best (asian) airline

I stick with southwest for most of my USA travel. When I’m crossing the pacific to Asia, I want an airline where the food isn’t disgusting (United). Recommendations?

Cathay Pacific ain’t bad. But none beats Singapore airlines in my opinion.

Philippine airlines is the best but I could be biased lol

Most Asian international airlines have far better service than US domestic flights. I don’t think you will be disappointed with the service in most of them.

However, it is important to choose airlines based on the nationality of passengers they are likely to carry. Some countries tend to have passengers who are not used to traveling by air, and do not observe good etiquette in terms of noise and cleanliness. You should avoid flights that are likely to connect through China, specifically, if you are going in that direction. You’ll probably see some flights with China Southern or similar airlines that are cheaper than Cathay Pacific, etc. Take this into consideration before being tempted by the cheaper fares.

To Nery’s point, Philippines passengers are generally very tolerable; they are used to traveling since so many of them work abroad. South Koreans and Hong Kongs are fine too. Japanese are probably the best because they are so quiet and lots of them wear face masks, so they won’t even breathe on you (they also all get drunk on the airplane and pass out). Thai/Vietnam sort of people are ok, but they do weird stuff sometimes like try to sleep on the floor. In fact, the airline sometimes makes a special announcement telling people not to do that.

Singapore Airlines always gets good reviews, but I’ve never really seen anything that is noticeably better than other airlines. Maybe it’s just me.

The comments above assume you’re flying in economy class. If you are in business class, or “premium economy” to some extent, you don’t have to care as much about the other passengers.

Singapore Air and Korean Air are the best. But all the East Asian names have vastly more pleasant service than openly hostile Western airlines.

United? Are you serious, have you flown an Asian or middle-east airline? Also, to judge the best have to also consider the airport and airport lounge. For this reason, Korean Air cannot be best or Asiana, Incheon airport is ok but their lounges are awful. Singapore Air is ok, but not great from the US east or middle. Personally, I don’t like their seats in either biz or economy.

So…the best are Cathay (Oneworld) and ANA (Star). The service is great on both whether you fly biz or economy. Staff are professional, but not fawning in that phony asian style. The planes are staffed properly, especially on CX, with many attendants in every class. The lounges for both are excellent. CX in particular has lounges in many airports around Asia and if you’re Diamond then you can use any Oneworld lounge.

Overall, I think CX edges out ANA, because the Hong Kong airport is the best airport in the world. Super efficient, excellent place for connecting flights. Short runways, so you land and arrive at gate in 5 min. Immigration staffed properly, baggage service is fast, almost no customs issues, and finally a train that leaves every 10 minutes and zips you into the city in 30 minutes.