A Paki's post.. so u gotta read! :)

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^Shut the FUCK up you clown:) i sure do miss Ladas

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And there it is again. > > Just proves to the world that Russians are > hard-headed people; kind of resembles the nation > for the past 2 centuries :slight_smile: > > Chinaman is offensive btw. Chinaman is considered offensive, seriously? I would equate it to calling an American a Yank, which I don’t find offensive at all.

Chinaman is offensive in the States in a similar way Paki is in the UK. It is offensive because it was used as a catch all phrase from everyone that looked like that, regardless of what country they were from. I guess it’s not as offensive as other names, but you willjust sound like a grandparent.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LaGrandeFinale Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > S/He wants to live the American Dream > > As an immigrant, I will attest that the American > dream absolutely exists. I have infinitely more > opportunities here than in my home country, > despite coming here with little money, few > connections and a noticeable foreign accent. Many > people take for granted how great it is to live > here. Probably then it’s just me, who haven’t had much luck in this country. I am also an immigrant with a noticeable accent and ofcouse a slavery work visa.

paki, chinki, desi, makku, gulti, ABCD are all slangs :wink:

LaGrandeFinale Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Probably then it’s just me, who haven’t had much > luck in this country. > Still enough to keep you from going back to your home country.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Chinaman is offensive in the States in a similar > way Paki is in the UK. It is offensive because it > was used as a catch all phrase from everyone that > looked like that, regardless of what country they > were from. I can certainly understand non-Chinese Asians being offended by being called a Chinaman. Are Chinese men offended by being called Chinamen? BTW, I’m not trying to be a smart-ass. I’m genuinely curious.

contemplating… Going back home was always on plate.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I guess it’s not as offensive as other names, but > you willjust sound like a grandparent. How do you now I’m not a grandparent? Your comment seems to suggest that there is something wrong with sounding like a grandparent, which grandparents would find offensive. :slight_smile:

calling a chinese man chinaman is the same as calling a black person negro. You tell me if it is derogatory term or not.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LaGrandeFinale Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > S/He wants to live the American Dream > > As an immigrant, I will attest that the American > dream absolutely exists. I have infinitely more > opportunities here than in my home country, > despite coming here with little money, few > connections and a noticeable foreign accent. Many > people take for granted how great it is to live > here. did you move here or did you come with your parents when you were a kid ?

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > did you move here or did you come with your > parents when you were a kid ? Myself. Parents are still in my country of birth.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > did you move here or did you come with your > > parents when you were a kid ? > > Myself. Parents are still in my country of birth. Personally, when I moved here on a scholarship. I was told during orientation " Remember how hard you had to work to get here, now multiply that by 1000 and you get how hard you must now work to stay here". I found that true. Now this guy has an advantage (his fiance - > Hence a Work Visa), but that’s about it. I can’t understand why he would throw away a good job in his country to start at age 24-25 with nothing here other than the right to work.

mo34 you make a lot of sense. I had a well to do job in my home country, which I decided to chuck and cross over to see if the A-dream exists & oh well, your one sentence which you heard during your orientation sums it ALL up. I have been fighting on every front, just because I don’t have a EAD/GC/CITZSHIP here. Forget about breaking ‘into’ finance with this work visa and a degraded CFA certificate (haha)

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >I can’t > understand why he would throw away a good job in > his country to start at age 24-25 with nothing > here other than the right to work. It’s because of the lady for sure. Working in the U.S. is great when someone has a solid U.S. education since many firms will tolerate a number of minor shortcomings (language/cultural) to get you. Without that education, foreigners are pretty much screwed.

I have to say the American Dream is more of an illusion today from the 20th century. America might be the only country not being seriously screwed in WWII other than the pearl harbor. Tons of European immigrants, including highly educated Jewish scientists fled to this country. The bottom line is America was more open to immigrants in the past century, so you would be more welcome to work here and live a similar life to the locals. Things changed after “911” and with the current crisis. Will America again become a leading innovation engine or become more and more like Europe – only time can tell. A lot of people, including some influential ones always cite history as a crystal ball to the future. Thay way, the Greeks will still be a dominant power today in Europe and Central Asia. But Dreams to different people mean different things. If you are not content with your current situation, it is time for a change. Life is too short to tolerate.

mellowman123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey guys!! This is my first post. Just joined AF > but I’ve been going through the stuff that has > been discussed here and I think its certainly very > helpful. Ok so here goes… > > I am currently living in Pakistan, 24, working for > one of the top 5 banks here as a research analyst. > I just cleared L1 in December and am planning to > give L2 in June’10. But I’m going to get engaged > in about a month’s time and my fiance will apply > for my papers so I can move to the US and live > there as obviously we are more likely to have a > much better future living in the States than in > Pakistan with all the mess and uncertainty that > exists here right now. I have always wanted to > get the CFA charter (I don’t know if i m using the > designation correctly or not but frankly I dont > really care cuz the scenario itself is more > important), but knowing that it is recognized in > the US and can possibly help me land a decent job > just added to my motivation. But now I realize > its not as easy as I thought it would be (moving > to the US and getting a decent job on the basis of > CFA only, cuz obviously my experience here won’t > really count for much). The market obviously > sucks right now and everyone seems to be getting > laid off. When I get there, there will be much > more qualified, much more experienced people > fighting for the same spot I MIGHT be fighting > for. So frankly, at this point I think its gonna > be impossible for me to get a decent job in asset > management, private equity, investment banking or > any other financial industry for that matter. > > I realize that im going to have to do some sorta > odd job when I first get there in a year’s time > (we’re hoping it would take a year but me being > from Pakistan I think thats highly unlikely). But > eventually, I’d want to enter the finance industry > and get a decent job and put all that I’ve studied > and enjoy doing to some good use. > > I just wanted to know how you guys think I should > go about it… Cuz obviously you guys know the > American market better than I do. What steps > should I take that may help me in settling down > there with a decent job in the financial > industry… Please feel free to comment I can > certainly use your suggestions… Thanks! > > Oh and we were planning to move to Dallas. are > there many financial firms there?? I dont exactly > know the setup. You mostly here about NewYork and > Chicago and thats bout it… OK I am Pakistani too. I understand your dilemma about not wanting to stay in the country due to political uncertainities, security issues etc. But dude, I doubt US is the best place to migrate at the moment. I understand you have your fiance there which will get you spouse visa and thus the right to work. But with current economic scenario, you know it would be very hard to secure a finance related job there. Why don’t you try to come to Middle East after getting engaged/married? Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar are good choices. I am in Saudi Arabia and in terms of money and job, i think i m way better off than I would be in Pakistan or US.

sumz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Qatar are good choices. Qatar wouldnt be a good choice, unless he wants to be barred from entering malls on Fridays with a Nepali guard telling him “Asian men not allowed”. That and the exit visa thing, where expats have to get permission from their employers everytime they leave the country, even if its for a weekend trip.

MMI Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sumz Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Qatar are good choices. > > > > Qatar wouldnt be a good choice, unless he wants to > be barred from entering malls on Fridays with a > Nepali guard telling him “Asian men not allowed”. > > That and the exit visa thing, where expats have to > get permission from their employers everytime they > leave the country, even if its for a weekend trip. lolz. yeah its very much the same in Saudia too. I just meant in terms of ‘money, savings, spending’. There are social costs, of course. Middle East is quite behind when it comes to human rights and quite ahead when it comes to racism.

You’re on the money parttime crook… it is cuz of my fiance that I’d wanna come there… She has lived there all her life. She has a US degree which obviously helps alot and she’s working on her CPA. she had a gud job, got laid off, but then had a few pretty good offers and if she wasn’t gonna come here to see me in a month’s time, she’d probably be working rite now. So my point is if atleast one of us has a good job when we start off, I think it makes more sense. Yes the situation is basically the same if she comes to Pakistan cuz i would have a decent job but she has lived there all her life and its quite a dramatic cultural change when someone moves here after spending such a long time in one of the western countries. Its hard to adapt. I can do it cuz i have lived in the States fora few years before. i attended high school there as an immigrant so i know wat the culture is like and wat to expect. So basically it would be an easier adjustment for me than it would be for her. Besides in real terms, what she would make and wat i would contribute with my odd job initially would buy us alot more than wat my ‘decent’ job could buy me here in Pakistan. Cost of living is very high and inflation is killing us here. And plus u never know where the next bomb might go off… i hate to say it but thats just how it is here now. too much uncertainly. Politics is screwing this place over. Middle East is like the last resort, after both US and Pakistan dont work out. It doesn’t make sense for both of us to start over completely at a place where we wont 'know anyone. We both have family in US and Pakistan, but noone in the Middle East. And that does make a difference to us… btw how the hell did we get to talking bout chinamen?? and personally i dont think the term paki is derogatory in any way. thats like calling an australian an ‘aussie’ or a british a ‘brit’… those arent derogatory in any way r they?? :S