Am i crazy to want to sit in III exam while nursing a 6 months old?

You guys are amazeballs, thanks for all the great advice! From what I gathered above, now is better than 0-1, and 0-1 is better than 2+ as the little humans need more interaction as they grow older.

Guess if I want to do it then I need to take a crack at it in the next four months, did you guys all study on your own? Does it help to attend a class with fellow candidates? I read L1 notes and and L2 books, I wonder if the same strategy will still work for L3?

I took Level 1 when my wife was pregnant (I actually almost missed Level 1 because that Friday we thought she was going to have to be induced…and I legit went from the test to the hospital since while I was taking the test she went into labor).

So studying for Level 2 was a challenge because, at least for me, I need quiet time to focus on studying and absorbing material, and a new child is not going to respect that need. I eventually had to put off taking Level 2 for a year because between my job, helping take care of a new child, and helping my wife when she needed help understanding some of her MBA courses, I just flat out didn’t have the cycles to give the material any focus. I think that’s really the challenge of taking a level as a new parent.

Am I crazy working on three jobs while nursing a 6 months old?

There’s no “baby brain”, it’s the sleep deprivation. Start early and aggressively before the baby comes - that will be you’re easiest time to focus. And make sure to have coverage from your husband or others for consistent blocks of time so you can leave to study. I’m planning to go to a boot camp (I’m new to level 3, so can’t say if it’s worthwhile, but I’ve read it is) and I’d think having that block of time to focus would be especially helpful with a new baby. The first 6 months are usually rough with sleep - hope you have a good sleeper! Also, anyone who tells you there not much to do the first 6 months, just wasn’t the person doing it. A new baby is a FT job. Keep us posted and good luck!

Thanks Ms1, what’s a boot camp? Is it like an intense workshop thing?

I’m a dragon spitting fire threatening to bite people’s head off when I don’t get enough sleep :smiling_imp:, so I guess anger management is on top of the list followed by forgetfulness.

Ha forewarned husband, registered for the exam and paid the fee! L3 so it begins let’s hope this adrenaline lasts a bit longer than 2 weeks! I sneakily suspect I will regret my decision next year :grin:

I’m planning to do a Level Up Boot Camp https://www.levelupbootcamps.com/

I’ve read good things from his students on this forum (his former students have been accused on this forum of being a cult-like!). I may also buy his videos, which focus on working through the curriculum itself. I like to mostly self-study, but if I can find a good class and get away from work and home and focus, I find that helpful.

As far as regretting your decision, and as I said in an earlier post, if you fail you would still have learned a lot and be much more ready for the next time. It’s not like taking the exam with a toddler will be easy either. Feel free to reach out over PM for encouragement. There aren’t many women who take these exams (at least not in Phila where I’ve taken my first two) - and probably fewer women with kids - and it’s a totally different thing for the mom than it is for the dad.

I’ve decided to go with LevelUp videos and bootcamp as well. If you have any questions, Marc is great about responding btw.

:grin:I’m in London, lots of girls here in the exam hall.

Being pregnant definitely has its advantage, I remember walking past a exam invigilators’ table during loo break and they have candies (they should have that on every table!), I asked for one (shamelessly) and was not frowned upon :stuck_out_tongue:.

I was completely on my own for L1 and L2 but did a short 8-session course with my local society for L3 (before our second was born). The classes themselves were hit or miss but mostly they forced me to have discipline around prepping for the sections covered. Not sure if it worked or not (we’ll find out 8/28) but it helped focus my studying before #2.

Depends, it seems like you are not from an area/company where mothers take a paid leave after giving birth. Some companies/governments, for example, provide up to 12 months of maternity leave for new mothers.

In this case, I would first assess how well you did for Level 1 and Level 2 and compare it with how much effort you spent to achieve those results. Unfortunately, Level 3 is a whole new game due to essays. On the other hand, happily, Level 3 materials remind me of Level 1 since, again, it was full of concepts and theories unlike Level 2 which was calculation-heavy.

Hello I had to create an account to tell you my story. In June 2017, I sat for level one when I was 4months pregnant (my first pregnancy )and I passed in flying colours. My dad pushed me to enrol for level 2 when I was 7months pregnant and I started studying then and juggled pregnancy, recovery from CS, brain fog, nursing baby with studying and sat for level 2 when my son was 6months and I Aced level 2 June 2018. I had no nanny, I just had hubby help whenever he gets back from work and he also worked on weekends.80% of the time I had my baby on one hand and studied with the other hand because I study better during the day than at evenings or night (when hubby gets back from work)

Recipe for success is determination, good organisational skills,multitasking skills and positive spirit. Also pray about it because I noticed God directed me in studying alot knowing how difficult 2018 level 2 was.

You can do it. I heard level two is the toughest stage and though level 3 essay aspect makes it tough, you can do it if you start early.

I am enrolling for level 3 so please push yourself dear!

First off, congrats for passing level 2 and wishing you and your baby good health!

It is totally possible for you to pass level 3. To be honest though, I think it is not any easier than level 2. You just have to be disciplined and push yourself when you feel like you had enough. You have come this far; kill level 3 and enjoy life with your newborn. Keep your eye on the prize girl!

Thanks 91bigbaby, your story is very encouraging. I’m not very good at studying at night either, I just want to slouch and chill with husband when he’s back from work.

Thanks keroppi3785, yep got the book, started on fixed income :grin:

I think it depends what type of person your baby is going to be. There are babies who just eat and sleep. Mine is not the case. I completed level ii in 2017 when she turned 2, I think I studied over 1000 hours my study having been so inefficient. Waking up 9-10 times a night (because she still does not sleep through the night), or trying to do practice exams while “pretending” that I’m playing with her, jumping up from the table every 3 minutes so start reading the same sentence 100 times, etc.

Still I completed level ii and I registered for level iii right away.

Already in November it was clear I cannot study, so I was a no show this June and lost the registration fee.

Still considering registering for 2019 but I’m not sure.

“at first I thought you were crazy, but now I can see your nuts”

As long as the baby is healthy and you are not working, this is the best time for you to do it. All you have to do is to start NOW. If you did L2 with all the hormonal changes in your body, then you can do it.

By the way, the older your kids are, the more difficult it is to take the exam. Day care, soccer, volleyball, dance recital, sleepover, Bday parties, and the list go on an on.

Congratulations and yes. Once you give birth you will have zero time for studying. Will be tough but go for it now.

:stuck_out_tongue:dogs are so much better aren’t they, all they do is: eat, sleep, poop, play. And they don’t cry, do potty at designated place, don’t talk back, and love you no matter what

Your kiddo will love you just as well, but yeah time management and multitasking will become your gods.