Sign up  |  Log in

Womens world cup

This thread reminds me of the most delusional man vs women athlete comparison ever, when Ronda Rousey said it was possible for her to beat Cain Velasquez and some people believed her LOL

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

With respect to womens football it’s a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you don’t invest in it and market it people won’t watch it. FIFA have been guilty of ignoring the game for a long time, even when the world cup was running in France there were hardly any billboards or signs to signify that the pinnacle of womens sport was currently going on and that’s in the host nation.

US soccer federation has done more than any other nation in promoting womens football, the league there is miles ahead of anyone else even though some European nations, Japan and China now seem to be putting money into it, it was started earlier and is run efficiently and professionally. It seems counterproductive for the US womens team to sue these guys, go after FIFA and the case becomes more credible.

Also, who the heck celebrates so much when you’re 10-0 up against a bunch of part time players who are giving their best and obviously distraught at being so far of the required level? disgusting!!

and wtf was that tea cup celebration? I was kinda hoping ingerland equalized and imitated someone squatting and eating a hamburger

PS : Rose Lavelle is a phenomenal player. Alex Morgan may get all the hype but Rose poise, balance and touch is fantastic.

hpracing007 wrote:

This thread reminds me of the most delusional man vs women athlete comparison ever, when Ronda Rousey said it was possible for her to beat Cain Velasquez and some people believed her LOL

When I was young I was called a rugged individualist. When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric. Here I am doing and saying the same things I did then and I'm labeled senile.

Tennis has the right model for equal pay at least for the major tournaments in that the men’s and women’s events are pooled (held at the same time) and equal prize money is paid from the pool.  There is no men’s Wimbledon and a separate women’s Wimbledon a few weeks later.  All the revenue that is generated from Wimbledon gets distributed equally so Serena will get the same paycheck as Federer if they both win Wimbledon.  Even though Federer would beat Serena 6/0 6/0.  

^ Yeah, I think its great for tournaments to do that.  I don’t think they should be obliged to if the economics don’t support it, but if they make that decision, I think that’s a great move.  One thing about tennis though, I think women’s tennis draws a much more comparable crowd vs men’s than the disparities in some of the other sports.

#FreeCVM #FreeTurd #2007-2017

Men’s tennis is more popular than women’s tennis by a long shot even though I agree with your point re: women’s tennis vs other sports.  The economics just don’t justify paying women equally unless you get the men to subsidize the women which is essentially what tennis does.  Billie Jean King is a fricking genius!

Ok fine. Men’s tennis is more popular than women’s tennis. However, men’s soccer is 10000000000000x more popular than women’s soccer, like not even in the same universe. 

“Visit the Water Cooler forum on Analyst Forum. It is the best forum.”
- Everyone

Seriously—other than tennis (the obvious one), is there ANY sport that you’d rather watch the women than the men?  

The only ones I can think of are the ones that titillate the senses, like figure skating or curling. 

82 > 87
Simple math.

Volleyball 

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

For the most part comparing the top ranked male va female athletes and drawing inferences about ability is heavily biased. Even if the two genders have identical distribution of athletic ability in the general population, the sample sizes of pro athletes/people who have some athletic ability/follow sports are vastly different among the genders because of societal norms. Of course the 10th order element from sample 1 will be likely larger than the 1st element from sample 2 as long as sample 1’s size is 1,000x larger than sample 2’s size even if the populations are identically distributed. 

Greenman72 wrote:

Seriously—other than tennis (the obvious one), is there ANY sport that you’d rather watch the women than the men?  

The only ones I can think of are the ones that titillate the senses, like figure skating or curling. 

Point taken, but there are some games that are not as much fun to watch when there is too much power…like golf I like watching women because I can pick up some pointers watching them but not the men who swing too fast.  Tennis, womens game is more interesting with more shot making, the men rely too much on power, it’s boring.  HP said volleyball, I totally agree.  An under rated but super fun game to watch live is badminton, also better for women than men.  

Greenman72 wrote:

hpracing007 wrote:

The NBA is popular in the US yet not many people watch the WNBA (where they also complain about equal pay)

i would like to watch the local junior college boys team play against the WNBA champs. I’ll bet my paycheck vs yours that the Junior college boys win.

I wonder who the worst player in the NBA is. Like, there are 30 teams, and each team has a 13 man roster. That’s 390 players. Who is the worst one?  Who’s #390?    And if he played the best female in the world in a game of 1 on 1, how many times would he win out of 100?  (My bet - 100 times out of 100)

edit - you guys beat me to it. 

I still have PTSD from being forced to buy tickets to NY Liberty WNBA games because some senior guys at the firm I was working were part owners. Admittedly I had some cheapo seats, but I had no idea what I was seeing.  The players all looked awkard, and no doubt they were better than me, but I couldn’t shake the idea i was watching the co-ed intramural finals..and paying to watch.

re: women’s tennis, at least at the Grand Slam events, women play the best of 3 sets and men play the best of 5

https://twitter.com/ohheyjenna/status/1148990746260717568

Ashlyn Harris 

———————————————– Trust God and keep your powder dry ———————————————– Southern by the grace of God

Is that one of the “heros” that we are supposed to idolize because they can run around and kick a ball into a net and if we don’t, we are sexist/misogynic? 

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

exactly. She’s a goalkeeper but not a starter

Hide your kids, hide your wives, lock your f**kin doors because we got the key to the muthaf**kin city and I’m comin for all y’all b**ches.

———————————————– Trust God and keep your powder dry ———————————————– Southern by the grace of God

hpracing007 wrote:

Is that one of the “heros” that we are supposed to idolize because they can run around and kick a ball into a net and if we don’t, we are sexist/misogynic? 

Soccer bad, gun good

When I was young I was called a rugged individualist. When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric. Here I am doing and saying the same things I did then and I'm labeled senile.

WNBA

———————————————– Trust God and keep your powder dry ———————————————– Southern by the grace of God

Times like this, I’m so glad crooked H didn’t get elected, we’d be hearing speeches like this at the White House 24/7

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

I read this on the internet, so I’m quite certain that it’s true.  

Last year, the NBA grossed $7.25 billion in revenue.  The WNBA grossed $25 million.   

The average NBA franchise is worth $1.25 billion.  Half of the WNBA franchises are losing money.  (They would have gone under if they weren’t being subsidized by the NBA.)  

82 > 87
Simple math.

They should be paying to play, like how you have to get a gym membership if you want to use their court.

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

I unfollowed CNN after their incessant updates on the women’s World cup. It’s slow, non-physical, and even comical (have you seen the Thai goalkeeper?)

They don’t cover the men’s Hockey World cup, because like the women’s world cup, no body cares. This is purely political, where something unimportant is being shoved down your throat to make a political point. It’s not even a “man” vs “woman” issue. If anyone in the Woman’s team can bend a free-kick like Beckham, dribble like Messi, or tackle like Nesta, I’d be the first to sign up. The games in the latter stages were decent at best, but so are games in the Luxemberg national league, but no body cares because it’s not worth your time watching.

 

CNN has been pushing the feminist agenda harder than any network. They even gave crooked Hillary the questions to a debate ahead of time. They wanted a first woman President so bad. Not sure how anyone trust them. Sad.

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

I can’t even watch CNN, its just god aweful! It used to be good like 20 years ago. Not sure what happened. 

Tactics wrote:

I unfollowed CNN after their incessant updates on the women’s World cup. It’s slow, non-physical, and even comical (have you seen the Thai goalkeeper?)

They don’t cover the men’s Hockey World cup, because like the women’s world cup, no body cares. This is purely political, where something unimportant is being shoved down your throat to make a political point. It’s not even a “man” vs “woman” issue. If anyone in the Woman’s team can bend a free-kick like Beckham, dribble like Messi, or tackle like Nesta, I’d be the first to sign up. The games in the latter stages were decent at best, but so are games in the Luxemberg national league, but no body cares because it’s not worth your time watching.

I’ll admit to liking women’s soccer and the WWC.  Don’t know if I’d care if the US wasn’t really good, though.  

82 > 87
Simple math.

Instead of beating around the bush, maybe the US women’s team should do a duel against the men’s team to settle this once and for all….

I wonder if celebrating when you’re up 13-0 would still be considered good sportsmanship?

#FreeCVM #FreeTurd #2007-2017

Black Swan wrote:

I wonder if celebrating when you’re up 13-0 would still be considered good sportsmanship?

They were mean to the Thai ladies. I can say ladies, right?

Tactics wrote:
Black Swan wrote:
I wonder if celebrating when you’re up 13-0 would still be considered good sportsmanship?

They were mean to the Thai ladies. I can say ladies, right?

It’s probably OK here, but pretty soon it likely won’t be OK in Berkeley: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2019-07-19/berkeley-bans-gendered-words-video

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

NSFW

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!