ellen de generes! i dont undetstand this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFwZUmVtv30

so these 17yo talks about her problems. her mom died early. dad recently lost his job. so she begs for help.

ellen decides to help them by giving 150k, and a trip to paris and greece.

anyways i was literally confused, cuz this family looked like the had a nice house nice clothes. like they look like a pretty above average family with a bit of tragedy.

they literally couldnt find any homeless people in la to help? cuz theres a ton of them. and they’re real dirty. theres even white ones too.

I’m not sure that Ellen needs your approval on whom she decides to give her money, nor does she owe you an explanation on how she arrives at her decisions.

In short: ain’t none of your business.

I think Nery brings up a good point. If she is the one who decides to whom she gives 150k, it’s only natural to wonder why she picks a middle class girl who’s just having a rough go but would probably do just fine in life even without the 150k while there are tons of families for whom such amount really is a life saver.

And I think that I bring up a good point: whether or not it’s natural to wonder why she does it doesn’t make it any of Nery’s business.

There was a wonderful line in a movie from years ago − I wish that I could recall the movie and which character said it: “My reasons are my own.”

not my business. But Ellen said she wanted to help struggling families. That doesn’t look like struggling. It looks more like families that experienced a tragedy that Basic ass middle class America can relate to. That would be a more accurate name of that segment.

The Simpsons borrows a lot from old movies and TV shows.

She probably mirrors the demographic of her viewers. People who watch the show will emphasize with the people, as they are similar to themselves. What, you think this show is run as a charity? The reaction is kind of like how poor people are shown to be more likely to be charitable than upper middle class people. They are probably not more generous inherently, but the poor people see themselves in the shoes of charity recipients.

It’s just about ratings, they probably ran a few focus groups and decided that this family has the characteristics that elicit the most equity for Ellen’s show. Ellen being as woke as she is probably want to give a different impression of what poor looks like versus what viewers like Nery think. And it worked.

If you go down that road, you can’t really discuss anything that doesn’t involve yourself.

I disagree.

Because her show is entertainment and not charity? What’s more appealing to middle class housewives watching Ellen: Giving a newly widowed and unemployed dad with a kid $150k, or some homeless dude that would have no idea what to do with that money other than likely OD on booze and drugs.

While I would prefer to watch a reality show featuring the latter, I’m pretty sure my wife would tune in (and does) for the former.

Edit: Didn’t read all the replies before responding. So…what ohai said.

I wasn’t really wondering why she did what she did. I was wondering why Magician thinks Nery shouldn’t question her decisions.

https://youtu.be/5GGO4fj4av8