Anybody wrote the exam already?

I thought it was definitely more difficult than Uppermark and the mock. They also seem to be going towards the CFA route, where they purposely try to trick and throw you off (especially Ethics).

1 Like

Ok, this suks, I thought this thing is suppose to be plain vanilla. Well, this what I get for being under prepared plus starting late. I’m still only making 70% on the Uppermark q-bank. Doesn’t look good if the actual exam is much harder. I have done >70% on both the CFA L1 & L2 in Ethics so lets hope my ethical values are still intact…haha It would really suks to have to do everything twice but am glad the CAIA is moving into the CFA direction to add value b/c I have learned a lot about investment/trading strategies which I didn’t get from the CFA yet [still being a L2 - two timer]. I’ll post my reaction on things after the exam tomorrow. Thanks y’all [yes I said y’all] LOL

1 Like

One more thing, these questions with “identify the formula” is a pain, is it worth dealing with? I miss them all the time.

1 Like

I took it yesterday and I thought it was a lot harder than schweser. Like the above said you could eliminate 2 of the answers but the last two a lot of the times were a toss up. I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t pass. I feel I have a better chance than not of passing but it wouldn’t suprise me if I don’t make it. It felt a lot like the CFA where they ask questions on some two or three steps past what something is. A lot of questions where all four have this property which one has it the least. Kind of sucked. Also the ethics are a joke might as well just flip a coin on those.

1 Like

I think there were one or two “which formula is correct” questions on my test. Rather than memorizing, I just would walk my way through the formulas and see which one made the most sense. 80% of the time, I was correct (on mocks/testbank questions) so that worked for me.

1 Like

I didn’t feel it was more difficult than UpperMArk Q-bank. I have done all of the questions on Qbank and actual exam was similar in complexity (at least for me). Curve ball was ethics which i didn’t study at all given the 3 year CFA ordeal. But be prepared for lots of questions on different strategies in each asset class and where thez fit in terms of moments of distribution. Also i notice fare amount of due diligence questions 'mazbe because i always found them to be kind of useless subject and never reallz paid much attention to during studz My 2 cents ’ good luck

1 Like

Just wondering, for those who have done the Uppermark QBank simulation tests what’s your score(s) on it?

1 Like

I don’t know who else is reading all these insightful posts here but I truly appreciate the feedback considering I feel very much in the hole. There is not much to really do but having a better expectation helps for mental preparation. The next set of L1 candidates will hopefully find this useful to plan their study strategy. dmitri_nh - I hope you are right and that it is similar to the q-bank, this gives me some hope. Thanks again all for the cents and nickels;)

1 Like

peteus325 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just wondering, for those who have done the > Uppermark QBank simulation tests what’s your > score(s) on it? I bought it on final sale and was in the 40-50% a week a go and now at around 70%. I guess I should have got it from the beginning but thought I could do without since people say it’s straightforward…NOT! hahaha

1 Like

I was initially scoring around 70% on UpperMark mocks but boosted my averages to the mid-to-low 80s. I tended to get half of my “educated guess” (flagged) questions wrong. I got an 86% on the CAIA mock. I never felt great after taking any of these tests so, if anything, I never succombed to overconfidence!

1 Like

Took the exam this morning. There were a lot of most/least/true/false on mine too. The ethics was tricky but not as bad as the CFAL2 ones which are much longer. UpperMark should make their as wordy as these. I thought it was all comparable to the UpperMark q-bank. There was only one question on mine about the “money/sponsor” and some other weird ones. Too many kur/skew questions for sure. I trying to keep my eyes focus since it got so tired of reading the screen and from many days of intense reading. Saw a former co-worker on L2 who said the CAIA tries to pass a lot of people on L1 which was encouraging. I need to go take a nap now…hahaha (you know, old people). I think all these exams have accelerated my age. 2 more weeks for results, hope it’s all good for everybody! Thx-nite-nite, Nephi

1 Like

hi all, i just took the exam today and wanted to give you my feedback about the L1 test. first, i used schweser’s material and relied primarily on their books and secondarily on the caia required readings but now that the caia has their own books, i would probably use those. ethics - tricky. i agree, as tricky as cfa’s ethics questions (but then again i spent the least time on ethics) quant - few calculations. more definitional type questions real estate - some calculations. know how to calculate npv, pv, fv, annual payments hedge funds - not much on regulations but a handful on due diligence. good portion on return distributions credit derivatives - understand clo’s / cdo’s overall it wasn’t too bad although i was unsure of a dozen or so questions but was able to use POE to two answer choices. i think i used my calculator 5 - 10% of the test and felt a good portion of test you either knew or didn’t (the more definitional type questions). hope to “see” you all in the level II forum in a few months!

1 Like

hi all, i just took the exam today and wanted to give you my feedback about the L1 test. first, i used schweser’s material and relied primarily on their books and secondarily on the caia required readings but now that the caia has their own books, i would probably use those. ethics - tricky. i agree, as tricky as cfa’s ethics questions (but then again i spent the least time on ethics) quant - few calculations. more definitional type questions real estate - some calculations. know how to calculate npv, pv, fv, annual payments hedge funds - not much on regulations but a handful on due diligence. good portion on return distributions credit derivatives - understand clo’s / cdo’s overall it wasn’t too bad although i was unsure of a dozen or so questions but was able to use POE to two answer choices. i think i used my calculator 5 - 10% of the test and felt a good portion of test you either knew or didn’t (the more definitional type questions). hope to “see” you all in the level II forum in a few months!

1 Like

How did you guys do? I just took level 2 and have materials if anyone’s interested.

1 Like

I just wrote exam 2. I have materials if anyone is interested.

1 Like