Nakasendo Trail

Anybody ever done this walk?

I’ve been on parts of it near Osaka and Kyoto. You can pick up the trail at a number of different places between Tokyo and Nagoya. It is very nice. I did a 3 day leg where we stayed in local hotels and one onsen in different towns. It is super easy, you don’t need to pay a guide or anything. One of my friends did a longer tour, and he hired a service to push his luggage to the next destination so he could walk with the smallest pack possible.

If you want to hike in Asia a real contrarian idea is to visit Hong Kong. Really excellent hikes, cheap hotels, and the hikes are not anywhere near protests. Just do it during the cool weather months.

i hear malaysia has a lot of 5 star hotels that go for less than 50 bucks a night. i recently saw a troll video on insta models wit htheir travel blogs. and when they travel flex, it looks like they got a lot of $$, but its really not much!

Thanks for the info! I’ll be going to Japan anyway and was thinking of this as a way to get out of the big cities for a few days during the trip. I’ve been hiking all around China but never in Hong Kong. I’ll need to check it out.

Malaysia is fantastic, great food, people are nice, nice beaches, and cheap lodging. It is hot, so not for everyone.

HK hiking is world class, and i have hiked all over the world. You can take an inexpensive boat out to a remote, pristine beach – you’d think you are in Thailand or Phils. Then can hike back on well marked trails like Wilson or Maclehose trails and the views are amazing with no crowds. Can also do the Dragon Back which goes over Victoria Peak with postcard views of the skyscrapers. Nowadays thanks to Uber you don’t have to plan very much either.

Another excellent day hike from Tokyo… Catch an easy to find bus from Shinjuku to Mt. Fuji. Can hike around all day, have lunch in one of the villages, and then stay overnight or head back to Tokyo on the bus in the evening.