AF comments

I agree with the point that adding sticky’s would not curb the flow of redundant q’s, but it could make it easier to just say “see the stickies” because I do think the search function is pretty difficult to really find good answers with. The other logistical problem is in many topics we never really reach full consensus, so hammering out consensus answers among the forum would probably just result in some form of civil war tearing the whole place apart.

Just categorize the selections: Off topic Fundamental Analysis Careers Newbs Students … It’s not that difficult…the lack of categorization is really painful!!! You get turds asking the same question ad nausea

I also think this forum is full of losers that haven’t been able to make the career progression that they want, and therefore think it is impossible. Mostly all I see is posts like: You have no chance of making FO because you started in BO Your UG isn’t Ivy therefore you can’t work in finance The CFA won’t help you your too old/too retail/too far from NY/too IT-ish etc Your only hope from here is a top 5 MBA You started in retail and no one will ever hire you All MO/BO jobs are terrible GS, MS, PIMCO etc never hire anyone without perfect pedigree and the right schools… Its all crap. Excuses for why you are still in settlements even after passing L3.

But how would this work? Let’s say they make one “Will CFA help me get into ER?” thread and make it sticky on the top with comments open. Inevitably, it will grow to 100+ pages full of flames and beating on noobs. Now, I’m not saying that this will not be entertaining. Just, it will be hard for a new person to filter through all the abusive comments to get to the useful information. If AF compiles its own information, or selects some thread to make sticky with comments closed, then that’s like AF is endorsing a particular set of views on a subjective topic. So rather than have a sticky thread, it would probably be more effective to: 1) Improve the search function: for instance, add some sort of category that you can search for 2) Improve moderation of the forums to reduce trolls and flames Either of these would require some effort to implement, of course.

what if AF just blocked all users from India ? what do you think would happen?

1morelevel Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I also think this forum is full of losers that > haven’t been able to make the career progression > that they want, and therefore think it is > impossible. Mostly all I see is posts like: > > You have no chance of making FO because you > started in BO > Your UG isn’t Ivy therefore you can’t work in > finance > The CFA won’t help you your too old/too retail/too > far from NY/too IT-ish etc > Your only hope from here is a top 5 MBA > You started in retail and no one will ever hire > you > All MO/BO jobs are terrible > GS, MS, PIMCO etc never hire anyone without > perfect pedigree and the right schools… > > Its all crap. Excuses for why you are still in > settlements even after passing L3. I disagree. I think those who have the negative viewpoint (I’d fall in that boat) likely are in a position to make those comments. It’s the people that are in BO or IT that have a hope and a dream that are the positive ones cheering people on and not understanding why everyone is Debbie-downer. If you’ve seen how difficult it is to make the transition then you would be saying the same negative comments others are. Where there is a will there is a way. The problem is not many have enough will to overcome a sub-optimal start. Unique snowflakes excepted, of course.

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what if AF just blocked all users from India ? > what do you think would happen? this site would go out of business brah if that happened.

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SuperiorReturn Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > what if AF just blocked all users from India ? > > what do you think would happen? > > > this site would go out of business brah if that > happened. AF should make an indian site . bank it

Danny Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1morelevel Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I also think this forum is full of losers that > > haven’t been able to make the career > progression > > that they want, and therefore think it is > > impossible. Mostly all I see is posts like: > > > > You have no chance of making FO because you > > started in BO > > Your UG isn’t Ivy therefore you can’t work in > > finance > > The CFA won’t help you your too old/too > retail/too > > far from NY/too IT-ish etc > > Your only hope from here is a top 5 MBA > > You started in retail and no one will ever hire > > you > > All MO/BO jobs are terrible > > GS, MS, PIMCO etc never hire anyone without > > perfect pedigree and the right schools… > > > > Its all crap. Excuses for why you are still in > > settlements even after passing L3. > > I disagree. I think those who have the negative > viewpoint (I’d fall in that boat) likely are in a > position to make those comments. It’s the people > that are in BO or IT that have a hope and a dream > that are the positive ones cheering people on and > not understanding why everyone is Debbie-downer. > If you’ve seen how difficult it is to make the > transition then you would be saying the same > negative comments others are. > > Where there is a will there is a way. The problem > is not many have enough will to overcome a > sub-optimal start. Unique snowflakes excepted, of > course. ^ I agree, I’m glad people sand bagged my expectations early on when I began to rebuild my skill set. The only reasons I made the above transitions is because my expectations were adjusted realistically so I knew how hard I’d have to work to beat the odds, some luck and much hard work. When the first setback inevitably came, I didn’t throw in the towel because I’d been expecting a hard road. I’d rather know it’s a d@mn near impossible transition and have someone explain why, so I know what the obstacles are I need to be adjusting for. Had I not got my butt in top gear as a result on the onset, I would have not been prepared for the initial hardships, or the eventual opportunities. Also, I rip into people that ask naive questions about a nearly impossible transition because if they just dig in, accept the advice and work harder despite being told how slim the odds are, they’ll probably make it. If my initial bleak assessment scares them off, then I’ve also done them a service by saving them some time. Those sort of people were doomed anyway.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > But how would this work? Let’s say they make one > “Will CFA help me get into ER?” thread and make it > sticky on the top with comments open. Inevitably, > it will grow to 100+ pages full of flames and > beating on noobs. Now, I’m not saying that this > will not be entertaining. Just, it will be hard > for a new person to filter through all the abusive > comments to get to the useful information. If AF > compiles its own information, or selects some > thread to make sticky with comments closed, then > that’s like AF is endorsing a particular set of > views on a subjective topic. > > So rather than have a sticky thread, it would > probably be more effective to: > > 1) Improve the search function: for instance, add > some sort of category that you can search for > 2) Improve moderation of the forums to reduce > trolls and flames > > Either of these would require some effort to > implement, of course. That’s kinda what I was getting at. We’d literally have to build an FAQ thread. First by having separate threads for each FAQ that we could attempt to hammer out final consensus answers on. Then we could consolidate each consensus paragraph and question into a single FAQ thread that couldn’t be added to. But as I said, I don’t think that’d work for the reasons you cited.

the mod of AF is just here to monetize and has no real interest in the content of the forum. which is cool by me cause its a finance forum.

The only thing worse than those threads is people bitching about those threads. The only thing worse than that is people discussing how to solve the perceived problem.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The only thing worse than those threads is people > bitching about those threads. The only thing > worse than that is people discussing how to solve > the perceived problem. ^ and where would this gem of a post fall in that hierarchy?

quit adding to the problem captain

The only thing worse than people discussing how to solve the perceived problem is people responding to a post correctly pointing out that there’s nothing worse than people discussing how to solve the perceived problem. So let it be written, so let it be done.

It would really help if the search button were in a larger font and in more prominent place. Or actually a button. Even for people who are willing to do a search, the first task is to search for the search button.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 2) Improve moderation of the forums to reduce > trolls and flames > This.

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > quit adding to the problem captain Agreed. Captain has proved himself to be “the problem” just as he described.

Yeah, but with the sheer volume of stuff out here search is kinda difficult, especially if you’re new and don’t know how to phrase the search with the correct lingo

I mean, say you’re new and wondering if attempting to take cfa exams with limited intellectual abilities will turn you into a bitter old non-constructive troll who’s only outlet is playing boss on the internets, how would you know to search for “captain buttjammer”?