Andrew Yang

lol. well we just have to disagree. taxation is just a minor blip kind of like this trade war to china gdp.

china in bear market territory though. 2018 peak at 3600 and all time peak at 6100. prolly a good time to buy over there, not really sure how far yall reall dip. how’s sentiment over there and valuations?

to be fair commodities and other emerging getting killed too. and us keeps rising. all very odd.

yo pa is the china in financial trouble just more fake news or real deal?

Math isn’t opinion.

The checkmate is that EVEN if you could get a 10% revenue increase passed (you can’t), and hold it for 20yrs (would never happen), to pay for the boomer retirement without default—during this time of flat-to-down GDP, the US would get outcompeted by CN. By the time they emerged from their shell in 2038 CN would rule the world. The USG already thought this thru, and realized they have no option but to continue forward, spending like crazy, until collapse.

This relates to what they are trying to pull with China right now. Your beloved gov programs at work. :bulb:

math is fact. but the assumptions we use is a matter of opinion. you are using assumptions that is beyond historical precedence at least for the us. higher taxes will not cause a precipitous continuous drop in gdp . at the most id say its going to be less than 5% drop from peak. then its back to rising continuously and it’ll hit the peak again in a couple years. even if we assume a 10% drop in gdp due to taxes and a flat gdp to perpetuity, the amount we generate can easily exceed what we need.

18 trillion (90%) = 16.2 trillion at a 10% additional tax rate is 1.62 trillion. more than enough to cover rise of social security for baby boomers. gdp info below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+gdp&oq=us+gdp&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59j0l4.1320j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

^ Cmon kid. It’s never going to happen, the US would have already done it by now, but they can’t/won’t.

They are going to go full steam, UBI and more stupidity, until default. We all know that.

Im late to this conversation but finally got around to listening to this guy on a podcast.

I will start by saying I went into this with a strong bias against UBI. That, combined with Yang giving me the impressing that he is a actor playing the role of a politician (and he’s over acting!), made me really not want to go along with this. However the scare tactics of what is to come when jobs disappear at accelerating rates did break though to my reasonable side. He has a point. The rationalization that “new jobs will be created…just like after the industrial revolution!” is a lazy one. I let myself consider UBI as a possible part of a solution.

I’m with most some of you guys thinking that simply distributing $1000/ month to everyone does not do much to stimulate productivity or even encourage people to find ways to add value in their lives (as he claims it would) The point was brought up that if some guy is living in his parents basement playing video games… how is $1000 of free money going to motivate him to be more productive. Yang sloppily made argument that it would based on no logic I could pick up on! SMH. Then I thought, what difference does it make? This guy was doing a robots job before he was laid off and living in a basement. I would not say he was “productive” in the first place. He was not a motivated dude before… and he still is not. It is not the governments’ role to help people find meaning and purpose. This guy’s main contribution to society before was that he was a consumer… and now he is still that. If, honestly, this freedom dividend is just to keep our society from panicking I think it would be successful at that and it might even be worth it. for that alone. Don’t pump it up as anything else.

However, his idea could potentially do better than this. In the podcast Yang mentioned an additional idea where there was some sort of made up currency/ voucher system to earn your dividend through doing volunteer type stuff for the community. I like this much better. Yang suggest it in addition to the $1000 a month. I would like to see JUST the voucher system being employed… but then again he is a politician and he is not going to win votes by saying people only get their money if they go hang out with the elderly every week or whatnot.

Another concern I have is that the issue of massive loss of employment is not eminent enough to just start handing out money. When would something like this come into play? Maybe it would be a gradual implementation as more and more automation is actually in the economy. He is talking like all truckers, workers in transportation and food prep workers will be replaced in the next 5 years! It seems like by the time we actually need this idea he would be out of office anyway :confused:

All this AI talk and nothing is happening. The F U C K I N G media loves to scare people of some robots taking over jobs or creating huge inequality while Advancements is AI (vision and NLP ) are small at best. The only reason their has been advancements is the fall of gpu prices and how they can be stacked against each other providing computing power. This huge computing power and massive data has led to some advancements but that’s it. In 20 years it’s highly unlikely that we’d have self driving cars (maybe in mines or controlled spaces being an exception) or anything that would be considered “AI” . It’s just not theoretically possible with the current state of things.

Uhm self driving tech is already here. From what I hear, it’ll be available to mainstream in a couple years. The laws need to catch up to the tech.

It doesn’t even have to be 1000 month. Just enough so they don’t stink and don’t beg for money. Theoretically if we do this then perhaps private enterprise will cater to the homeless or poor. At the end of the day, if you give idiots money, it’ll end up with the smarter people sooner or later anyways. Ubi just sets a baseline of income people can spend. The idea is that even rich people and middle class receive this baseline as well. Anything above it will be merit based.

The issue with self-driving cars is not the laws. It’s the technology. The fact that Google/Uber can make a car drive itself under some predefinedd conditions and constant human supervision doesn’t mean they are here or will be any time soon.

I agree. The only reason I entertain this notion is that it is _ caped _ at poverty level income. Competition and merit are not threatened under this scheme.

This said… the ONLY way I would be ok with the VAT needed to pay for the UBI is under the pretense that automation has actually taken over to an extreme point. Having corporations profit, but have next to no workers to compensate would be the only scenario where I would find the tax ethical.

It goes without saying, that is a scenario that is far off. I have no problem giving Yang credit for the solution he has presented at some distant future time when it is applicable, but as for voting for him in the near term… nahh :-1:

ok here are some sources:

https://www.techemergence.com/self-driving-car-timeline-themselves-top-11-automakers/

• Level 3 automation still requires a human driver, but the human is able to put some “safety-critical functions” to the vehicle, under certain traffic or environmental conditions. This poses some potential dangers as humans pass the major tasks of driving to or from the car itself, which is why some car companies (Ford included) are interested in jumping directly to level 4
  • Level 4 automation is a car that can drive itself almost all the time without any human input, but might be programmed not to drive in unmapped areas or during severe weather. This is a car you could sleep in.
  • Level 5 automation means full automation in all conditions

Ford Motor CEO Mark Fields told CNBC that Ford plans to have a “Level 4 vehicle in 2021, no gas pedal, no steering wheel, and the passenger will never need to take control of the vehicle in a predefined area.” Ford actually plans to skip right over Level 3 automation and go straight to Level 4. In their testing Ford’s Chief Technology Officer Raj Nair, found that level 3 automation wouldlead to their engineers dozing off and not being situationally ready to take over when called on. Ford CEO Mark Fields claims that they will have cars with no gas pedal and no steering wheel driving people around in certain cities by 2021.

Gill Pratt, the CEO of the Toyota Research Institute,believes “none of us in the automobile or IT industries are close to achieving true Level 5 autonomy, we are not even close.” He does, though, believe that it is very likely a number of companies will within a decade have Level 4 cars operating in specific areas, which would be very useful to ride-sharing companies.

Daimler also announced this month a high profile development agreement with Bosch, one of the largest parts suppliers. The goal is to bring both level 4 and level 5 autonomous vehicles to urban “by the beginning of the next decade.”

Elmar Frickenstein, BMW’s senior vice president for autonomous driving, said that they should have Level 3 cars by that deadline but it is possible they could even deliver cars withLevel 4 or 5 capacity in 2021. Whether that capacity would be implemented depends on regulatory and infrastructure concerns.

Tesla cars already have enhanced autopilot, but in January Elon Musk said on Twitter that Tesla’s “full self-driving capability” will start noticeably departing from mere autopilot within3-6 months. Musk has predicted that by the end of this year a Telsa will be able to drive from Los Angeles to New York City without a human touching the wheel.

All fake news

This is what dividends were supposed to be, workers got shares, and then after they no longer worked they still got paid. But now the shares have concentrated (due to corporations having unfair legal advantages, and workers having near zero power, the root problem which goes unaddressed).

What corporations keep trying to do, is after having capturing all the wealth, getting life-support payments to come from government. But what I keep saying (and it gets very old), is that the payments have to come from the corporations/wealthy, as they have all the wealth (some tax scheme only works if it does that, which of course it won’t as it will be authored by corporations in DC).

And again, these redistribution schemes do not address the root problem, and so wealth would only concentrate again.