A Paki's post.. so u gotta read! :)

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34, can you please explain how you got the $250K > in loans? I don’t know the author’s financial > considerations but yes, business school is > undoubtedly a huge investment. I think in most > good schools, it really is possible to get by on > $130-150K. A lot of the extra expenses come from > student trips and things like that…obviously > many would argue that these are integral > components to one’s MBA experience, but you can > still have a good education, meet many people and > get a good job without participating on all of > that stuff. I’ve met several people that were > already married before business school and they > seem to have a good time even if they can’t go on > the trips and party with their classmates all the > time. > > I also respect the fact that it would be a > challenging move for his fiancee as well, though > my impression was that she’d be on board with the > move and find a way to make things work. Numi, 250K sounds like a nice round number and it’s been mentioned in this forum before :slight_smile: I have no way of telling how much it would cost him. In any case, he’s got an uphill battle either way. But I feel the school route at his age and given his marital condition might be more risky.

Fair point, mo34. I agree, it’s a complex situation any way you look at it. Ultimately, the original poster knows his situation the best and should think about which benefits/risks matter most to him. I think there have been a lot of good posts from other people on this thread too, so hopefully he feels like he has a pretty complete arsenal of perspectives/advice.

Mandelbrot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just interested: is the word ‘Paki’ acceptable > slang for ‘Pakistani’ in the US? Is it freely > used in Pakistan? In the UK, I would probably > lose my job and get arrested for calling anyone a > ‘Paki’. i thought Bush said it once and got blasted… but he may have just mispronounced it???

im pakistani and i dont get offended by being called paki, most of my pakistani friends dont either. i think its only a UK thing because they used to have a racist group there that would go around attacking and beating up pakistanis. i think their group name was paki bashers and so thats why paki became derogatory there.

just like curry bashers in Australia.

pupdawg82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > just like curry bashers in Australia. here we go

Ditto - I’m Pakistani Canadian, and it doesn’t bother me. That said, tone has a lot to do with it, I think you can tell if someone means it as a slur. It’s not really a big deal in Toronto…in my experience at least.

apple whereabouts in toronto are u? im in mississauga

I’m in Mississauga as well.

khanazam Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > apple whereabouts in toronto are u? im in > mississauga apple85 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in Mississauga as well. Romance.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > khanazam Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > apple whereabouts in toronto are u? im in > > mississauga > > > apple85 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m in Mississauga as well. > > Romance. Haha not quite, I’m pretty sure I already know him :stuck_out_tongue:

apple how do u know me? who are u?

bromance

another AF bromance

>>“Let me guess…arranged marriage with a girl from your country, now a citizen of US?” No Phoenix… She’s my girl back from middle school/high school days when I used to be in Chicago. And shes a natural born US citizen. >>"2 - Pakistan might not be stable, but you have to consider the fact that you will be unemployed and probably for a long time given the current economic conditions and your lack of qualifications. " I dont think i’ll be unemployed when Im there. I think I forgot to mention that my sister lives in Chicago and a few of my cousins are down south in Atlanta. And some of her relatives are down in Texas. Most of these people have their own businesses so I can always work for them/ help them out. And as Numi rightly pointed out, people of the same ethnicities do tend to stick together so Im pretty sure I will be able to find some kind of employment, although its not gonna be even close to the financial sector or the investment business, but alteast i’ll be making something to support myself in the initial stages. >>“3 - One thing you could do is consider the Gulf region for the first 2-3 years of your marriage until things get better in the US, you get your CFA ( maybe a respectable MBA) and then make the move. ( Your wife could probably get a decent paying job in the Gulf using her American Passport).” Gulf region makes a alot of sense. And i think settling down there would be eaiser compared to the US, in terms of finding employement. But we dont wanna settle for that. We want to take a chance and try and settle down in the US before we go there. Its a contingency plan if things dont’ go well in the US. >>“Secondly, as others have pointed out, you can go to business school here. You’ll have a much better shot at getting a job in the US that way because the recruiting channels will be open to you.” Yes Numi i agree thats the best alternative but like mo34 said its too risky. I dont think i can afford to pile up huge study loans early on when i’ll have so many other things to worry bout (marriage, getting the papers, a job, the move etc etc.) AND WOW I THOUGHT THE LOANS I’D NEED WOULD BE AROUND 60-75K… I WAS WAYY OFF!!! >>“Besides, the girl is already settled in a specific city, so that’s a huge constraint he would face” Shes in Chicago, which im guessing is not really a constraint cuz Chicago, being a financial hub, is more likely to have job openings than smaller cities. But we’re planning to go to Dallas… Too cold up there :S BTW Thank you all for the suggestions/opinions… they are highly appreciated!!!

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bromance I’m female :stuck_out_tongue: thought you knew sub

apple85 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m female khanazam is gonna try to meet up in no time. Be careful, AF is full of stalkers.

apple would u like to meet me?

^lol

lol you guys are a bunch of jokers Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > apple85 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m female > > khanazam is gonna try to meet up in no time. Be > careful, AF is full of stalkers. and lol! i don’t meet AF guys, SMIRK may be the only exception :stuck_out_tongue: