Anyone getting hired in this economy?

Are the CFAI listings right off of the cfainstitute website? Never realized they were there!

Yeah, you can go straight to the CFAI website, which seems to pull jobs from all of the individual city joblines. I have subscriptions to two of the individual city CFA job lines, and also the main jobline on the CFAI website and there was overlap. The good thing about the main website it is that it costs less for that all encompassing subscription than it would to go to individual city CFA job lines.

Curious if anyone will be attending the 2nd Annual Investing in Your Career in Boston on September 23rd. Also did anyone here attend last year and if so can you comment on if this event is worthwhile. I live about 3 hours outside of Boston but am trying to find any entry-level position in the city and want to know if this would be a useful tool to finding a job or if I should just keep trying to use CFAI Jobline.

bromion, where do you pull the individual city job lines?

salvaNJ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bromion, where do you pull the individual city job > lines? do a google search for CFA + city name (CFA New York for example) and get to the CFA society website for that city. all of the ones I have seen have job lines on them. you can sign up and pay for the individual job lines that way.

I had a headhunter call me today about a job, but it sounded lame

l2djae Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks for your input, guys. > > Strangedays, can I ask how you attained your > interview with an IB? Did you apply online, a > referral or another method? Through a recruiter. I know it is unbelievable, but sometimes recruiters are also useful! However, it is very competitive, I am fighting against an associate director who got laid off somehere else! Anyway, I still havent lost the battle and I think my first round was good! I will keep you updated!

Took a job as an ibanking associate at a small but highly reputable firm. Graduated from MBA program this past May. Wanted something in either equity research or ibanking. Did everything imaginable. Was told numerous times it would be impossible to land something. School career services (ehhh) headhunters (worst people ever) job boards (somewhat helpful) networking (most helpful by far) In the end, it was through networking that I landed the gig. Took 3 months of full-time searching post MBA to land the job. Sent at least informational interview 1,000 emails, bunch of calls too. I have to say. Ibanking is pretty cool. Much of the things I do are very similar to the things I would do in equity research too. Real fast paced though.

What is the CFA jobline?

yes, through a recruiter. A friend of mine also just landed a great job, think he went through a recruiter as well. As strangedays said, some recruiters are actually useful, but it’s painful slogging through all of them to get to the ones that will help. good luck strangedays…

Care sharing the name of this recruiter, DoubleDip?

Headhunters suck. They take a third of your salary and they’re just not that good. Keep your head up. That’s all we can do currently.

I know a few HH’s that are quite helpful but i knew both before they enter the industry. The ones i have met through co workers all suck. A guy in chicago called me about a job to tell me I was not a good fit. But if he could contact people in my firm then asked me for phone numbers. i hung up on dude

johnn33fb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Curious if anyone will be attending the 2nd Annual > Investing in Your Career in Boston on September > 23rd. Also did anyone here attend last year and > if so can you comment on if this event is > worthwhile. I live about 3 hours outside of > Boston but am trying to find any entry-level > position in the city and want to know if this > would be a useful tool to finding a job or if I > should just keep trying to use CFAI Jobline. I was thinking of going. havent decided yet. I may go last minute.

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Go back to basics: tighten up the resume and cover > letter for the position you are applying for, > network, send thank you notes/emails, be > enthusiastic about the job, etc. well said. After all, what goes down will have to come up. Sooner of later the U.S will manage to get back to the recovery stage once again. Is the people who are in the economy that makes it happen. Also never demand for a high salary during hard times like this.

CONGRATS - VERY INSPIRING!!! jlx177 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Took a job as an ibanking associate at a small but > highly reputable firm. > > Graduated from MBA program this past May. Wanted > something in either equity research or ibanking. > Did everything imaginable. Was told numerous times > it would be impossible to land something. > > School career services (ehhh) > headhunters (worst people ever) > job boards (somewhat helpful) > networking (most helpful by far) > > In the end, it was through networking that I > landed the gig. Took 3 months of full-time > searching post MBA to land the job. Sent at least > informational interview 1,000 emails, bunch of > calls too. > > I have to say. Ibanking is pretty cool. Much of > the things I do are very similar to the things I > would do in equity research too. Real fast paced > though.