2009 Study Strategy for L3 Failures

Hi folks, New to the forum. Anyway, on my 3rd try at LIII. Take my word regarding the CFAI texts, if '09 is like '08, we need to focus on finding more questions to practice on. The EOC ?'s are VERY lacking IMO and don’t prepare you. Am going with the texts again, but will probably buy Schweser just to get some additional test questions to practice. Will probably register next week-need this week to bitch/moan and play golf!! Dear God, somebody remind me of why we are all doing and that there really is an ROI out there somewhere Best of luck to all.

ne_sashka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey, another failure here… > > the worst part is that i am in the top 10% of > failures…I’d rather fail by the large margin. > > Anybody wants to study together in Toronto? > > If yes, send me an e-mail ne_sashka@yahoo.ca See my post in the “Hookups” section …

after reading the thread here i realized that I simply missed the CFAI sample&past&mock exams which should be the vital part of my failure this time… here is my result. i did well in the PM but failed miserably in the AM session. Level 3: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 36 - * - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 - - * 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 36 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 17 * - - 5 Fixed Income Investments 13 * - - 6 Alternative Investments 11 * - - 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 17 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Execution 14 - * - 9 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 9 - * - 10 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 9 - * - 11 Portfolio Management 9 * - - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Derivatives 18 - - * - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 * - - We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 9 i am totally lost and so frustrated about the results. I felt pretty good after the exam in that I answered the questions using whatever Schweser has in its exam answer key. nothing was really surprising to me. i even sort of confirmed my answers in AF with others and felt good. however…>< so, do you think it is because I simply wrote it in schweser way instead of CFAI way? I used schweser three times for level III and failed three times including this year…Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between answering the essays in schweser way or in CFAI way??? please help me…i am so frustrated here…>

Anyone in NYC or NJ for study group and/or schweser notes sharing? I plan to ace this in '09

wizard76, Where did you get the past CFA exams up to 2000 ? Thank You.