allright. so im thinking of borrowing 50k from 401k?

Imgur is really just reddit lite. I can’t get imgur at work though, but I can get some of reddit. Or I just use my phone and hope no one sees what I’m watching. (/r/holdthemoan)

how do you reddit. its so hard to navigate. it pops on my google searches every now and then. but its not intutituve to search around so i avoid it.

I think it’s easier to use a mobile device and download one of the apps rather than using the website straight up. I still prefer Alien Blue but others like Bacon Reader or Narwhal too.

Basically, when you go to reddit.com you see the “front page” that has content from all the default subreddits (e.g. r/funny, r/pics, r/gaming and so on) that are more or less SFW. However, that’s just the very, very tip of the iceberg. All the really good content is found in other subreddits. If you start at www.reddit.com/r/all you get a lot more variety and even a few of the more popular NSFW subs. From there, just read the comments and click on other subs people mention. Another way to find good content is if you’re on a sub you like, look at the sidebar and most of the time they’ll recommend other similar subs you may be interested in.

Some subs’ names make no sense so you don’t always get what’s advertised. /r/trees is for marijuana related discussion while /r/marijuanaenthusiasts is for talking about trees. /r/superbowl isn’t about the Super Bowl but superb owls. That’s how reddit works.

I regret that this thread has focused on Reddit and not Nery’s mom, like it was initially intended. Please stay on topic, guys. Tank.

dude how has your mom accumulated that much debt even though she pulls in 150k(?) p.a?

you need to reign in that spending and reduce that debt unless you want an unlimited liability when you’re 45 and have a family of your own to provide for. da fuq

Again they have 400k in 401k and 200k in equity. 500k at 55 is not bad. I’m sure lotta you guys got at least a milli at 40. But keep in mind she had 4 kids and we just moved here 17 years ago. Before that she was making one tenth of what she makes now.

then why don’t they borrow from their 401k?

she borrowed 50k 2 years ago. lol

Nery - go to www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance and see what kind of response you get. Seriously, just make up a throwaway account and post this and link to it here. I think it’d be hysterical.

If you are a millionaire but need more money, you are poor. If you have no money but don’t need any, you are rich.

Was that in a fortune cookie from last night’s dinner?

most these guys are in deep financial trouble.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7370qx/i_have_15_closed_accounts_credit_score_is_400_and/

after reading some of the threads, we can prolly help people out by answering them

do you hang around that place?

Oh god no. That is one hell of a toxic sub. If you mention anything other than passive investments you’ll get downvoted to oblivion. They don’t even believe in financial advisors - for the most part. The answer to pretty much every question is “go to Vanguard and you’ll be fine. Fees are the only thing that matter.”

Occasionally, they do give out some good advice on budgeting, but /r/frugal is better if you want to find ways to save money (though they’re also a bit unhinged).

i posted it btw. lol hopefully it doesnt inspire people to take the charter.

make me reddit famous

I agree with GOAB here. If you’re going to give money to family or friends, best to make it a gift with no expectation of being repaid. Otherwise the relationship will go sour.

Post the link here so we can watch the action unfold.

Edit: found it - https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/737xnb/should_i_borrow_50k_in_my_401k/

This is going to be great.

signs of a bear market: i love it

1. Reduce your risk in the stock market.

You are planning on taking money from a fund that on average makes 7%+ to a risky investment that might get you 10%? There are no guaranteed 10% return investments so you are actually taking more investment risk here. What if the S&P 500 goes up 30% next year? Hell it’s already up 16% over the last year not including dividends.

true. but i i think lending money is a great way to test a person’s character. when they pay you? how they pay you? whether they are grateful?

i mean if you know the person is a pos, you wouldnt lend, and if you lent money and they dont pay you back, then you know not to trust the person with larger things.

That’s not a good thing. If your mom or brother is a POS that doesn’t pay you, you still have to deal with them in the future. It’s better that you never find out. The price discovery is useful for people you can actually ditch, but not for people who you have unbreakable attachments to.

I upvoted your Reddit thread