Anybody over 50 years old candidate for CFA ?

I can honestly say that when I wrote L1 in December the average age in my test center was *much* higher than I expected.

Hi struggling, what an accomplishment ! Great post. A good example of perseverance. At some times, when my studying seems too difficult, I will rely on your experience. It already gave me a boost.

Hi unknownub, Iā€™m really swamped by your age (17 years old). You are gifted. If you go through the CFA, you have a great career in front of you. Best of lucks !

Hi doubleW, Level II seems like a big hurdle. Iā€™m already struggling through Level 1. Let us know when youā€™ll pass - I sincerely hope this will happen. This will be a great inspiration for all those young candidates.

Lady Snowflake from Quebec, Canada

Your efforts are commendable. At 24, I ā€œdropped outā€ of graduate school with a MS in Applied Economics. The PhD route looked pretty daunting and I was looking forward to earning a living wage and settling down with my long-time girlfriend. Now that I know how the real world works, I should have remained in the sheltered confines of academia. Luckily, the CFA curriculum provides a healthy outlet for me. Iā€™d still like to pursue teaching as an encore career. Best of luck to you in your pursuit of the CFA charter.

Iā€™m not going to bore everyone with my story but suffice it to say there ARE those of us out there well past ā€œgrad studentā€ age trying to achieve the CFA designation. Age is not on my side, but like one of the above posters said studying technical material and passing difficult tests is not a new task for some of us!! Best of luck to all esp LadySnowflake who started the thread (would welcome the opportunity to chat with you via email, Lady!!)

Hello LadySnowFlake

I recently came across this posting and was truly inspired. I am 40years candidate sitting the level 3 next month. Many times I have considered about giving up on the CFA due to work and family committments, I was having one of those moments when I came across this chain. I took up the CFA for the learning, but would also welcome an opportunity to apply some of that knowledge. I worked all my career in investment banking operations and at my age opportunities to transition into more investment focused roles are quite limited.

However, I intend to keep pushing on. What is your CFA experience since 2013?

1 Like

Years ago there was a question written to Dear Abby by someone who was considering going to medical school and saying, for example, that after 10 years of school, internship, and residency he would be, say, 45 years old, and wondered if he should even attempt it.

Her response was classic: ā€œAnd how old will you be in 10 years if you donā€™t go to medical school?ā€

Bon chance, LadySnowFlake!

I am 50 and taking Level 3 this year. I have had a love/hate relationship with the whole process. I passed Level 1 in 2013 and Level 2 in 2014. I loved kick starting my brain but I hate that I canā€™t enjoy other things I do without the cloud of ā€œI should be studyingā€ hanging over my head.

Not sure I will retake Level 3 if I donā€™t pass as I kind of want my life back.

1 Like

I feel for youā€¦ love the challenge hate the pressure and yes ā€¦would like a life again

58? Wow, wish my parents was this motivated, all they do is play mahjong.

Iā€™m not yet 50, but 43 year old compliance officer here, working at an investment advisor firm. This is my third career actually.

I may be old, but I actually have a weird commonality with the young folk. I moved back in with my parents last year. I live in my old bedroom. I study constantly. The only difference between now and when I was a teenager is i donā€™t have to ask mom and dad for money; in fact, these days I need to support them. I wish I had money like this when I was younger.

I donā€™t think my brainpower has diminished much if at all, but then I never was all that great a student anyway. i always had to work twice as hard as everyone else and I expect to continue to do that for this test. I also expect to fail at least once.

1 Like