Am I doomed?

i dont mean to sound so brash but you could be just as good as the next person yet they might not hire you for various reasons. Just keep your head up, do take mock interviews (they are really helpful trust me) and I’m sure you’ll land something interesting.

LICandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yep that’s what I’m gonna do jalmy. > > I have 4 new interviews for the next two weeks. > I’m just gonna keep sending out the apps. If you have interviews lining up, why worry? Just keep playing the numbers game and eventually you will get an offer.

LICandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yep that’s what I’m gonna do jalmy. > > I have 4 new interviews for the next two weeks. > I’m just gonna keep sending out the apps. Did you figure out something that you did wrong? BTW, nobody on the employer side will likely give you objective feedback because of potential litigation concerns. You’re much better off asking a friend or someone with interview competence to coach you. This was pretty much the difference between my performance in getting summer analyst interviews following my junior year (modest results) versus full-time recruiting during my seinor year (considerably better). You probably don’t realize what you’re doing wrong or may not be interviewing as well as you think. Your GPA is also a problem if you’re interviewing for very competitive positions, but if they brought you in for an interview chances are they must have seen something else they liked about you and just hoped that you could sell them via your interview skills (or “skizzles,” as Snoop Dogg would say).

after one has graduated, where is the best place to do mock interviews?

I also agree that, once one has secured an interview, the GPA is not the major issue. It could be a tie-breaker, but is not the major thing. Getting 5 interviews is good, but if the companies in question are interviewing 30 people in the first round and 15 people in the second round, the odds are certainly against you. It IS a numbers game. So, not getting an offer after 5 interviews isn’t shocking, nor does it necessarily indicate a problem with your interviewing skills. The reason I suggested by-passing the on-campus recruiting is that you might find the competition a little less intense. In my experience, the class hotshots (GPA > 3.8, often in an engineering discipline) all got 20 offers that they sat on, while we lesser stars had a harder time getting interviews (at Goldman, Bain, etc.). Even the freaking Gap rejected me (thank God, in retrospect). The Gap’s interviewers were a bunch of flighty women, and I didn’t even get a call - just a form letter two months later. I went to a few “Super Saturdays” in NYC (my school was on the West Coast, so each of these was a time-consuming endeavor). At one, in particular, I found that I was one of 20 candidates at the Super Saturday, and they were only taking 2 of us. 5 of us were from my school and the other 15 were from Wharton (undergrad). This was after 2 on/near-campus interviews. I was not one of the 2 selected, but had to get an extension on a major term paper to attend. I hated that employer - talk about getting jerked around. Also, I graduated in 2001 when the market tanked out. I was in 3rd round interviews with a couple of companies when they decided they wouldn’t be hiring and dropped all of us. Randall, I’m a fixed income analyst. And I’m not in NYC.

Man, I haven’t interviewed since about 7 months out of school. I used to be great at it (especially when a lady would get the pleasure), nowadays who knows. Grunt, You in Cali? If so, what the h are you doing posting at 6am… What kind of FI do you do? I’m in credit as well Shoot me an email if you want, randallcfa@hotmail.com

RAwannabeCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I’m not saying anyone should give up but if I were > graduating from undergrad now I definately > wouldn’t put all my eggs in the finance basket. > One of our interns buddies did that and after > about 12 failed interviews and 6 months out of > work after graduation he is apparently working as > a personal banker at Bank of America. Once you > have one of those jobs on your resume…good luck. ok, i know this is an old post, but why exactly is the pb designation a job-killer? not looking for sexy I-banking jobs here, just reasonably interesting analyst work.

sternwolf Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have a fuzzy feeling in my stomach. RaCFA, how > much does maintaining an investment blog help? > I’m pretty worried about this too, even though I > am from a good school but with a modest ER part > time stint. Many of the people trying to get into > ER have two years of part time experience in > finance. > > Personally, I’m using the CPA as backup if I fail > to get into front office finance. Then figure out > how to get back in later… > > I’m guessing that you’re not in New york city, > right? Where is your blog, sternwolf?

nothing hurts more than going thru several rounds of itnerviews and have the final person (in my case, the MD) not like you…