Any one down for drinks Friday evening in NYC?

Mexican grandma is in all of us, and all of us are in all of her.

I wouldn’t mind meeting KMD. Potentially prove the population of women on AF is n > 1. The divier the bar the better.

Will Sam Harris’s convo be released on his podcast?

Im not sure. He did some other events in this series with Eric Weinstein and those have not been posted yet (and I am a subscriber so I see everything) This is the last one… so we will see.

Is it happening today?

Yes… beacon theater… but its sold out

I’m already here pounding shots. Where is everyone?

come over to WFC

Hope you guys got a group pic. Then we can start working on sponsorship dollars. Once people know about our analyst club, we can eventually start pushing wine sales.

Nobody showed up. Got wasted in PJ Clarks myself

NYC meetup = EPIC. Missed my 2am bus, took the 4am bus home in a snow storm.

Wow I don’t visit AF for weeks and then come back on only to miss this by one day.

Someone has to count the muni interest while the kids play

I had originally purchased a meet and greet ticket to the event because I has this fantasy where all the people who got one would hang out in some room with free wine and all talk about the show and have a nice time with the other guests, Harris, and Kahneman…get photos and autographs. Then when I saw they literally just line us up in the theater like cattle and so we could get a quick photo with Harris only (not even Kahmeman!) and then “stick around for questions”, I was like “no”. Harris just looked like he did not want to be there at all. I don’t blame him and I just left…lol.

Now I go and look at the photos and I am not sad I missed it! Lolololol…look at his face! In every photo!

bit.ly/EIC-photos

I never understood why people want pictures with celebrities. When I’ve introduced myself to celebrities before just to say hi, they immediately assume I want a picture lol

The event is now posted on Sam Harris’s site!

In another thread I posted about how I did not really enjoy the conversation live and did not find the subject matter interesting. It’s funny, I just listened to it again on my long drive though Amish country late at night coming from my mom’s house (a favorite mode of solitude for me) and I found it to be VERY enjoyable. I even was able to take some of what was said and use it to patch up things I have been conflicted about lately which was great! If there is a case to me made for introversion, this is it. I just find the presence of people to form like a subconscious static that is not present when I am alone. Not to say I don’t have fun with people…it is just that there are some experiences that can only be maximized in solitude for me.

The whole intellectual dark web is becoming a huge shit show.These “intellectuals” are getting paid to debate each other and form opinions. All their ideas are formed by how well they sell and thus rendering the whole thing useless.

The whole thing is turning to be a professional wresting of some sort for the upper middle class masses.

Agree, FT covered it well below. But once people start groveling for likes and focusing on “their base” or winning and losing like a scorecard, the whole thing goes to sh*t. Most of these people were only ok to begin with because the other options for discourse were so terrible.

https://www.ft.com/content/0380eb28-1c17-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6 The speakers’ circuit is where original thinkers go to die ‘The best business nowadays is selling to the 1 per cent. A caste of pundits has accordingly arisen to supply them with thoughts’

You guys are over generalizing the “IDW”. First, they are getting paid to talk about the opinions they have, not paid to have certain opinions. Big difference. Second, you can’t compare what Joe Rogan is doing to what Steven Pinker is doing. Rogan works his ass off to encourage open discussion and provide a platform safe for any point of view. Pinker seem to be doing more of what you two describe, that is sell books, get likes bases on an optimism people want to hear.

A good heuristic for me is how into calling themselves the IDW they are. The more they identify with that, the more they seem to pander