Age issues

And sometimes some boys around my age don’t show interests until they “learnt” my real age. But hey, at least they still show interest…lol. So can’t say I m not a cute young lady!

So anyhow now I learnt to mention my age to ppl at right occasions.

^ how old do you look? 50?

no!!!

I’ve already been asked and didn’t get the job. Maybe I should contact my lawyer.

+1

I was just saying it before someone less nice said it to you ha ha I agree 100% with your POV about the starting point in life.

Pics or you are lying :slight_smile:

Pics or you are lying :slight_smile:

This person also floundered in college for a couple of years like Greenman. However, instead of doing something respectable like joining the armed forces, he pursued a career in the music industry. He became semi successful but ended up getting hitched. The lifestyle wasn’t very healthy so settling down became a very good thing. He finished school, got a decent job, and now occasionally posts on AF. And I’m not sure why I’m writing this in third person.

The situation basically happened to me earlier in the year. I didn’t fill out an official application until after the final round of interviews and was told the information would be used for a background check. The official rejection response was that the other candidate had more direct experience.

Now that I’m getting back on the saddle and looking for jobs again, I’ve been wondering if age was a factor in the company’s decision. I know some of you folks are on the other end of the hiring process and wanted to hear your thoughts.

I’m not on the other end of the hiring process, _ so take this for what it’s worth _. But if you’re applying to those “intense” kinds of jobs, then it may be a factor.

Like I said before with respect to Big 4 audit firms - they have a “picture” in their head of what kind of candidate they want. 23 years old, Master’s in Accounting, eligible to take the CPA exam, in the accounting fraternity, did an internship at a Big 4 firm, etc.

Personally, I think the reasons they want somebody like that are: 1.) They can “abuse” a freshly minted grad (14 hour days, can travel, doesn’t want to go home and play with the kids), 2.) They think a 23 year-old will accept lower pay, 3.) It’s an easier sell to their clients.

I think the most important thing to do is to be (relatively) honest. If you have two kids and a wife and don’t want to work 80 hour weeks, then say that. You might not get the job, but in reality, it’s probably a job you didn’t want anyway. But if you are willing to fit their profile, let them know that in the interview. Let them know that you have a really big chip on your shoulder and are willing to work extra extra hard. That might impress them enough that they’re willing to overlook the lost decade.

Accounting frat?

Didn’t you just get a new job at a MM fund? Looking to move again?

^^Yes, every “good” accountant joins Beta Alpha Psi. When I went to school, I was 28, a grad student, and majoring in finance. 3 good reasons to avoid the accounting fraternity.

EDIT - I think that the BAP thing is the elephant in the room. It’s worthless in almost every way, yet everybody does it because they want to feel “included” in the group. Then, 20 years later, they look for somebody else that did it, just because “it’s what we do”. Personally, I think there’s no redeeming value in it at all, other than a conversational piece for people who don’t know each other.

Any and all input is much appreciated even the wisecracks. However, the funnier the better. Yes, I’m a bum and it’s been hacked. But only because I was getting so much tail during my non finance days.

The position was for a buy-side analyst with 5 years of experience, so I don’t think they were looking for an 80 hour per week guy. For my first job in finance, I was upfront with the hiring manager about my age, and it obviously didn’t bother her enough to not hire me. Hopefully, I’ll get to some more final rounds in the interview process to be concerned with this.

@Palatir – This is actually that MM/MF job that I was asking a lot of advice for back in Dec/Jan. I’m still stuck in the Midwest with the same job. It would be awesome if I can get out of here before winter hits.

Most finance people are stick up their ass A type geeks, who are either complete automations or don’t fuck up and destroy their lives with drugs and alcohol until they have achieved some social respectability and are in their mid forties with a family.

By being a complete degenerate and getting it out of the way in your twenties you saved yourself alot of headache and have less wreckage to contend with.

Just wait till ChickenTikka and Itera get out of rehab in their forties, you’ll be laughing then.

LOL. Interesting perspective and very accurate description. Oh, but it was so much fun.

I’m not clear on something - the hiring manager is clearly interested enough to hire you, why would they turn you down with no explanation after you have already been offered a job? If they were truly interested, I’d think they would at least inquire about the gap and what you did…

One thing to note–I don’t know where Spunboy lives. I live in Texas, which is a right to work state, or an “employement at will” state.

In Texas, an employer can fire you (or refuse to hire you) for pretty much any reason they want. In fact, they don’t even have to give you a reason. They can just come in one day and say, “Greenie, you’re fired. Pack your stuff and leave.” No explanation or warnings needed.

^ Right to work only goes so far. They are still bound by EEOC requirements. If a large enough employer hires only white males, they will eventually get sued and lose.

That’s how most companies operate now a days. Pretty much any reason is valid to let you go. If you make 1 mistake in thousands of figures, suddenly you are “lacking attention to detail”. Or if nice, it’ll just be called: restructuring. etc