3 Choices, not 4

It’s not a matter of how easy it is to pass because CFAI controls the pass rate. It’s a matter of how well the test differentiates people that know or do not know the material. For example, if there were 100 answers, you would have to know the answer to have a realistic chance of getting it correct. If there were only 2 answers (T of F) then even if you do not know the answer you have a 50% chance of being right. The implication is that reducing the number of choices in a MC exam just increases the odds that someone who doesn’t know the correct answer(s) performs better than someone who does, but guesses poorly on the questions he or she does not know. This also does away with 2 in 1 super questions where you have to pick between Yes/Yes, Yes/No, No/Yes, No/No.

The change may have been made to reduce the cost of writing the exams. The CFAI spends a ridiculous amount of $ writing the exam each year. There was a discussion about this somewhere previously.

All the 3 options given wud be difficult to choose from . There by making it tougher.

found this on a search. You think they could be doing it to discourage 3rd party study materials? Yes i know that CFAI text is now part of the package, but the online quizzes were always optional. Now outside materials like Stalla’s qbank may be rendered obsolete since this would be their first year with 3 options instead of 4. Thus increasing revenue from CFAI’s online store for practice questions where in previous years QBank was looked as the best way to pass level 1. At least, thats what i think CFAI wants us to think. well good luck!

it seems 3 options might be more difficult, because it will be more difficult to much easily eliminate the 2 typical distracters. I am assuming that all three options are likely to be distinct and different as opposed to 4-option questions in which 2 distracters easily bear common semblance that enable one to dismiss them and critique the 2 others… Soon, our perceptions and THE reality of this decision will converge…

Aerius Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > This also does away with 2 in 1 super questions > where you have to pick between Yes/Yes, Yes/No, > No/Yes, No/No. I hadn’t thought about this… definitely a positive.

misslee Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Aerius Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > This also does away with 2 in 1 super questions > > where you have to pick between Yes/Yes, Yes/No, > > No/Yes, No/No. > > I hadn’t thought about this… definitely a > positive. Or they may give 3 statements and we have to choose. 1) Yes, yes, No 2) No,No, Yes 3)Yes,No,yes I believe, we have to continue to do the hard work as we did for L1 and L2 and master all the concetps to pass this exam.

Rakesh Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I believe, we have to continue to do the hard work > as we did for L1 and L2 and master all the > concetps to pass this exam. i never implied that this exam will be in any way easier than L1 and L2 and that i do not intend to master the concepts. i’m actually in the camp that believes 3 choices makes it harder, and speaking as a person who has been caught in between many yes-yes/yes-no/no-yes/no-no crossroads in the past, was trying to shine some light and keep things positive.

hey guys. Every one know that the pass rate for cfa is declined sharply over the years , so the trend is down not up as CFAI want to make cfa designation more prestigious. I’m pretty sure that making 3 choice instead of 4 will make the exam more dificult becuase in the past we usually eliminate 2 choice and get crazy about the other 2. Now i’m sure that we will get crazy about all 3 choices as they will make the choices more complex and hard to pick the correct one.