ability, this is why minor league players make $20k a year and nobody wants to watch people play a slower version of the game with a smaller official ball at half speed.  A friend of mine was a good varsity basketball player and I watched him absolutely destroy his girlfriend in college who was a full scholarship starter for a major D1 school.  Serena Williams once got dismantled by a player ranked around 200th in the world.  Justine Henin lost to a retired pro 20 years older than her in the same year she won a women’s major.  I’m always surprised when people act mind boggled over the fact that there are differences inherent to gender that manifest themselves like they haven’t been living on earth.

The problem is, most people complaining about the differences in pay at the pro level also don’t watch any women’s sports regularly and are part of the problem.  People want false progress where we basically tax society for something they won’t watch instead of actually investing in supporting the team themselves at a grassroot level.

https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/features/ebs-ebs0000049.pdf

Just to note—the US men did not make it to the World Cup last year. So if the men (who weren’t even playing) had the same amount of viewers as the women (who won the championship), then that tells you most of what you need to know. 

82 > 87
Simple math.

lets be real. say we pick the ****tiest nba dude that has played in the last 10 years. are you telling me that lisa leslie cant beat hte ****tiest dude in the nba? 

also just to clarify there is no ban against women in the nba. there was actually a chick that was drafted. they just voided after. so she never played but for a cool minute she was nba player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liKnJ-ejztw

tehre is no reason why the men’s league should be segregated. there is reason for the women’s team. anyways i used to be part of this asian basketball league that had an asian requirement lol. thats kinda racist right lol

Nerdyblop wrote:

lets be real. say we pick the ****tiest nba dude that has played in the last 10 years. are you telling me that lisa leslie cant beat hte ****tiest dude in the nba? 

She would lose 100%, I’d be willing to bet all future and past earnings on it.

hpracing007 wrote:

The NBA is popular in the US yet not many people watch the WNBA (where they also complain about equal pay)

i would like to watch the local junior college boys team play against the WNBA champs. I’ll bet my paycheck vs yours that the Junior college boys win.

I wonder who the worst player in the NBA is. Like, there are 30 teams, and each team has a 13 man roster. That’s 390 players. Who is the worst one?  Who’s #390?    And if he played the best female in the world in a game of 1 on 1, how many times would he win out of 100?  (My bet - 100 times out of 100)

edit - you guys beat me to it. 

82 > 87
Simple math.

Black Swan wrote:

She would lose 100%, I’d be willing to bet all future and past earnings on it.

Low stakes, huh?

Black Swan wrote:

They’re also nonexistent  in central and South America, you don’t have the feeders of junior clubs etc. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_American_Under-17_Women%27s_Football_Championship

frankybarnes wrote:

Black Swan wrote:

They’re also nonexistent  in central and South America, you don’t have the feeders of junior clubs etc. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_American_Under-17_Women%27s_Football_Championship

Lol, simply mean that the scale and infrastructure are not comparable.  Do they technically exist?  Sure, but for all intensive purposes its non-effectual.

Griingo wrote:

2018 mens final was over 3.5bn so I doubt this very much. 

yep,France 98 had 3.4 billion. With the population increase in 20 years you’d figure FIFA would have figured out a way to increase viewership proportionally but they’re all probably super busy avoiding jail time.

Two of India Pakistan cricket matches have pulled one billion viewers alone lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-watched_television_broadcasts#International

Managed to make it to Englestaan for the first time for the world cup!! Absolute scenes, kamariya being belted out in the streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlgvzAkjTlk

this white dude was also selling jhal muri outside the stadiums 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQYYyp4Bdbw

can’t believe we lost to the Kiwis crying

PS : Bangalas and their Bengali food in Tower Hamlets.YUM!!