Any mountaineers?

I was looking at your entire program … Kilimanjaro, Aconcagua, marathon + Nepal taking you all the way up to May.

How did the hike go?

Hey! I had a blast. It wasn’t very difficult. In fact it was downright easy. Up around 5,500 meters I started to have a little trouble going fast, but otherwise I cruised right up. Summit Day only took me 3.5 hours to summit.

Still, the trip was awesome. Highly recommend it to anyone, even if you’re not looking to be serious about climbing or hiking.

Oh, and I even thought of a clever way to say hello to all you guys. Check out the Nalgene bottle in the photo. Analyst Forum love right there, homies! Love me some AF points.

Photo didn’t come through, but it might just be my work blocking it. I’ll check it at home. Glad it was fun.

There’s no nudity or anything like that. Totally safe for work.

So now, I’ve got the marathon next.

Strongly contemplating Alconcagua in February. This would be a huge step up. It’s supposed to be twice as hard as Kili. Way shittier weather. 1000 meters taller. Far from the equator. Expedition is four times as long as Kili.

I think you will find climbing Kilimanjaro pretty pale compared to Ethiopian Airlines…

[/quote]

No shit. I was on a completely full flight last night in Cattle Class back to Mumbai. You can’t even imagine. Oh, and it was a brand new Dreamliner, which apparently have fuel leaks.

Congrats - well done. BTW, you look a lot different than your AF pic.

Is that the summit? It was ice-capped when I saw it from the air some years back (pointed out by the pilot during a Dar Es Salaam - Nairobi flight). What is the ice-capped mountain in the background - the other side of the crater?

After a pretty crappy day all around, this picture made me smile. Well done.

Yes that’s the summit. The snow in the back ground is one of the many glaciers on the mountain and on another part of the rim of the volcano. There is no snow in the crater really, mostly along the edge of the mountain. According to my guide they are shrinking.

What an unfortunate incident. He was an experienced climber too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20896985

I’d be curious to know more about this.

It is ironic that someone who climbed everest with all its numerous dangers would die on Kili being struck by lightening - but from my own experience I can say that I am not terribly surprised.

When I climbed it there was lightening frequently in the afternoons. My guide company never said much about it, but I certainly always noticed it. It could be very loud as it vibrated off the hills. I usually tried to get to camp before noon so that I could avoid the rain, but also to get shelter from the lightening.

Kili has something like 30k people climb it per year and around 10 fatalities With that many people just about anything can happen to anybody.

Last week, I was very lucky to have summited Aconcagua, 6962 Meters (22,842 feet) , the tallest mountain in the world (outside of Asia). Also, very proud to represent Hindustan. Those colors look great!

I have decided that I don’t have time for CFA and Tibet this spring. So, I’m relucatantly choosing CFA. My next climb will be Denali in June. After that Elbrus in July. Planning on going for the Big E spring 2014 assuming B-school lets me.