Best book you've read this year

My pick: fiction/literature: The glass castle by Jeannette Walls

non-fiction: Factfulness by Rosling. A pretty eye-opening read.

I just finished Red Notice by Bill Browder. Easy read. It’s about the Magnitsky case.

The Art of the Deal

:heart:

I’m slowly reading Business Adventures: Twelve Classic Tales from the World of Wall Street, by John Brooks

first few stories I’ve read are very good

“Schwartz called writing the book his “greatest regret in life, without question,” and both he and the book’s publisher, Howard Kaminsky, said that Trump had played no role in the actual writing of the book. Trump has personally given conflicting accounts on the question of authorship. Schwartz later suggested that the work be “recategorized as fiction”.

lol

Still a great book! People use ghost writers all the time! Check out this children’s book, one of my favs:

[video:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HSPsRsIwzAY]

any wallstreet fiction novels you could suggest?

Bonfire of the Vanities was pretty good, read it a long time ago.

The greatest president did the ghostwriters a favor by giving them a job, so ungrateful for his generosity to spread such propaganda.

I read Call of the Cthulu finally, and this is just a short story, not a book. I think it has probably the best opening paragraph of all time, possibly ever. However, the rest of the story is pretty crap.

Damn it Feels Good to be a Banker

Edit: Oh, and that other one about that psycho.

Jonathan Haidt’s “The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion”

It’s a great explanation of why there’s so much polarization and demonization on almost any issue you can think of. Eye opening book.

And for fiction, I’m rereading Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series, since the newest novel will be out in a few months. I’m a big fanboy.

Anything else by Bret Easton Ellis any good. I have been searching for DAYS for my next read, and I want to stick with fiction. I am mixing it up these days. I read “The Stranger” by Camus and then “Were’d You Go Bernadett” …so I’m down for anything. Loved them both. But still can’t find ANYTHING to read next.

Girlvert, by Oriana Small.

i’ve read the stranger as a required reading in college. that shit was pretty depressing and confusing. why he kills the dude. why he gives up in jail. hell why did he even get the death penalty.

Less Than Zero is great (so is the movie). It’s basically an 80’s version of Requiem for a Dream. The Rules of Attraction is fine. Best part about it is Patrick Bateman makes a cameo.

You have to read it with some detachment because it is extra absurd in order to illuminate Camus’s philosophy. My favorite part about it is that the main character is shown to actually be very sincere in the way he grieves the death of his mother in his own way, feels mostly just physical about his girlfriend, and finally shoots a man “because the sun was irritating him”. It all depicts the idea that man is actually pretty basic when you strip away all the “narratives” and often his behavior is nothing more than random … but also that the most beautiful triumphs and peak moments happen in “meaningless” context. It is also a story about society loving it’s narratives and ostracizes those that diverge. The stranger is a man who gets the death penalty for not crying at his mother’s funeral.

Dup

Thanks! I will pick one of those. Is either one very humorous?