10 things CFAI should consider

CPierce Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > N.VanCandidate Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > > You should check into CFP examination results, > > here in Canada it is administered by FPSC and > > twice per year. Pass rate is 40-60% on each > > seating so very similar. Not everyone passes > and > > pass rates have been declining. Mind you CFP is > > much easier than CFA. > > come on … it’s canada and CFP. HAHAHAHA - I love Steve Nash and Celine Dion.

Pretty much disagree with all points. This is the CFA, if you want the designation, then you have to pass exams that they design and play by their rules. Nowhere in your candidate pledge was it promised that the exams would meet your personal definition of fair, that they would only test your strong subjects or that procters would provide hand release to calm your tensions. This is the game, it’s hard, it’s a marathon, you have to stay disciplined, there may be time constraints that rattle you and there may even be *gasp* tricks, and you’ve got to hold on to your composure. If you didn’t know that going in, you should have learned it by now. No one is making you go after the charter, if you don’t like the game, then just quit.

Chi Paul Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pretty much disagree with all points. This is the > CFA, if you want the designation, then you have to > pass exams that they design and play by their > rules. Nowhere in your candidate pledge was it > promised that the exams would meet your personal > definition of fair, that they would only test your > strong subjects or that procters would provide > hand release to calm your tensions. > > This is the game, it’s hard, it’s a marathon, you > have to stay disciplined, there may be time > constraints that rattle you and there may even be > *gasp* tricks, and you’ve got to hold on to your > composure. If you didn’t know that going in, you > should have learned it by now. > > No one is making you go after the charter, if you > don’t like the game, then just quit. I understand your stance on this but what goal CFAI accomplishes by doing things like setting up booby traps, forcing you to answer a question quickly so that you are more likely to make mistakes and thereby waste your year, making you wait for an entire year so that you have to re-learn almost everything from the scratch because you forget most of what you learned a year ago etc. This does not reflect the real world where you have ample time to solve a problem, there is no word game going on etc. I wish CFAI can answer this question.

Honestly, I don’t think CFAI originally was set out to play word games and mess with people on booby traps and such, but as the candidate pool increased, the Board of Governors probably looked at the growth and said - “Wow, if everybody that is a candidate receives their charter, this is going to diminish the value of what we’re pushing out…How can we keep the value of obtaining a charter high while still keeping people in the program…”

Disagree with no.1. You will see hell lot of charterholders

Ashwin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Chi Paul Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Pretty much disagree with all points. This is > the > > CFA, if you want the designation, then you have > to > > pass exams that they design and play by their > > rules. Nowhere in your candidate pledge was it > > promised that the exams would meet your > personal > > definition of fair, that they would only test > your > > strong subjects or that procters would provide > > hand release to calm your tensions. > > > > This is the game, it’s hard, it’s a marathon, > you > > have to stay disciplined, there may be time > > constraints that rattle you and there may even > be > > *gasp* tricks, and you’ve got to hold on to > your > > composure. If you didn’t know that going in, > you > > should have learned it by now. > > > > No one is making you go after the charter, if > you > > don’t like the game, then just quit. > > > I understand your stance on this but what goal > CFAI accomplishes by doing things like setting up > booby traps, forcing you to answer a question > quickly so that you are more likely to make > mistakes and thereby waste your year, making you > wait for an entire year so that you have to > re-learn almost everything from the scratch > because you forget most of what you learned a year > ago etc. This does not reflect the real world > where you have ample time to solve a problem, > there is no word game going on etc. I wish CFAI > can answer this question. There are over 100k charterholders that have passed the exam under the same conditions. The designation has credibility in the industry because it is extremely difficult and it takes both intelligence and work ethic to pass it. All of your earlier points serve to undermine the designation’s worth in the industry. It makes no sense for you to want any of that. Study harder next time, pass it, and I gurantee that you will feel differently when you are on the other side. There is a 0% chance of any of those happening, except maybe a proctor overhall at some point if complaints get out of hand.

Ashwin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Chi Paul Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Pretty much disagree with all points. This is > the > > CFA, if you want the designation, then you have > to > > pass exams that they design and play by their > > rules. Nowhere in your candidate pledge was it > > promised that the exams would meet your > personal > > definition of fair, that they would only test > your > > strong subjects or that procters would provide > > hand release to calm your tensions. > > > > This is the game, it’s hard, it’s a marathon, > you > > have to stay disciplined, there may be time > > constraints that rattle you and there may even > be > > *gasp* tricks, and you’ve got to hold on to > your > > composure. If you didn’t know that going in, > you > > should have learned it by now. > > > > No one is making you go after the charter, if > you > > don’t like the game, then just quit. > > > I understand your stance on this but what goal > CFAI accomplishes by doing things like setting up > booby traps, forcing you to answer a question > quickly so that you are more likely to make > mistakes and thereby waste your year, making you > wait for an entire year so that you have to > re-learn almost everything from the scratch > because you forget most of what you learned a year > ago etc. This does not reflect the real world > where you have ample time to solve a problem, > there is no word game going on etc. I wish CFAI > can answer this question. Trying to not hang around on here too much until exam day, but this thread caught my attention. Agree 100% with everything Chi-Paul stated - nowhere does it say that the test’s sole purpose is to test your knowledge, and the pressure of having to know everything for one 6 hour day is certainly a factor. In addition, where in “the real world” (I assume you mean your place of employment) do you have “ample time to solve problems”? Because if you’ve ever worked on a trading floor, that phrase is kinda laughable to hear. And the “booby traps” are a function of testing your ability to evaluate what exactly is being asked, so that you don’t give your manager the answer to a question that he wasn’t asking and cost your company lotsa money.