According to this heavily-followed guy on Quora, the CFA isn't worth the paper it's wrote on.

CFA program covers a lot of useful finance/investment knowledge. Problem is it requires an absurd amount of time on zero-value-added repetition/self-quizzing of minutia. Is that really the best use of 3-4 years??

I spent about 4-5 months per level, so let’s say 15 months, not too bad! Someone smarter than me with a finance background could probably do it with <1 year of study.

My thought is he’s somebody that sat for an exam but didn’t pass.

Read some of his other posts about IB and quant. Apparently, he worked in quant for a few years then went into IB becoming an Excel bi**hboy…LOL…so you’re telling me, you went from quant at some bank or fund making at least 250k a year (starting salary for quants in NYC is 175k all in) to entry IB slaving away 90 hours a week for 120k all in pay??

And what does he mean by “former Quant, Investment and Risk Manager” To a layman, this sounds sophisticated…To high finance folks this is equivalent to saying former F15E fighter jet pilot and Navy SEAL and West Point grad…yeah all in a military family but very different.