Where to park

Brahs,

When I sold all my vehicles after departing LA, I felt liberated from the chains of the 405 and the 101. Now, after more than a year in NYC i feel physically constrained to Manhattan. Where do people park in the city? I am not fucking paying over $1g for parking - are there any tricks employed by the local husslers that I shoudl be aware of?

I still have mine as a souvenir from back in the day!!!

And holy **** LA traffic sucks. My best friend and I took a solid 2 ****in’ hours to get from Santa Monica to Ontario Mills back in early August!!!

I lived there for 15+ years and never came close to having to approach Ontario Mills brah, why would you.

Brah, did you try something like zipcar?

I think most people zip car or rent. Realistically, even people with cars tell me they feel constrained because getting in and out past the moat is a major hurdle. You’ll probably in reality leave the city 1-2 weekends a month max, so zipcar or some equivalent makes sense. Best idea is probably just to rent/zipcar and if it becomes so frequent that its uneconomic to not own, buy, but in most likelihood you’ll do it a few times then remember why people don’t leave the city. Plus for what you’d pay to have a car and keep it, you could probably just hop a cheap flight somewhere for the weekend. Don’t forget you can always train to Flip, Flip, Flipadelphia.

My friend lives in the Inland Empire. He doesn’t have quite the income level that Nerdy does!! :wink:

And this is what was trying to link before:

Zipcar has recently started to include some higher end vehicles in their selection, such as BMW X3, Mercedes C Class, and so on. In my opinion, this is a good alternative to people who would otherwise pay to keep their own car in a garage. The more expensive cars are unfavored by most Zipcar users. So, they are more likely to be available and not messed up when you want them.

Manhattan is just not friendly to car ownership. Even if you tolerate the cost of parking, you will have to deal with maintenance, finding gas stations in the city, and the parking attendants inevitably scratching your car on something. On top of that, your car will likely be sitting unused for 2-3 weeks at a time regularly, which is probably not good for it. It is better to divest yourself from the responsibility of car ownership, from my perspective anyway.

if you lvie i na megacity with high density, good transportation, and live close to work. id get rid of my car.

cars are super expensive if you think abouti. total monthly costs are prolly over a g a month:

$550 for new car payment

$250 for gas

$125 for insurance

$100 for parking

$100 for repairs/cleanup.

That’s equivalent to a mortgage payment for a 225k condo.

and a condo appreciates in value!

Just do some google searching for monthly options. You’ll probably have to walk a bit to get a good deal if you live in a dense and/or upscale neighborhood. Pier 40 is a good cheap option if you live anywhere on the west side, downtown.

How did you bypass the swear filter? You can say the F word on here? I would pay top dollar for that privilege.

Fucking

Edit: Mobius Striptease needs to share this knowledge with others. I’ve almost stopped swearing on here because adding an apostrophe to fucking or bolding one of the fucking letters is too taxing.

This is one of the many reasons why I could not survive in NYC.

Where I live (and everywhere I have lived), if you want to get someplace, you get in your car and drive there. And 99% of the time, parking is not a problem. (If it is a problem, then you already know it will be a problem and you plan ahead for it.)

Ya when I visited NYC last year we took the subway everywhere, and found it pretty easy to get around. I would think going for groceries would be a bit difficult though.

You don’t get groceries delivered yet?

What sorcery is this??? And how do I get in on it??? :smiling_imp:

Well we can do an online order then pick them up at the store. But no, no grocery delivery that I’m aware of. We do a lot of shopping at Costco - like this weekend my wife has been bugging me about buying the vitamix blender - you know the one that could blend a cement block into a shake if you wanted to - ended up getting one of those. So now I have to eat all my meals in shake form.

You can also hyperdecant your wine with that thing.

Not sure what swearing you’re talking about you AF сocksuсkers, if you do control-f you’ll see that no filthy words said by me come up on this page. Thanks for all inputs, yeah I guess zipcar it is… I dont use anything but uber or subway for traveling within the city, should have clarified I need car mostly for weekend roadtrips, etc. Probably at 1-2x per month roughly breakeven

fucking

Figured you out bro.

^^You are both in violation of the Rules.

Please tell me how you did it.