Anyone go to the KPMG online careers fair?

So anyone go to this thing online that was on over the last coujple of days. abour 20 or so countries had online rooms you could go into rooms and chat with reps about things. And there were a few live seminars on the first day where they just spoke about life at KPMG. Anyway, it was a good ambitious idea, and what not, and could have worked well, but what a crock of horse sh*t! The reps where hopeless and couldnt really answer any specific questions and just pointed you at the website. And they were so slow at responding. Cos they were getting bombarded I believe by f…ing banal pointless questions from all these indian and pakistani’s on there just asking things like “I want to work in Australia at KPMG, could you hire me?”. Not neing racist here, its just thats the nationality they were mostly, dont get me wrong there were plenty of other twats from my country australia too! Anyway anyone else check it out, if so what you think?

Isn’t career fairs mostly for entry level positions?

What area are you looking at in KPMG? I used to work at Deloitte…rough…but still good to do.

this fair was for both entry and experienced. Just show people about working for KPMG and answer questions etc. Was a uniquite concept being a global online version. In each booth you could also look at the jobs available and send your resume off and aparently they would get back to you about it in 24 to 48 hours. Im not looking at getting into KPMG, just wanted to find out a bit about big 4 life and get tips etc, as I just got a job tht I start in a month at another big 4, in transfer pricing

this fair was for both entry and experienced. Just show people about working for KPMG and answer questions etc. Was a uniquite concept being a global online version. In each booth you could also look at the jobs available and send your resume off and aparently they would get back to you about it in 24 to 48 hours. Im not looking at getting into KPMG, just wanted to find out a bit about big 4 life and get tips etc, as I just got a job tht I start in a month at another big 4, in transfer pricing

Hey, I have an interview for a Transfer Pricing role next week. Can you give me a breakdown of what skills they want or questions they asked you. I still have no real idea what Transfer Pricing is, mainly that it has alot to do with Tax. Do you know if is acceptable experience for the CFA?

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And they were so slow > at responding. Cos they were getting bombarded I > believe by f…ing banal pointless questions from > all these indian and pakistani’s on there just > asking things like “I want to work in Australia at > KPMG, could you hire me?”. Have you checked out Indian forums maddane? Have you really ever talked to an Indian or worked with one?? All powers to Australia (and I happen to know a couple of Australians) but people who make such sweeeeeping statements really are not doing any favor to the image of their respective countries.

ANUPAMJAIN008, I can only apologise, I did not mean for it to come out like it did, and readint it again I could have worded it a lot better. I think there were people like this from all countries, you just noticed the indians more because I guess they made up the bulk of the participants, especially since its such a large nation. I have worked with indians before and they are some of the kindest nicest and honorable smart workers I have ever encountered, truly, so I do apologise if it was a bit sweeping. I think there are just many indians who are trying to go and work overseas and so took over the fair a bit. So again accept my apologies if I offended. ADEHBONE, although the ultimate reason for transfer pricing is tax, but it really is not much like a traditional tax role at all. Its not a perfect science, its about trying to value and price international contributions correctly so they are at arms length. So you have to compare the transactions by using comparable transaction, and so things like risks, markets, product, and the lost goes on and on need to be compared, and adjustments need to be made for the differences. Anyway its something like that, you need to read up on it. Apparently at the big 4 I am at they recommend the CFA as professional study to dor for TPers, and I know a couple of them have managed to get the designation of their TP experience, because it is quite related and I guess it depends how you spin it to the CFAI. I do suspect though in other countries they would do CPA, CA or something like that instead, its just where I am they dont have those designations. Who is your interview with and where? They asked questions such as what are the traditional methods of pricing and the others? What are the important factors you need to look at when comparing? then they asked things like how would you split the profit between such and such inter related companies etc. Obviously it depends on your interviewers as well. They may not expect you to know much as I dont think mine did as it is an entry sort of role. But obviously you have to show you are a good problem solver and thinker and a good fit for the job and team,and a clued in guy (or girl)

@ Maddane… no offences taken and none meant! What level are you taking?

Will be taking level 2 in june I am pretty sure. What about yourself, and where do you work, what do you do

We’ll be taking L2 together (if you happen to take it in '09)! I am pursuing MBA and pass out by March (hopefully). Its a tough year to pass outta an MBA for Finance people but all these events have meant that we get to learn a lot from seeing all of these so closely!

I dont get the whole MBA thing, I dont think its very big where I come from (Australia) at all. I think they just value experience a lot more. Each have there benefits and drawbakcs I guess

Thanks for the response, maddane. Yes I am trying to read up on it now, it seems to be very much problem solving and require a broad skill set which is why I applied. It is with a Big4 firm, in their Toronto office. Methods of pricing, comparing hmm I guess time to start looking at old management accounting books.

yeh, I think it may require a broad range of skills. I dont really know I only start in a months time. But i sure hope so. I am a bit concerned that maybe it is a narrow focus so exit opportunities may not be many, but I the way I see it you are focusing on transactions and industries, so maybe it is good to use as experience to get into transaction services (Ie corporate finance, m&a) at a big 4, and maybe into IB. Although hopefully it also gives you experience to get into lots of other things, cos I doubt I want to do IBing at a later stage anyway.

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yeh, I think it may require a broad range of > skills. I dont really know I only start in a > months time. But i sure hope so. > > I am a bit concerned that maybe it is a narrow > focus so exit opportunities may not be many, but I > the way I see it you are focusing on transactions > and industries, so maybe it is good to use as > experience to get into transaction services (Ie > corporate finance, m&a) at a big 4, and maybe into > IB. Although hopefully it also gives you > experience to get into lots of other things, cos I > doubt I want to do IBing at a later stage anyway. I am planned to start in TP at a Big 4 overseas. From the research I have done, the skills you gain in TP during the first 2-3 yrs are similar to those gained in Ibanking and management consulting (valuation, data scrubbing, comparable analysis, etc). Therefore, if you wanted to lateral into another industry, you should do so before you become too specialized (first 1-3 yrs). From the credible sources that I have talked to, possible exit opps in TP are usually corporate development at a multinational company, positions at law firms, other big 4, top MBA, and boutique TP consulting firms. It is also possible for TP folks to lateral into the Valuation department of a big 4 or boutique, gain experience, and go from there. Hope that helps!

Thanks alot, japped sounds like a very interesting opportunity.

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I dont get the whole MBA thing, I dont think its > very big where I come from (Australia) at all. I > think they just value experience a lot more. Each > have there benefits and drawbakcs I guess Are you still in Australia, maddane? I thought you were moving up to Denmark this fall?

I have Medhiocre. Japped thanks for the sum up there, sounds good to hear that someone has backed up what I belive u do in your first few years of TP, because some other dude I know reckoned it was just compliance and filling in forms. I tried my hardest to explain it to him, but he just wouldnt accept it, and couldnt understand its nto like a normal tax rol, very frustrating. Anyway where did you do your research to find this stuff, would love to read up more on it?

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have Medhiocre. > > Japped thanks for the sum up there, sounds good to > hear that someone has backed up what I belive u do > in your first few years of TP, because some other > dude I know reckoned it was just compliance and > filling in forms. I tried my hardest to explain it > to him, but he just wouldnt accept it, and couldnt > understand its nto like a normal tax rol, very > frustrating. > Anyway where did you do your research to find this > stuff, would love to read up more on it? Yea, I totally know what you’re talking about in regards to the tax thing. Some ppl think its just another specialized section in tax and we just fill out tax return forms lol. I know a person at my school who did an internship at PWC in the TP department, and she told me about all her duties. She said there is a lot of industry research and comparable analysis (which to me is awesome) as part of her job. She had two previous Big 4 internal audit interships and she said that TP is leaps and bounds better. Also much more difficult to get into, especially right out of undergrad. My other sources include some ppl on this forum, CREDIBLE sources on Wall Street Oasis (from a guy that’s actually a TP consultant-former BB I-banker and a BB banker who has friends at Big4/law firms that are in TP) and some couple others. Overall, I think Im pretty excited about starting work in TP. I think its definitely better than traditional audit/tax in terms of work at the Big 4.