A Day in the Life Of...An Equity Research Analyst

dmnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I disagree with the view that IB is worse than SS > research. Yes, if the deal is closing tomorrow - > sure, long hours to get everything together BUT > overall the 7am-10pm SS research gig is all the > time; typical IB hours are 8-7 - you only close so > many deals in a year so literally we’re talking > about 20 days worth of craziness versus everyday > horrible hours in SS research Have you ever worked in SS R? “7am - 10pm SS Research gig is all the time” Not sure where you get your info. bud, but you’re way off. Im going to assume you’re regurgitating some comment you heard from “some guy” and have no experience in the industry. The hours aren’t that bad, NYC probably is the worst, but I know it’s not that bad.

this is a question for the buy-side guys: how much time do you on average get or take research a security end to end? from idea generation to talking with the PM…are there a couple of iterations? depending on the PM’s questions! do you have to write a full fledged report, or is it more like a one page thing? do you work on one security at a time, or multiple? i was hoping someone could shed some light on this process

It’ll vary from firm to firm, stock to stock. Keep in mind, these PM’s will already have preconceived notions about a certain stock before you even learn about the existence of this company. I think its safe to say most equity only PMs have been around long enough to see 95% of the tickers in the appropriate pool of stocks that you screen from. If the PM likes the stock (have good past experience w/ it, likes the name, has a brother as general manager there), pitching the stock will be a cakewalk. Maybe 1 pager highlighting your target price, catalyst, and risks would suffice. If its something totally new, then it’ll be a longer process. This process depends on how well connected you are with the sell side (who feed you info). If the coverage sucks, then be prepared for a long back-and-forth session on pitches.