A tale of two contrasting stories today

Tokyo is off the charts for models? What do you mean by that brother. Lived there for 2 years, it was chalk full of Russians, Phillipinos, ganguros, and skinny host boys with manbags

US public asked to play judge and jury for science funding If you had any doubts that science faces a rough ride in the next Congress, due to start work in January, watch this video. The incoming Republican majority in the House of Representatives has selected the National Science Foundation (NSF) as the first target for a “YouCut Citizen Review”, in which ordinary Americans are being asked to identify “wasteful spending that should be cut”. For several weeks now, the website of Eric Cantor, the incoming House majority leader, has featured a project called YouCut, in which people are asked to vote by text message and email on a series of proposed spending cuts. Each of the winners has been put to the floor of the House for a vote. As long as the Republicans were in the minority, these votes were all doomed to defeat – you can see a summary of the results here. But with the balance of power poised to shift, Cantor has unveiled a new variation on the theme: asking people to delve into the records of individual agencies for examples of waste. The selection of NSF as the first target will send a chilling message to researchers. The YouCut Citizen Review site includes a link to the NSF’s Award Search site, and a form for people to submit examples of offending projects. “If you find a grant that you believe is a waste of your taxdollars [sic], be sure to record the award number,” participants are told. “[W]e will publish a report outlining the grants identified by the YouCut community.” The suggested search terms – “success, culture, media, games, social norm, lawyers, museum, leisure, stimulus” – and the contrast drawn between “worthy research in the hard sciences” and “questionable projects” hint that researchers funded by the NSF’s Directorate of Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences have the most to fear. Research into social norms, for instance, is a hot topic in psychology, where researchers are discovering how our desire to fit in with the crowd can be used to trigger behavioural change – for example in encouraging people to save energy. Introducing the citizen review, Representative Adrian Smith of Nebraska, a member of the House Committee on Science and Technology, rips into one award of $750,000 to develop computer models to analyse the on-field contributions of soccer players. Based on the tax-bill paid by the average US family, he asks: “Should 75 families work all year to support soccer research?” But as LiveScience has pointed out, the research in question, led by Luis Amaral of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, is not actually devoted to soccer. Indeed, while the NSF issued a press release in June about a paper from Amaral on the performance of soccer players, this arose from models developed in grants awarded to predict the impact of recently published scientific research and to study the team dynamics of researchers working in virtual online communities. There is no immediate threat to projects such as Amaral’s: Congress sets the NSF’s annual budget, but does not control the agency’s internal grant-awarding process. Still, once the YouCut community has spoken, the NSF’s leaders may find themselves called to hearings on Capitol Hill to explain what they are funding, and why. http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/12/us-public-asked-to-play-judge.html What a joke. Yes, please cut more science and fund more wars.

Hmm not sure what neighborhood you were in. I see a ton of gorgeous girls in the financial district and Roppongi every time I go to Tokyo. The great thing about Japanese girls is that they are also very easy to get along with (unlike American girls, imo). Russian girls can also be fantastic, provided you are not on a budget and are okay with limited conversation (usually) LOL

I lived in Hiroo big Bro, right near Roppongi.

bromion Wrote: > The great > thing about xxxxx girls is that they are also > very easy to get along with (unlike American > girls, imo). You can pretty much put the name of any country in there.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hmm not sure what neighborhood you were in. I see > a ton of gorgeous girls in the financial district > and Roppongi every time I go to Tokyo. The great > thing about Japanese girls is that they are also > very easy to get along with (unlike American > girls, imo). > > Russian girls can also be fantastic, provided you > are not on a budget and are okay with limited > conversation (usually) LOL those good-looking girls you speak of are extremely high maintenance and are generally working in the hostess industry

I like high maintenance girls. Good point, marcus.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Have you been to China? There aren’t that many > models there, let’s be honest. Hong Kong /= China. > Besides HK in Asia, Tokyo is off the charts for > models but it costs like $1B / USD per day to live > there and have any kind of enjoyable lifestyle > (Roppongi Hill… holla). Not really relevant to > this thread, but just sayin’. > > Anyway, there shouldn’t be much doubt that China > is going to bust out the whuppin’ stick on the > U.S. eventually. Most Americans are fat, lazy and > stupid compared to people from a lot of other > countries around the world, let alone China. As a tall and handsome Chinese born American, I found no difficulties dating models or flight attendants, vacations in Shanghai, ChongQing, and HK has always been so memorable. I mean who doesn’t like 24/7 nightlife? and who doesn’t like walkin into a club with a bunch of hot girls?

In Asia, For Dating it’s a commodity market, for marriage it’s a commodity market, just the commodity and currency trades places. For getting laid, girls choose the guys, for getting married guys choose the girls. To nail the hottest chick, hit the gym, to marry the hottest chick nail the tests, simple.

Public education in the US will continue to lag other developed nations as long as there are no repercussions for being a crappy teacher and no rewards for being an exceptional teacher.