70+ on 7/10 Topics and FAILED!!

mcap11 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > people who think Ethics is used as a filter are > completely wrong - that is a big myth I don’t think so, check out this thread: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,1267308

do not get deceived by the grading rubric - there is a big difference between getting 20% correct and 45% correct in the < 50% slot. It looks like it was a very close exam - where you scoring > 75% on your mock exams? Making guesses about Ethics or anything else does not do you any good - you either get the pass or you did not. As for what to study next time around I would say study everything, starting with FSA first then hit FSA again in May. Dont start studying too soon since you might forget what you learned! Did you start very early this year? Sorry about the mark, mate. Don’t give up you are improving and will pass, many CFAs have failed L2.

haha wow, that scorecard looks better than mine, and I was a pass. lol really not sure how that works. oh well, c’est la vie

thats a HUGE amount >70…but you failed ethics and BOMBED FRA, which was the highest point section. guarantee if you had passed ethics you would have cleared the exam

Truth be told, if anyone was given a choice between an ER job or passing L2, job wins 100% so at least congrats on the job! but you totally flipped you equity and FRA sections. you traded one fail for another.

yeah man you have an ER gig and you are sweating something like this? granted it is a disappointment but a fail is a fail do not let it get to you about how ‘close’ it was or was not.

Your 2011 scores look somewhat better then mine…I got Ethics, Equity, FRA and FI >70 AI between 50 and 70 and everything else below 50…still passed…but honestly I’d take the job over the pass in a heart beat!

I don’t think you can pass L2 if you don;t pass the Equity section. Kinda funny you failed Equity and work in ER. Its ok, I work in PM and specialize in Derivs and I bombed those on mine lol; I was also an Econ major and bombed Econ. I passed all the sections I had no experience with lol.

Those who say ethics for borderline makes the difference, not true. My scores: Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - * - - Corporate Finance 36 * - - - Derivatives 36 * - - - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 72 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 * - - - Quantitative Methods 18 * - - My strong areas are derivatives and quant (both < 50 above). Go figure CFAI!

to add, that was band 10.

Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 * - - - Corporate Finance 36 - - * - Derivatives 36 - * - - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 72 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 * - - - Quantitative Methods 18 * - - Above is my matrix and I have passed. I think it is important to get the big dogs, the Equity, the FRA, Fixed Income etc, as my matrix does not look too good but I have scored in these major categories and bombed the least important ones. Do not give up and try focus next year both on the knowledge itself but also on exam taking tricks and skills. Many questions in FRA and Equity were very tricky, you thought you nailed it down and actually you are just falling into a trap, so many should be double checked I think

Thanks for the feedback and responses, all. To quickly touch upon some of the questions: - I was scoring low to mid-70s on practice exams - Started studying in January (with a heavy ramp-up in early February) - Put in just shy of 400 hours, again - Equity: I know I nailed valuation, but I’ve been known to get tripped up on macro / industry analysis Appreciate the kind words regarding Equity Research. 100% aware that job wins EVERY time against the CFA, but it’s such a dissapointment to see 800 hours of hard work, somewhat wasted. Especially when the designation is tremendously applicable at this point. That being said, I know that my progress TOWARDS the CFA helped me to land in ER. So, I will need to take a few weeks to think deeply about my next steps. If you had asked yesterday, I was going to give up. This morning, the thought of Level 2 Round 3 makes me cringe, but slightly less-so…

Dang dreary sorry to see that.

Cfacandidate - looking at ur breakdown, your lowest score on the exam possible is 51.25% and highest is 84.5%. I think you must have done very poorly on FRA cause that range is pretty good. Ive seen other band 9 ranges that go from 35.6% min to 69.5% max. Looking at Dreary’s, that range is from 43.7% Min to 76% max, yet it was a band 10. So again, it all points to FRA.

Thanks very much, Spanishesk

Sure. Im sorry to hear about your results. Keep at it - hard work should pay off. The toughest thing about teh CFA is you can be very prepared and still not pass. Two of my strongest subjects - econ and derviates - were the ones i scored lowest on. Go figure.

Precisely. I am confident that I knew the material well enough to pass. And I put in the work needed. Just (another) bad combination of topics that didn’t align well to what material I knew BEST, how well I knew it, and how well I stood up to the overall pressures of the exam. Well done, CFAI, well done…

Can someone explain how to interpret what a band is? I am band 8 and have no idea what that means. How close am I do passing?

Re-read your score email in detail. It should explain what it means. I would improve your attention to detail. That could be why you didn’t pass

Here’s my breakdown…I’m a firm believer that I must have killed Ethics, and it may have given me a slight advantage to passing this exam…way too close to think about (in my opinion) - what do you guys think? I only got mid-range for both FRA and Equity…and <50 on 3 topics…>70 on corp finance and Ethics only btw, iteracom just pwned SFCandidate Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 * - - - Corporate Finance 36 - - * - Derivatives 36 * - - - Economics 18 * - - - Equity Investments 72 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Quantitative Methods 18 - * -