Am I Saving Too Much For Retirement?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What $100k car was this? Please don’t say Dodge > Viper. Tell us about the car dude… And agreed, hope not viper.

As somewhat previously stated, you can also use your 401k for a first time home purchase. So to answer your question, no, you are not saving too much. Nice work.

Sweep the Leg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > As somewhat previously stated, you can also use > your 401k for a first time home purchase. > > So to answer your question, no, you are not saving > too much. Nice work. It is very hard to use your 401K for a first time home purchase because the IRS only allows withdrawals from a 401K due to personal hardship. Possible, but hard. The IRA, on the other hand, is a different story. You can use those monies for a first time home purchase without having a personal hardship.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > What $100k car was this? Please don’t say Dodge > > Viper. > > > Tell us about the car dude… And agreed, hope > not viper. Dudes, the Viper is the most perennially underrated car ever produced. I get annoyed at all the feaux car enthusiasts out there that rip on it saying it’s “unrefined, can’t handle, can’t brake”, etc. Yes, those were all very true in the 90’s, get up to date. In Aug 2008, when the GTR came out, Car and Driver put the GTR, Z06, Viper, and Porsche GT2 against each other. Guess who won EVERY SINGLE performance category, yet ranked 3rd overall due to politicized writer bias to sell copies, while the rice burner GTR won due to high scores in overweighted categories such as “driver comfort, ergonomics, rear seat space, trunk space, and features / amenities”. What, are we testing sports super cars or touring sedans here? Links to performance tables and article below… http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/20ac7079f5ed885a7922aad57f5c8ff7.pdf http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/99be562deaf1fc9332933f2b766b93c1.pdf http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/08q3/chevy_corvette_z06_vs._dodge_viper_srt10_acr_nissan_gt-r_porsche_911_gt2-comparison_tests

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ohai Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > What $100k car was this? Please don’t say > Dodge > > > Viper. > > > > > > Tell us about the car dude… And agreed, hope > > not viper. > > > Dudes, the Viper is the most perennially > underrated car ever produced. I get annoyed at > all the feaux car enthusiasts out there that rip > on it saying it’s “unrefined, can’t handle, can’t > brake”, etc. Yes, those were all very true in the > 90’s, get up to date. In Aug 2008, when the GTR > came out, Car and Driver put the GTR, Z06, Viper, > and Porsche GT2 against each other. Guess who won > EVERY SINGLE performance category, yet ranked 3rd > overall due to politicized writer bias to sell > copies, while the rice burner GTR won due to high > scores in overweighted categories such as “driver > comfort, ergonomics, rear seat space, trunk space, > and features / amenities”. What, are we testing > sports super cars or touring sedans here? > > > Links to performance tables and article below… > > > http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storag > e/original/application/20ac7079f5ed885a7922aad57f5 > c8ff7.pdf > > http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storag > e/original/application/99be562deaf1fc9332933f2b766 > b93c1.pdf > > > http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/08 > q3/chevy_corvette_z06_vs._dodge_viper_srt10_acr_ni > ssan_gt-r_porsche_911_gt2-comparison_tests I just don’t think it’s the coolest car you can buy for 100k… And there is no ‘e’ in ‘faux’ when conversing in english - I’m not the grammar police but at least spell things correctly when trying to insult someone or insinuate they lack knowledge on a topic you think you do.

Just to highlight the data from the performance tables: Skidpad: Z06, 1.03 Porsche GT2, 0.98 GTR, 0.96 Viper ACR, 1.08 Braking (70-0, ft): Z06, 159 Porsche GT2, 155 GTR, 155 Viper ACR, 149 And predictably, the viper took first in acceleration tests with 11.8 second quarter and 3.4 second 0-60

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just don’t think it’s the coolest car you can > buy for 100k… And there is no ‘e’ in ‘faux’ > when conversing in english - I’m not the grammar > police but at least spell things correctly when > trying to insult someone or insinuate they lack > knowledge on a topic you think you do. The fact that I misspelled faux, does not change your lack of car knowledge

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > AndyPettitteIsGreat Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > CFAcountry Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > I thought I’m not allowed to withdraw from the > > ROTH IRA until I am 59. Otherwise I pay a 10% > > penalty on whatever I withdraw… > > > i’m pretty sure you can still use the balance as > collateral to secure a loan/mtge > > get a place with a pool/hot tub Nope. You are not allowed to use the balance as an asset to secure a loan. There may be complex legal structures that get around the law, but banks are not allowed to do this ordinarily. You can withdraw the original principal of your Roth, because these were deposited on an after-tax basis. You do get taxes and penalties on amounts above the principal. I seem to recall that certain expenses can be taken out of a Roth as well, including college expenses for a child or a down payment on a first house. I forget exactly which ones, but you should check if you need it. You will have to pay taxes on any Roth proceeds that are larger than the original principal contributed, but there are no penalties on top of it. In general, you can’t save too much for retirement, unless it , means that you can’t survive and must subsist on cat food in the present. Be aware that you will have expenses coming up in the future (you may want to buy a house, treat a spouse well, have a child, etc), but presumably you will be able to fund some of that out of current income.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just to highlight the data from the performance > tables: > > Skidpad: > Z06, 1.03 > Porsche GT2, 0.98 > GTR, 0.96 > Viper ACR, 1.08 > > Braking (70-0, ft): > Z06, 159 > Porsche GT2, 155 > GTR, 155 > Viper ACR, 149 > > And predictably, the viper took first in > acceleration tests with 11.8 second quarter and > 3.4 second 0-60 You just won the non-existent argument that the Viper is the best performing vehicle among those tested. Way to go dude.

Then please enlighten me why you would single the car out with such a negative stigma despite the fact that it can thrash a $200k GT2 for half the price and actually looks pretty slick. Pic: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?12488-Dodge-Viper-ACR-for-Sale-MSRP

But those performance figures are not relevant to anyone other than race car drivers. If you push the limits of a 500 hp car on normal roads, you will die. So, those other factors that you mentioned are more important than absolute performance numbers. And let’s not fool ourselves. If you buy luxury sports cars, it’s mostly for the image, which is subjective. However, most people have a consensus as to what constitutes good or bad taste for most things. If I come to work with a pink mohawk and a nose ring, that is bad taste. There’s no real reason that it’s bad taste, but it just is. So to answer your question, Dodge Viper is just one of those unstylish things. It is not stylish to most people, and style is an important factor in sports car purchases.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Then please enlighten me why you would single the > car out with such a negative stigma despite the > fact that it can thrash a $200k GT2 for half the > price and actually looks pretty slick. > > Pic: > > http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?1 > 2488-Dodge-Viper-ACR-for-Sale-MSRP The same reason I didn’t marry an 8 - because I like things that I find sexy. Not too say I haven’t driven more than my fair share of 8’s, and that I would certainly abuse a Viper, but it’s simply not what I’d buy, and I was agreeing with Ohai. ETA: BTW, that viper is sweet, a solid 9. Additionally, if I were to have one car, it wouldn’t be a true sports car (as I consider the Viper to be).

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > I just don’t think it’s the coolest car you can > > buy for 100k… And there is no ‘e’ in ‘faux’ > > when conversing in english - I’m not the > grammar > > police but at least spell things correctly when > > trying to insult someone or insinuate they lack > > knowledge on a topic you think you do. > > > The fact that I misspelled faux, does not change > your lack of car knowledge What did I state that was incorrect? When did I proclaim to be a car expert? What do you drive, car god?

I’m still poor (mid 20’s) and the car I have is definitely not stylish, all I’ll say is this: My current non-daily driver: Year: 2000 Motor: V8, aluminum block, naturally aspirated HP: ~425 via boltons, not stock Best track 1/4: 12.8 RWD, posi-traction Transmission, Tremec T56 That should narrow it down to about 4 Also somewhat less relevant, my younger brother sold his '03 Cobra like 3 years ago. That thing had pulleys, headers and a few other boltons, dyno’d at 580 RWHP (roughly 680 estimate at flywheel) that was hella fast and ran him roughly $25k all in, sold it for the same.

haha you people totally hijacked his thread…

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > But those performance figures are not relevant to > anyone other than race car drivers. If you push > the limits of a 500 hp car on normal roads, you > will die. So, those other factors that you > mentioned are more important than absolute > performance numbers. > > And let’s not fool ourselves. If you buy luxury > sports cars, it’s mostly for the image, which is > subjective. However, most people have a consensus > as to what constitutes good or bad taste for most > things. If I come to work with a pink mohawk and a > nose ring, that is bad taste. There’s no real > reason that it’s bad taste, but it just is. > > So to answer your question, Dodge Viper is just > one of those unstylish things. It is not stylish > to most people, and style is an important factor > in sports car purchases. Fair enough, but I still think that ACR in the pic (that’s stock configuration) is pretty slick anywhere. And super high performance can help you avoid an accident just as much as it can help get you in one. I used to drive an '05 Yamaha R1 as my motorcycle and ever since I’ve had trouble justifying driving cruisers from a safety perspective. While sports bikes tend to attract reckless drivers, driven properly cruising bikes can’t outbreak most cars, super bikes like the R1 will outbreak anything, out turn most things and adequately accelerate should it be a necessity.

i got the audi a5 (white), but wish had an audi r8.

arbitageur Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i got the audi a5 (white), but wish had an audi > r8. Did you buy two??? Even an S5 is only like 60. Do you mean A8 (or S8)? I’m more confused now than when Swan was arguing with himself…

Maybe he is in a different country, so it’s 100k of some other currency?

When you said 100k car, did you mean rupees?