Acting/Modeling experience perceived negatively or positively?

Thanks for the input. Sounds like Ill keep and embrace the acting then. You dont think there is any concern as to appearing to be one of those overly artsy types that is weird? I could see some conservative finance types really hating that.

An employer spends an average of 7 seconds on a resume.

I don’t think modeling is anything to hide…I think it’s great, especially HR chicks sure.

To be honest, I’d conceal all your acting/modeling experiences on your resume. We were always told to tailor each resume for the job and company that we are applying for, so you could virtually have one unique resume for each job you’ve applied for. For a finance related job, it’s not relevant, so you shouldn’t really include it anyway.

I’m a magician, but I don’t write that for my employee when applying for an investment banking job. It comes off as deadbeat, like a highschool student applying his resume to McDonalds. They don’t care if you have an IQ of 140, co-authored a journal on singularities, or are a superstar athlete. It’s not a graduate program. They are looking for select qualities that could best get the job done.

^^^ good points. thanks

are you this guy Vandelay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YUXIKrOFk

Yes that’s me. except I have the CAPM equation tattooed on my right pec

If i was hiring and i saw that on a resume, it would definetly be a negative

Your success in finance should depend on skills, work ethic, and education. It will be perceived that you’re trying to skate by on looks.

And we all feel a certain way about women like that.

^ True, i can see that, but i think one could argue that there are some at least semi-applicable skills that could come from professional acting. It also demonstrates the ability to succeed in many different areas in the sense that i was chosen for roles over other actors.

lol

Pros:

Makes me seem well rounded/ artistic +.0001

Gives additional job experience +0

something unique to remember me by +.5

HR chicks might want to know if im hot and call me into an interview +0

Cons:

Might make me seem arrogant/weird/trying to brag -10

Not related at all to finance -50

people might not trust me because they think I am a good actor and would be good at fooling them. 0 (no comment)

So, total value = -59.4999 points

Bernie Madeoff demonstrated a well-rounded assortment of capital market knowledge, charisma, and fund-raising. What is your point? If you wanted to show soft-skills and the ability to get along with people, that should come out in your collaborative efforts with other MBA students and past coworkers, or people in your company that are in other departments.

I think it would be socially acceptable to respond to an interview question with a quick comment about amateur acting, but I think it would rub most of us the wrong way if you LEAD with a comment like that on your paper resume.

I think all are jealous here. Us good-looking people have it tough.