AF Investors Club -- any interest?

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^^ > > Random nobodies? What makes you so special dude? There’s a poor signal-to-noise ratio and consumption-to-production ratio on SeekingAlpha, or on any site that is completely public domain for that matter. That’s what I meant by “random nobodies,” though I can see how this might be misunderstood. Probably bad word choice on my part as well. As for what makes me so special…I don’t make that call. You can get to know me and find out for yourself. I think that’s a better strategy than being snarky. But this thread isn’t about me – it’s about this group that we’re trying to form, and I’m just being the “voice” of something that has been in the works for only a few days.

There are many investment clubs that don’t invest in anything. It operates more as a “think tank” where members produce research. In college we had a couple of investment discussion clubs, in addition to the ones that actually managed portfolios. When you start actually putting money at play, it becomes very bureaucratic and ineffective, investment decision making shouldn’t be a team effort.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Go for it. Around 1995 I was with a private > e-mail group, called the Gurus Club, with about 20 > people at its peak. It was a great group with > great ideas. The group then decided to have > annual meetings and people actually met and > discussed things in an informal workshop setting. > Not sure though if I would have the time this time > around, but urge you to try it. Dreary, that sounds awesome. How did you find out about this group (or how did they find you, for that matter)? I’d be interested in hearing about what you thought worked versus what you didn’t. And if you’re interested in giving things a shot again, let me know…am sure you could bring some useful perspectives because right now we are trying to figure out what the most effective way to implement this is. While there’s quite a bit of interest right now, one of the key matters of contention right now is figuring out what reasonable expectations are. We’re looking to foster high-quality discussions, but also understand people have lives and jobs outside of this club and we want to keep things fun…

why don’t we setup a big AF virtual stock exchange trading game for fun?

I only have 2+ years of front office experience, would I still be able to join this elite AF club?

numi, the group wasn’t formal in anyway…someone would email about a company he or she came upon or was interested in. Some facts were laid out, mainly business potential, growth, fads, shoppers’ trend, etc. Little technical or fundamental analysis was applied. It was mainly about business strategy, competition, and product appeal. That’s why I found it interesting. Crunching numbers, doing ratio analysis, and comparing numbers wasn’t interesting…and no one wanted to see that. After 2 years, I sort of got too busy and left the group.

count me in. :slight_smile: Will send you an email soon.

greengrape Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > why don’t we setup a big AF virtual stock exchange > trading game for fun? I always thought something like this could be fun. Or something very simple like at beginning of month t we each post say, 5 recommendations in a dedicated thread. The recommendations could be long/short and on any publicly traded instrument, from stocks, treasuries, futures, etc. Then in month t+1 or +3 or +6 or whatever we bump the thread and see who scored the best. Then the winner gets to go on a date with AF’s hottest chick…wait…

I wanna get in this club right now!!!

I know you want to make this a group of expert analysts with blue chip experiences (and good luck if you do) but I think it would be great if other active AFers were included in the discussion. I’d really like to listen to some ideas, see how investors think, get an idea of how pitches are given and participate in the discussion with my experiences/thoughts. Call it free-rider problem, but I think if done properly even people with little experience could contribute. Sometimes the most intelligent discussions are sparked by the most simple questions so you might find some dedicated amateurs useful to your club. Just a thought. Maybe these amateurs ‘try out’ by making a pitch which will receive constructive criticism. Then they will be allowed to listen/learn for a while and try again later. It would probably be interesting to see the progress. That would be a good club IMO.

Viceroy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Then in month t+1 or +3 or +6 or whatever we bump > the thread and see who scored the best. Then the > winner gets to go on a date with AF’s hottest > chick…wait… Great suggestion. Where are the AF hotties these days anyway? Not that there were many of them to begin with (maybe they were just that elusive), but there were at least some. I don’t think they’re active on this forum or even working in finance anymore for that matter though. Where’s the new class of freshmen?

lxwarr30 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know you want to make this a group of expert > analysts with blue chip experiences (and good luck > if you do) but I think it would be great if other > active AFers were included in the discussion. I’d > really like to listen to some ideas, see how > investors think, get an idea of how pitches are > given and participate in the discussion with my > experiences/thoughts. Call it free-rider problem, > but I think if done properly even people with > little experience could contribute. Sometimes the > most intelligent discussions are sparked by the > most simple questions so you might find some > dedicated amateurs useful to your club. Just a > thought. Maybe these amateurs ‘try out’ by making > a pitch which will receive constructive criticism. > Then they will be allowed to listen/learn for a > while and try again later. It would probably be > interesting to see the progress. That would be a > good club IMO. Well if you read a couple of the TS’s posts, and he’s hard to miss around here, you will notice that he seems obsessed with the notion of credentials, and loves to toss in his own credentials in the process. So I doubt he’s into creating anything inclusive.

lxwarr30 – I think that is a good idea and we’ll definitely keep that in mind as we get the ball rolling on this thing.

greengrape Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > why don’t we setup a big AF virtual stock exchange > trading game for fun? fwiw, there are a number of fantasy trading sites, where you create porfolios: http://www.investortrip.com/stock-market-games-for-beginner-investors/ http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10123887-2.html http://prooftrader.com/

Viceroy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Well if you read a couple of the TS’s posts, and > he’s hard to miss around here, you will notice > that he seems obsessed with the notion of > credentials, and loves to toss in his own > credentials in the process. So I doubt he’s into > creating anything inclusive. It’s not so much about that as it is about aligning execution with strategy and vision. If you can’t understand why this is important for any club, group or organization, then… *shrug* …not to mention that you’re pre-supposing a number of things about the goals of this group when some of them haven’t even been delineated yet. As I said, there are others in this group and we want to be focused on what we’re trying to achieve, especially at the onset. I’m comfortable being the interface for this group even if it means I have to respond to comments like this. Sorry if you don’t think this is something that would be a good fit for you…you can always start up your own group.

Sure there are groups like that out there. But I think the point is that it could be fun doing something of that type with the people around here. Anyways, it was just a thought and I’m not trying to derail anything here. DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > greengrape Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > why don’t we setup a big AF virtual stock > exchange > > trading game for fun? > > > fwiw, there are a number of fantasy trading sites, > where you create porfolios: > > http://www.investortrip.com/stock-market-games-for > -beginner-investors/ > http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10123887-2.htm > l > http://prooftrader.com/

I don’t know… some people are better at doing the research… other people are better at the criticism. There should be some room for both. I suppose we’d need some kind of points system… so many for a contribution that gets reviewed… so many for a comment that is useful… And if other people find stuff you say or contribute valuable, they can give you a +1 or something… And then you’d need to average a certain number of points per quarter or year or whatever time frame is required. The value investor’s club has people enter by submitting some kind of report or research, which - if good enough - gets accepted and you’re in. There’d need to be a code of conduct… demerits for excessive flaming. Getting tossed out for presenting other people’s work as your own (that wouldn’t mean you couldn’t present other people’s stuff and add your commentary - you just couldn’t pretend the other stuff was yours). The real issue would be how to avoid gaming the system - assuming the system is worth trying to game. And we’d need a website to communicate through… that sounds like a lot of work right there… but maybe there are web-based resources that can help.

lxwarr30 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know you want to make this a group of expert > analysts with blue chip experiences (and good luck > if you do) but I think it would be great if other > active AFers were included in the discussion. I’d > really like to listen to some ideas, see how > investors think, get an idea of how pitches are > given and participate in the discussion with my > experiences/thoughts. Call it free-rider problem, > but I think if done properly even people with > little experience could contribute. Sometimes the > most intelligent discussions are sparked by the > most simple questions so you might find some > dedicated amateurs useful to your club. Just a > thought. Maybe these amateurs ‘try out’ by making > a pitch which will receive constructive criticism. > Then they will be allowed to listen/learn for a > while and try again later. It would probably be > interesting to see the progress. That would be a > good club IMO. I agree with this

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JOE2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ^^ > > > > Random nobodies? What makes you so special > dude? > > There’s a poor signal-to-noise ratio and > consumption-to-production ratio on SeekingAlpha, > or on any site that is completely public domain > for that matter. That’s what I meant by “random > nobodies,” though I can see how this might be > misunderstood. Probably bad word choice on my part > as well. > > As for what makes me so special…I don’t make > that call. You can get to know me and find out for > yourself. I think that’s a better strategy than > being snarky. But this thread isn’t about me – > it’s about this group that we’re trying to form, > and I’m just being the “voice” of something that > has been in the works for only a few days. Find out about what? Why you couldn’t pass the CFA exam and specialize in tossing around your credentials to prove your awesomeness? Get a life dude.

Hi numi, Do you think a mixed group of value investors, macro investors, short-term traders, and “other” money makers would work? What would give contributing members a reasonable assurance that they would get out as much as they put in? For example, it’s hard to see value investors being interested in any of the other camps, no matter how good the analysis, and vice versa. Serious question, I’m not criticising your idea.