What should the punishment be for financial fraud?

Read this article about WorldCom’s CEO, opinion writer says he should be released after serving 13 years of a 25 year sentence. $11B financial fraud.

What do you think the punishment should be?

I think death by hanging is appropriate, right in front of the NYSE.Or maybe guillotine. Leave him there for a couple weeks as a reminder. Fuck thieves.

You should be forced to walk barefoot and naked through the streets, all the way from the Sept of Baelor to the Red Keep. While listening to this annoying lady ring a bell out you. (Good news–you get to sic your puppet, a 7-foot, 400-lb behemoth on her, to brutally rape her and probably cut her in half a few months later.)

Embarrassed Shame GIF

This guy is one of the most skilled BS’ers and conmen alive. What a waste to have him sit in jail for a decade. They should practically seize all his assets and make him legally unemployable, except for a government job where he performs negotiations or some other relevant function.

oy

https://www.ais-cpa.com/tax-fraud-by-the-numbers-the-trump-timeline/

They have to at the very least let us document their post “lose everything” lives so we can exploit their tantrums via netflix for our own advantage.

Seriously, if you don’t like this show, then delete me.

Who are those people?

The cast from the show Schitt’s Creek. Basically the plot is a super rich NY Hampton’s living family was engaged in some shody business practices without their knowing, and the government comes in and seizes all their assets. Their last names are all “Schitt” - I think - and they bought an old town called “Schitt’s Creek” as a joke since it was the same as their last name. . and well, it goes exactly as planned if you took a bunch of entitled rich kids and forced them to live in a rural 200,000k GDP town.

10/10 show. would recommend.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0uWS6CnC2o]

eugene levy is a funny dude. american pie dad was one of the best

That’s a difficult question. If you rob someone at gunpoint, you’re looking at life in prison, but if you destroy the lives of hundreds of clients and investors, you might walk away with a slap on the wrist. That’s a big disconnect. I believe longer sentences act as a deterrent, especially for white collar crimes, so I’d say that the CEO should serve his full sentence, hopefully in a federal pound-me-in-the-ass-prison.

^That’s probably not the best analogy as getting robbed at gunpoint has the potential to end in death. Having a dude in an Indian call center bilk an old person out of a few thousand dollars isn’t quite the same. Although those calls are much more annoying.

agree with cod. personally i would rather be dead than broke. so white collar crimes should be more severe. i dont believe in locking people up though. i am a bigger fan of making them destitute. and if they commit another crime, death.

OP was talking about Worldcom scale fraud, not some petty amateur-hour Indian call center scams. The point I was trying to make was that an armed robbery that destroys the life of maybe one person is punished much more severely than massive financial fraud that destroys the lives of hundreds of people.

Speaking of which…

“Mnuchin Says He Didn’t Know Milken Would Benefit From Tax Help”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-29/mnuchin-says-he-didn-t-know-milken-would-benefit-from-tax-help

^I think that’s right, I mean it is a total disconnect. Gun violence, terrorists, we are all up in arms (no pun intended), but those idiots kill people instantly. The fraudsters kill people slowly, as nerdy said, by making them destitute, desperate, stewing in stress, anxiety and uncertainty. Steve Cohen paid a billion dollar fine, but he made $10 billion!!! Who’s not guilty and pays a billion dollar fine? How is that fine a deterrent for him…now he’s back in the business.

In the spirit of an eye for an eye, they should start them out with a relatively light sentence and fine then slowly expose that the actual outcome is much more severe. They think the 6 months and 100k fine is great, then at 5 months it becomes 9 months and 150k, then at 8 months it goes to 15 months and 250k and so on until the entire scheme is exposed with a fine equivalent to their net worth (including their home) and 20 years in Turkish prison.