a guide-how to pass level 2

eltia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFAI has adopted this policy that they do not show > which band you are in if you PASS the exam. The > reason is that they consider all candidates who > have passed equally accomplished. i.e. as far as > CFAI is concerned, if you pass, it’s a pass. It > means you have reached a certain level. The band > rating is given to FAIL candidates to help them > decide if they want to continue with the program > or not. > > So I think all this argument about “X months > should be more than enough to crack L2 or > otherwise you are not smart enough for Y” is moot. > I do not think it is consistent with CFAI’s > policy and the spirit of the CFA exams. You are > subject to your own opinion, of course. +1 Just because someone did it in X months doesn’t make them any smarter than someone who took longer. CFA mention specifically that claiming better analytical skills on having passes in straight attempts is against the ethics.

mmd1981 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SuperStar, > > I feel sorry for you man. This is what happens > when you try and help strangers… > > they bite your hand… > > Guys, really, I see some sick people here. I feel > sorry for your wives/ husbands/ significant > f$%#ers. > > Here this guy comes and try to share his > experience with you for sheer purpose that it > might help him end up in heaven, and the > replys come from all directions and at the end > they start to marginalize his pass. I mean WHAT > THE F%$K is wrong with you. > > Some of you really need to grow up and learn > something called “constructive criticism”… +1

AbhiJ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Superstar111 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > my background is BA Economics and then a > Masters > > degree again in International Economics… > > > > my work experience is 2 years of work > experience > > in a hedge fund as a research analyst > > > > I am not saying that it will work for everybody > of > > course,am just giving my opinion on how to > > approach this exam,am not forcing anybody to > adopt > > it,just trying to help > > > Now somebody with no background and no work ex in > finance attempts to follow your advice is going to > have a tough time. > > I appreciate your endeavour although it would help > a lot if you could have added your profile in the > 1 st post so that other people can make > adjustments to your schedule. > > I request all AFers to post their profile along > with their debriefings. This makes comparision a > lot better. +2

CFAOCBC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey people, not easy for superstar to volunteer so > please give him a break ! All of us comes from > places with different culture, different > upbringing, work experiences and educational > levels so just tweak his advices accordingly !!! +3

LanceS Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What do you know another one of these posts… > > **One person passed the exam with less than 100 > hours and then another person swears to all that > is sacred that no one could do it without 8000 > hours*** > > Who cares. This only confuses people. Everyone > studies different. Everyone learns different. > Unfortunately you will never be able to prove > > If someone KNOWS they learn best with flashcards > and strictly uses flashcards, who’s to say they > can’t pass with 150 hours of solid flashcard > memorization? If someone is a slow reader and > decides to read the entire CFAI curriculum, > highlight it and do every last practice > problem…it will probably take you 4x longer. > > Learn how you learn. Use that method. Have 1-2 > backup method for when this method gets boring and > your eyes get tired. > > Here’s some things I do: > > -Set an alarm to get up and run around to get your > heart rate pumping for 5 minutes every hour so you > don’t get sucked into a 2 hour day-dream where > you’re mindlessly reading but learning > nothing… > > -Avoid distractions at all cost. it might be > cheaper for you to go home and eat dinner after > work, but you might go home, eat dinner then sit > on the couch for 3 hours. You may have been > better off to grab a quick dinner close to your > office and stay there for 3 hours. Pick 2-3 shows > you really are interested in watching on TV and > only watch those shows. Personally I cancelled my > cable, as every show I want to watch are available > for free online the next day. You would not > believe how much more stuff you can do without a > TV, I’ll never regret doing this, and having an > extra 80$ every month is nice too. > > -I learn best from being wrong, so I scan through > the book to find 20-30 of the problems I will for > sure get wrong every day, proceed to get them > wrong and then force myself to break the problem > into simple steps that I will hopefully be able to > apply the next time. > > -If you go over enough practice problems you will > see that some concepts are hit 3-4x more than > others. LEARN THOSE CONCEPTS. This is the key > reason I passed level 1. > > No one can reasonably calculate how much time they > ACTUALLY studied. Some nights I will “study” for > 4 hours but day-dream for 2, other nights I will > study for 2 hours but the intensity was worth 6. > Furthermore, this is a random anonymous message > board. Who doesn’t want to be the “guy who > studied 50 hours and passed CFA, CAIA and FRM in 3 > years”. > > When you start studying also proves nothing. Most > of my studying for CFA level 1 was done in May. I > barely opened a book until Mid-April. However I > was studying 4-6 hours a day, and then 8-10 a week > before. This is just as much studying as someone > who started in january with 2 hours a day. > > anddddddddd bring on the criticism. +1

Damil4real Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mmd1981 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > SuperStar, > > > > I feel sorry for you man. This is what happens > > when you try and help strangers… > > > > they bite your hand… > > > > Guys, really, I see some sick people here. I > feel > > sorry for your wives/ husbands/ significant > > f$%#ers. > > > > Here this guy comes and try to share his > > experience with you for sheer purpose that it > > might help him end up in heaven, and the > > replys come from all directions and at the end > > they start to marginalize his pass. I mean WHAT > > THE F%$K is wrong with you. > > > > Some of you really need to grow up and learn > > something called “constructive criticism”… > > > +1 exactly, what the f*ing hell is wrong with these people. I didn’t agree with all of what he said, but I’m not gonna go out my way to insult him. These people need to grow up. There is no “secret” to passing the test. What worked for him might not be the best for you. Some like study groups, some learn better re-writing the text, others prefer to only take practice exams. But at the end of the day, you must a sad, lonely, little person to go out of you way to attack someone who is giving you free advice. I was curious, where are you people from? I have a theory…

+1

>ceo1975 Wrote: > > I was curious, where are you people from? I have > a theory… Haha…interested in this theory, already hypothesizing on what it is… I agree with your points…live in Wisconsin.

LanceS Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > >ceo1975 Wrote: > > > > I was curious, where are you people from? I > have > > a theory… > > > Haha…interested in this theory, already > hypothesizing on what it is… > > I agree with your points…live in Wisconsin. I think people from certain backgrounds simply love to argue. You might make a simple statement like “the sky is blue” and they’ll counter “is more like light-blue” and his type A cousin will say “you’re both morons, it’s light sapphire blue.” Meanwhile the whole point is that there are no clouds in the sky. Othewise, people who tend to be more well rounded, will take the advice for what it is, and not start a flame-war.

Ever heard a phrase - one man sister is other man’s wife.

green360 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 4-5 months is MORE than enough time to study for > the exam. if you’re not smart enough to be able to > get it done in 4-5 months, then you’re not really > gonna cut it in a front office finance role > anyway, so might as well quit while you’re ahead. Maybe the dumbest response I’ve ever read, good job.

AbhiJ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ever heard a phrase - one man sister is other > man’s wife. Random

dear friend , its nothing that u cant do …anything is possible .just believe in your self and go ahead.I am from IT back ground .i never knew what an asset was when i started preparing for level 1 on .I started it on dec 2009 .and i was able to give it 3 revisions by the end of exam .used youtube and schweser to understand concepts.never attented training classes as i could not afford them .i just believed in my hardwork and God .I did it easily .make up your mind strong .believe in only one thing … What ever your mind thinks …it will happen. f you think you can do …you can and if u think ur beaten you are beaten… in fact many of our friends who have cleared the l1 in this forum ,beleived in themselves and are still believing in them selves.

Superstar111 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- \> published…DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT NOT BUYING EVERY > SINGLE ONE OF THEM…they may not be the same with > the exam but it will give you a damn good idea > about the difficulty and style of the exam,and > believe me when you see that paper you will need > that psychological preparation… Thats the single best lesson I learned from my two attempts of L1. CAFI stuff is great and a MUST HAVE before exam. Nice post my Superstar !