Advice for those who did NOT pass today...

Greenman, are you Argentine -or- British?

LOL. I’m not usually one to criticize people on the internet but this post is just so funny.

Why choose? 1983 was a long time ago.

I’m actually from Dagobah. But it wasn’t on the list, so I picked the most remote place I could find on the list. I would have picked Antarctica, but somebody else had already picked it.

I have to say, having my Bachelor’s in Economics, 2 years of M&A work experience, and 1 year of buy-side experience definitely helped me jump start for Level 1…I was already practicing a lot of the Level 1 materials at work…I would say yes, I think it would be a bit harder for folks with no finance/accounting/econ background

Wow, so Greenman takes time out of his day. Doesn’t attack anyone. Just says, hey, be careful, this might be a little more than some people bargained for and then takes some crap for it. Did someone call him arrogant? Too funny. I’ll just add to Greenman’s cautions. If homework, projects, papers, labs, and post test office hours have helped your academic performance, you may be in for a surprise. That is what is great about this program. You are a number. Biases do not affect your grade. Learn and retain the material and pass the test. Love it. The program doesn’t care about your pedigree or how much the professor likes you. There is no discussion about your performance or participation credits. Get through the program and you at least have objective evidence that you MAY be fit for a job in finance. This is very unlike life as a student or employee and it is exactly why the charter has value. No one really knows how you got into your top tier school or fell into your job, but everyone knows how you become a charterholder. I have taken math and engineering courses that are no doubt HARDER, but the difference is that I knew if I prepared for those exams, I would pass. That is not the case here for the majority of candidates once they have sat for a CFA exam. And that messes with the mind, body and soul. Yes, the material is not that hard, but the pressures are way beyond the material. Your family, who thinks you are a lot smarter than you are, has no doubt you will pass. Your coworkers can’t wait for your results. And all of them went three for three. Charterholders that are licensed to practice law in three countries put this process on a different level, Yeah, just another exam. What does Greenman know?

First time posting on this forum - Greenman, I’m gonna try to be as gentle as I can but no promises.

I come here every once in awhile, mainly to find information about the exam, what to bring on testing day, MPS, etc… And it’s a helpful resource. But I swear, you must post on every single topic. You post on Level 1, 2 and 3 forums even though you’re studying for Level 3. I’ve even seen you post this exact same topic before. Why are you so obsessed with telling people that fail that they should really consider giving up? You say it’s because you don’t want them to experience the same hardships that you are going through, you really care, etc.

Moment of truth time, that’s a load of BS. You post on here all the time because 1) you have attention seeking tendencies, and 2) you’re a bit of a narcissist. You want to rile everyone up and then tell them how you’re superior and you know more than them because you have passed Level 2 and have been studying for this exam for so many years.

Here’s what frustrates me the most. You’re telling everyone to consider quitting while you’re STILL STUDYING. I’m sorry, it’s the definition of hypocritical. And, on top of that, you say you are so busy with work and studying that you have no time to spend with your wife and your child, yet you must spend HOURS on this forum. News flash: this is an online forum. This is not your real community, and these people are not your real friends. Stop posting on every single topic and go spend time with the real people in your life.

The only way I could kind of understand your obsessive posting is if you were being paid by this website to do it (although I doubt you are because your posts aren’t particularly helpful). But even then, you are a tax manager, and I am 100% positive that anything they would pay you would be way less than the rate you bill out at. Your time is worth more than this. Stop.

A little background about me, before you accuse me of not even knowing what I’m talking about because I haven’t been studying for this exam for a million years like you. I took level 1 in December 2013 and found out yesterday that I passed. I studied for 2 months. I also have my CPA and spent 2 years in Big 4 audit. And finally, I already have a job in finance (equity research), which I assume is what you want since I don’t see how the CFA could have any relevance to someone who wants to continue to advance in a tax practice. Why do I care enough to post this? Because I’m tired of seeing all your posts, and I have some down time at work today.

May I ask how old you are? Did you get those jobs straight out of school?

Valas, I think you’re being a bit harsh.

This topic was from last year. GM just bumped his post. I think he said he passed L3 in June 2013. He’s just warning people of not underestimating this program.

What I didn’t like especially was your third paragraph. I don’t know how you can ssume GM is an attention-seeking narcissist. He never once said he was superior or better than everyone else. I just bet that if GM had a chance to start over, he would not be doing his CFA. He’s just letting others know.

Lol after reading this, I’m feeling sorry for greenman now. Poor soul.

oh snap

@Green man 72 :Sir 1st of all let me make few things clear :

1)I respect your dedication towards the Charter.

2)I find most of your posts to be really informative.

3)Last but not the least ,I respect you.

Now there are few things about you that put me OFF:

1)You are always bragging about your CPA+MBA+Series 7+CFA etc.I am just a 23 year old final year postgraduate (MBA)student and have cleared 50% ACCA (equivalent of CPA)+2 levels of FRM+1Level of CFA all with good grades in 1st attempt.I know i am nothing in front of you (if i take your age and experience into account) but still i have done good for my self till now.I also enjoyed bragging (you can check my earlier posts) but i have stopped it completely in recent times.

2)Some of your posts are really demotivating for CFA aspirants like us.We want intellectuals like you to motivate us.We want to suffer the hardship,face failures and learn all the lessons the “hard way”.We only want encouragement and motivation from you.

Forgive me if you are offended sir.

I disagree with Greenman, I think even if you fail L1, you can still go on to be successful in the program. I thought L1 was pretty hard, as I didn’t major in finance unlike many of the people here.

lololol “sir”

Here’s what he said below. Why take things out of context? You disagree with his actual statement? Appears all he is saying is that you might want to have a come to jesus moment with yourself before you continue, if you find yourself in those shoes. Why is that not reasonable advise? Should he say just keep doing what you’re doing. You’ll be fine?

"If you _ legitimately _ study for 6 months or more and still don’t pass, then I seriously doubt that you will ever pass Levels 2 or 3. Level 1 is cake. Level 1 is the application for admission. The real “meat and potatoes” start at Level 2. The time commitment and the difficulty levels shoot through the roof at the higher levels.

And if you didn’t really put in the time and effort to pass Level 1–what do you plan to change in June? Do you think you can do it all over again (plus another 100 or so hours) for Level 2? Do you think you can do it a third time for Level 3? Maybe you can, but you really need to take a hard look at yourself and how committed you are to the exam."

Wiseguy I see…

Y’all taking the internetz way too seriously. On the real!

I figured I’d take the time to respond to Valas.

Wrong. I was studying for Level 3 on January 23, 2013. This is some 370 days later. Since then, I have taken and passed Level 3. And since I have passed all three exams, I feel like I have at least a little bit of knowledge about all three.

Knowing now that I’m not studying for Level 3, that makes most of the rest of your post a moot point.

Hence why I tell people that they should rethink the CFA exam if they fail twice (or more). The opportunity costs of taking the exam are high. And they only get higher as you age.

I post here during the dead times, which has been for a couple of months. I don’t post when I have work to do.

Good to know. You’re somebody who can benefit from the Charter. And you seem to be bright and driven enough to study and pass. Ergo, my posts are not directed at you. (In fact, the title of this thread is “to those who DID NOT PASS TODAY”) My posts are directed at the cultrual anthropology majors who think that CFA is a golden ticket to Equity Research. Or to those who have failed Level 1 twice and wonder if they should continue. Or to those who, like me, have a life outside of work/school and don’t realize how much of it they’re going to have to give up, for something that may never pay off.

Why did I pursue the Charter? Mainly, because I thought it would propel me to a lofty job as a portfolio manager making three times what I’m making. It didn’t. So far, it has proven largely to be a waste of time. Time that I’ll never get back.

Good to know. If you don’t like my posts, then don’t read them.

Why did I pursue the Charter? Mainly, because I thought it would propel me to a lofty job as a portfolio manager making three times what I’m making. It didn’t. So far, it has proven largely to be a waste of time. Time that I’ll never get back.

[quote=“valas”]

Probably because you live on Dagobah…

As for the others,

@hei.so - you are 100% correct. I don’t think I’m superior or better than everyone else. But if I could go back in time to five years ago, I would not pursue the CFA charter.

@rahul roy - I’m not bragging about CPA/CFA/Series 7/MBA, etc. I’m just stating the fact that I have them, so when people say, “What does he know about taking tests?” they know that I’ve taken a lot of them, and that I have a frame of reference. I know how much harder CFA is than CPA or Series 7. And if you want to learn the “hard way”, then I’m sure you’ll get your wish. (Not offended, BTW)

@Palantir - I failed Level 1 and Level 2, and continued on to finish Level 3. So yes, you can have success even after failing. But I wanted people to understand that Level 1 is not indicative of the difficulty level of the rest of the exam, and if they truly studied hard and didn’t pass, then it will only get worse.

@Ghibli - thank you for actually understanding. Your reading comprehension skills are head and shoulders higher than most who will read this.

@Greenman sir: Thanks for clarifying smiley

Hi guys

Congratulations for 43% who passed the exam

For personal use, could you please help me fill SHORT POST-RESULTS SURVEY

http://cfatutor.me/2014/01/28/december-level-i-results-are-out-congratulations-to-38-who-passed-and-short-post-results-survey/