Affirmative Action Curve?

Ashwin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Seriously, this by far the most moranic post. > Sir, you need to take L1 first to find out > yourself whether there is any affirmative action > curve. Not saying if it is true or not, just asking…don’t know if it is fair or not, but I am leaning towards thinking that a little AA would be fair to compensate for the language barrier…and to compensate for those that grew up in poor rual towns…or those that grew up in inner city schools.

I stubbed my toe morning of exam - what do I get? I’m white (well, a little pinky hue) if it matters.

affirmative action creates an environment where you can never know whether someone’s achievement is due to excellence, or if its instead due to the lower standards of affirmative action. i genuinely believe that its hurting the very groups it purports to help

You can argue that AA is justified in providing access to education (like college admission). However, AA has no place in in determining pass rates for professional certification. The purpose of professional certification is to demonstrate that you possess certain specialized knowledge. You cannot handicap measures of knowledge for certain groups of people. Imagine if the requirements for becoming a certified deep sea diver varied based on a person’s race. You would end up with many dead minority divers.

AA is just ridiculous, but I don’t think it would be unreasonable to be offered in a few different languages other than English

#ingw/12" Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ashwin Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Seriously, this by far the most moranic post. > > Sir, you need to take L1 first to find out > > yourself whether there is any affirmative > action > > curve. > > Not saying if it is true or not, just > asking…don’t know if it is fair or not, but > I am leaning towards thinking that a little AA > would be fair to compensate for the language > barrier…and to compensate for those that grew > up in poor rual towns…or those that grew up in > inner city schools. This is ridiculous, nobody is forcing you to take this exam, and enforcement of AA would be impossible.

I understand the benefits and necessity of AA to compensate for the obvious drawbacks one faces through no fault of one’s own. But, once the beneficiary of AA achieves certain level of education, offering AA is actually a slap on the face. My first language is not English and I’d feel extremely embarrassed and insulted if I am treated differently (better or worse) than any native speaker here just because my language barrier.

>That’s really not way below average. 800 passers out of 5000-10000 takers, do the math. BTW, CFAI stopped publishing passers’ list in that region after 2009. Care to guess why?

I dont speak english well and barely passed my GED. CFAI gave me the opportunity to realize my dreams. Thank you AA.

so AA - in the manner and nature of this board - is now Alcoholics Anonymous, right!!!

this IS the dumbest thread ever. I would rather participate in a “MBA vs CFA” than if there a “affirmative action for CFA scores thread”.

Truf.com

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > this IS the dumbest thread ever. > > I would rather participate in a “MBA vs CFA” than > if there a “affirmative action for CFA scores > thread”. How about ‘Is schweser enough for passing L3’ debate? That’s my favourite…

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > this IS the dumbest thread ever. > > I would rather participate in a “MBA vs CFA” than > if there a “affirmative action for CFA scores > thread”. I also think it doesn’t make much sense to discuss this. There is no AA, and it shouldn’t be the case either. The MPS should be the same for all.

wait wait… so there ISN’T affirmative action?!? Guess my paragraph in the AM on the experiences of me and my brother Mutumba running through the Mohari Desert went to waste… dang it! That’s 30 mins I could have spent on actually answering questions gone!