An unusual career path/history.

atush is right. in addition to the difficulty in getting into the most highly desired finance jobs like everyone else trying to break in. THe added barrier of needing a visa is actually a really substantial barrier. back in my younger days, i’ve met many people who went to my school, a top finance program, and couldn’t find jobs directly bec of the visa problem.

the big banks are more willing to sponsor, but small firms? forgt it… which means your best odds are basically limted to getting into a top program where big firms will go there to recruit

This is funny because I am going to perform the opposite of what you are doing. So basically I am in Canada, have a BA in Economics (which I dunno… is prolly shit) and L1 CFA (which is shit) but I want to exit and live in Czech so I will applying for MBA there.

Visas are indeed a massive barrier to work. No company gives a f*** about sponsoring anyone, especially if their qualifications are low and ordinary. The only companies I’m away of that sponsor people from other countries are IT companies. I know plenty of people that moved from Toronto to Seattle because IT is in high demand and Seattle company was more than glad to sponsor their visa. It won’t happen for you or me.

The best way to exit a country is to study abroad. For me, for instance, all I need is a study visa or a residence permit. Once it expires I apply for an extension. Once I graduate, I apply to jobs and apply for a working visa. After 5 years, I can apply for residence.

The best way to get finance employment is to collect the basics: Finance related undergrad, CFA completed, MBA, relevant experience. Don’t hope to be cracking too much dough too early. It’s highly cut throat out there and in Toronto, I know MBAs are working for free.

Your education isn’t the worst in the world, just that do not get any more experience in irrelevant fields. You will need to get experience related to finance. Start with menial stuff like financial data entry, or FX sales, or other stuff like that. Honestly, the NGO…is… well how is it relevant? If you did financial stuff for it than ok. I had a freind that did a student program taking him to Africa to help the impoverished but he did accounting stuff, which helped him land a job in Canada. In my opinion, if it’s not relevant, don’t put it on. Employers look at the background… it’s very important.